Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Only 17 hours until the Autobots and Decepticons face off.

Can't wait.

loughshore lad

Can't understand some of the Tyrone posters dismissing McBrearty, he is only 19. Peter Harte is seen as a talisman for Tyrone, has he performed significantly better than McBrearty as last two years?

In terms of Kyle Coney, he has played two full club games in about 13 months, expecting him to have a major impact could be ambitious but hopefully not.

ONeill

Bad old days after the battle of Ballybofey

Friday, May 24, 2013
ULSTER SFC QUARTER-FINAL:
Donegal v Tyrone

Sunday's Ulster clash between Donegal and Tyrone has generated oodles of interest but the last time the neighbouring counties met in the championship in Ballybofey, the headlines were for all the wrong reasons.

"Donegal GAA will withdraw from Ulster?" read The Donegal Democrat's front page on Friday, June 29, 1973 — five days after Tyrone toppled the reigning provincial champions.

"As a result of their experiences in recent cross-border games in general and last Sunday's deplorable scenes in particular, Donegal GAA may seek to leave Ulster and affiliate with Connacht," the paper stated.

Under player-manager Brian McEniff, Donegal won a first Ulster championship the previous July in Clones, defeating Tyrone 2-13 to 1-11 in an occasionally tempestuous final.

Neilly Gallagher, who had been coaxed back after a two-year sabbatical, scored three points to put Donegal 0-3 to 0-1 up when the teams met again in 1973.

Gallagher and his marker Mickey John Forbes had, according to the Gaoth Dobhair man, been "throwing thumps" at one another from the first whistle. After 15 minutes, with the ball at the other end of the pitch, the Tyrone defender took his retribution.

Reported in the newspaper as a "savage assault... in cold blood with premeditation," acting Donegal County Secretary Frank Muldoon later claimed the blow "was something more than a fist".

Having been taken to a nearby café first, Gallagher was taken to Letterkenny General Hospital where "surgeons managed to save his eye".

40 years passed before, this week, Gallagher broke court on the issue publicly for the first time.

"He hit me with the fist," he says of Forbes. "The reason he opened me was because I was so close. I wasn't expecting it. I was concussed and got seven stitches. That's all I remember from that game."

Antrim referee Hugh McPolin missed the incident and having consulted with an umpire, took no action. The game descended into warfare as McEniff and Joe Winston Curran were levelled as was Tyrone's Patsy Hetheringon, who scored six points and Seamus Donaghey, Tyrone's wing-forward, was dismissed for striking Andy Curran before half-time.

"He got sent off for giving me a box on the nose and busting it," recalls Curran. "There were some wild tackles. It's a mystery more players weren't injured."

The incidents poisoned an already edgy atmosphere. Visiting supporters were blamed by locals for their threatening behaviour, hurtling bottles and stones. Fights broke out like bushfires.

"I was sitting in the dugout with the subs not even being able to warm-up," said Kieran Keeney, Gallagher's 20-year-old replacement, who scored the only goal.

"It was a frightening experience. Most of the Donegal players just wanted to get out of the ground."

Tyrone, inspired by Hetherington and Frank McGuigan, broke free in the last two minutes to win 0-12 to 1-7. Both teams fought their way off the pitch but the unnamed local journalist held little sympathy for Donegal.

"Donegal beat themselves, or rather the management, mentors or whatever you call them did," he wrote. "What did the mentors do? Damn all. It's time the players demanded an explanation.

"After all, if one of them has a bad game he is dropped. But when the sideline display their sheer incompetence, as they did so well on Sunday, nothing happens. They remain a threat to the progress of the team. This is the heart of Donegal's troubles and until it is resolved, good players will feel frustrated and abused.

"Two other points — the referee was well and truly out of his depth. Anyone who saw last year's game in Clones knew this one would need tight control. Mr McPolin could hardly handle schoolboys. And the scenes afterwards, amongst the Donegal team and its supporters, were to say the least, a disgrace."

Bars in Ballybofey closed to avoid further confrontation and away fans were accused of causing trouble in Castlefin on the way home. Muldoon called Ulster Council Secretary Gerry Arthurs the next morning, seeking an investigation and said: "Donegal County Board officials were very worried about the danger to their players in games with teams from across the border, because of the attitude of the six counties' spectators and indeed, some of their players and officials."

Forbes later received a ban, while Curran was warned about his future behaviour, as was Muldoon for his comments. Tyrone won Ulster before losing to Cork in the All-Ireland semi-final.

Nothing ever became of Donegal's threat to join Connacht. In 1974, still under McEniff, they reclaimed Ulster with a replayed victory over Down. Donegal had won 1-9 to 0-8 at Healy Park in the first round, although the scars remained. They togged out in Ballybofey, travelled to Omagh to play the match before returning home to shower afterwards.

"It came out of the blue," Keeney concludes of 1973. "There was no great rivalry between Donegal and Tyrone but there was certainly an unsavoury atmosphere at MacCumhaill Park that day. I'd never experienced the like of it before or thankfully ever since."
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Good luck to Tyrone today, we are going to need our best performance for years and hope Donegal have an off day to sneak it. I definitely think we are stronger than 2011/12 and we will only find out today if Donegal have the same hunger as last year. Finally, hoping that all the talk this evening is about football and not about the referee or controversial incidents. It appears the game in '73 had enough for half a century!

My match day enthusiasm has tipped the balance, I am going for a two point win for the red hands; 1-10 to 0-11.

BTW I was over in Ballybofey yesterday and got stuck in traffic at Castlefin (the Strabane side) as there is a garden show/festival on yestrday and today. Could be nasty jams there later, going via Castlederg will mean you won't hit that traffic as you'll come out the far side of Castlefin.

theticklemister

Quote from: loughshore lad on May 25, 2013, 10:55:05 PM
Can't understand some of the Tyrone posters dismissing McBrearty, he is only 19. Peter Harte is seen as a talisman for Tyrone, has he performed significantly better than McBrearty as last two years?

In terms of Kyle Coney, he has played two full club games in about 13 months, expecting him to have a major impact could be ambitious but hopefully not.

Mcbrearty has been played out of position at senior level and this is the reason he has failed to sparkle a such. If ye seen him at the u21 uc this year when he was played up the middle in the full forward line you will see why he has been so much talked about.

BluestackBoy

Big day is here, damp with no wind to talk of.

I'm really looking forward to this & I hope everyone travelling has a safe journey & an enjoyable day whatever the result.

Donegal by 4
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

From the Bunker

Quote from: theticklemister on May 26, 2013, 09:09:21 AM
Quote from: loughshore lad on May 25, 2013, 10:55:05 PM

Mcbrearty has been played out of position at senior level and this is the reason he has failed to sparkle a such. If ye seen him at the u21 uc this year when he was played up the middle in the full forward line you will see why he has been so much talked about.

Ah, under 21 is a different ball game to Senior. More time on the ball. Less cynical. And he's the Big fish in the small pond. He's still a (very) young lad (for Senior) and not strong enough for a central role in the Senior team.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 26, 2013, 09:34:28 AM
Big day is here, damp with no wind to talk of.

I'm really looking forward to this & I hope everyone travelling has a safe journey & an enjoyable day whatever the result.

Donegal by 4

fancy the same weather but a different result...Tyrone by 2
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

maggie

Where mite someone on the mainland watch the game online??

Fuzzman

You can get bbc NI on sat freeview under other channels if you've scanned it or search the web for bbc 2 NI. I for one will be worried about McBrearty today. Hopefully no repeat of those antics 40 years ago

BennyHarp

Quote from: maggie on May 26, 2013, 10:46:33 AM
Where mite someone on the mainland watch the game online??

Channel 972 bbc ni on sky or bbc ni website
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

Donegal by 4? i think i go for a draw myself

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 26, 2013, 11:20:58 AM
You can get bbc NI on sat freeview under other channels if you've scanned it or search the web for bbc 2 NI. I for one will be worried about McBrearty today. Hopefully no repeat of those antics 40 years ago

McBrearty could be the dark horse in this game. If he clicks it will go a long way towards a Donegal win.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

theticklemister

The mainland is the place to be to watch this I tell ye!

seafoid

The winners of today's match will play the English champions, Hull Kingston Rovers and the winners of that match qualify for the Ulster semi final.