Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 24, 2013, 04:02:03 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2013, 03:16:03 PM
Interesting indeed reading those previews and stats.
One thing that worried me about Tyrone last year v Donegal was how few shots they actually made.
I know you have to be patient and not allow them to make you shoot from under pressure at bad angles but as I said in another post this week, to me Donegal seem to get more easier scores from up the middle areas whereas we seem to have to work much harder. Sean O'Neill scored a great point last year from far out but up the middle as did Penrose.

I'd hope to see more of the same this year rather than too much of this sideways hand passing back and forward and then getting turned over.

I've read in a few places this week that Mickey wouldn't be that shocked if McGuinness brought something new to the table. We're all expecting them to be very defensive but could he surprise us all? You'd imagine if he played Murphy at midfield he'd clean out the 2 Cava boys.

Do ye think the Donegal fans will be booing Morgans' frees on Sunday. We often give out about the Dubs doing this but I've noticed its crept into a lot more grounds. I would expect their to be an electric atmosphere on Sunday & I'd say Morgan will be in for a nice little welcome with his first free, especially after how he reacted v Donegal in Omagh this year.

Interesting. If Mc Hugh was injured he could well end up there with Kavanagh assuming Mc Hugh's role and the impressive Ross Wherity in the full forward line. Looking forward to seeing how Mc Brearty has come on. Doesnt get the deserved credit in my opinion!!

I don't think McBrearty scores enough for a man in the full forward line. 

Really hoping to see Coney play on Sunday, had a bit of luck with injuries just when it seemed that he was taking over as Tyrones main forward last year.  Hopefully it wont be long until he gets back to that level. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 24, 2013, 04:09:39 PM
One thing that worried me about Tyrone last year v Donegal was how few shots they actually made.
I know you have to be patient and not allow them to make you shoot from under pressure at bad angles but as I said in another post this week, to me Donegal seem to get more easier scores from up the middle areas whereas we seem to have to work much harder. Sean O'Neill scored a great point last year from far out but up the middle as did Penrose.

I'd hope to see more of the same this year rather than too much of this sideways hand passing back and forward and then getting turned over.

I've read in a few places this week that Mickey wouldn't be that shocked if McGuinness brought something new to the table. We're all expecting them to be very defensive but could he surprise us all? You'd imagine if he played Murphy at midfield he'd clean out the 2 Cava boys.

Do ye think the Donegal fans will be booing Morgans' frees on Sunday. We often give out about the Dubs doing this but I've noticed its crept into a lot more grounds. I would expect their to be an electric atmosphere on Sunday & I'd say Morgan will be in for a nice little welcome with his first free, especially after how he reacted v Donegal in Omagh this year.

Interesting. If Mc Hugh was injured he could well end up there with Kavanagh assuming Mc Hugh's role and the impressive Ross Wherity in the full forward line. Looking forward to seeing how Mc Brearty has come on. Doesnt get the deserved credit in my opinion!!

Really hoping to see Coney play on Sunday, had a bit of luck with injuries just when it seemed that he was taking over as Tyrones main forward last year.  Hopefully it wont be long until he gets back to that level. 

That's because he played further out the field last year and done plenty of donkey work. Also he was 18 last year. Yes 18!!!!! I'm surprised you don't love him! You lads invented defensive corner forwards in the mould of that plague Penrose ;)

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 24, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

You say this a lot, but he doesn't play in the full forward line, at least not last year. He was basically a link man/ playmaker in the half forwards. From what I've seen, he is a very intelligent player with excellent vision. Hopefully he'll get more chance to demonstrate it this season, as well as more scores. For one, he dropped too many balls into the keepers hands last year.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2013, 10:54:30 AM
I've a friend from Tyrone and he reckons they'll walk this.

Then your friend is a fool ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

macdanger2

Do ye think the Donegal fans will be booing Morgans' frees on Sunday. We often give out about the Dubs doing this but I've noticed its crept into a lot more grounds.

I have to say, there was no booing for frees in the Galway / Mayo game last weekend. Granted, it was only for the first 20 minutes where the game was in the balance but credit to both sets of supporters for it

BluestackBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 25, 2013, 02:20:34 PM
Do ye think the Donegal fans will be booing Morgans' frees on Sunday. We often give out about the Dubs doing this but I've noticed its crept into a lot more grounds.

I have to say, there was no booing for frees in the Galway / Mayo game last weekend. Granted, it was only for the first 20 minutes where the game was in the balance but credit to both sets of supporters for it

I would love to think that there wouldn't be but I'm afraid............
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

armaghniac

QuoteI have to say, there was no booing for frees in the Galway / Mayo game last weekend.

There will be booing tomorrow. Donegal "fans" are mostly blowins from soccer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Fuzzman , u do more than a fair share of booing uself

Rois

Anyone need a stand ticket? There's one somewhere on the ground in Belfast city centre - best guess beside macaroon stall at market at city hall.   >:(

western exile

Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2013, 11:09:21 AM
Quote from: Bensars on May 24, 2013, 10:44:19 AM
Certainly seems one of the most anticipated games in a few years that i can remember. A lot of neutral interest. Bit suprised by the numbers going for tyrone also ( probably more endorsement of Mickey Harte than anything) and by the bookies with Tyrone at 7/4 which is tempting.

Should be a cracker !   

Haven't seen a single press pundit tipping Donegal. Presumably a combination of doubts about Donegal's hunger and the fitness/sharpness of Lacey and McHugh, Tyrone's league form and perceived superior squad.

Irish Times this weekend, Seán Moran et al, tipping Donegal

Redhand Santa

Jason Sherlock in star tipped Donegal. Brolly has tipped them too.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Looking forward to the game tomorrow and hoping that Tyrone can put it up to Donegal. I like the look of the team and glad that we have two real scoring threats in the forwards in SON and McAliskey. Would imagine Coney is a bit sharper now than he was for the league final and he is a good option to have to come on and offer a scoring threat from distance. I do wonder a bit about the lack of pace in the wing back positions but Gormley and Justy are both great players and good men to have on the team, particularly if the game is as tight as many suggest. Would like to see Cassidy get a good runout too, there is a strong argument for a 100% fit Cassidy to be starting.

I reckon we will see a very different Donegal from the team who were relegated from the league and I fear they will have a bit too much for Tyrone this time.

Redhand Santa

Dara O Cinneide has also tipped Donegal in the examiner. Really looking forward to tomorrow. A win would be Tyrone's biggest in the championship in a few years - probably since 08.

Fuzzman

Best of luck to both teams and lets hope it's a good clean battle with the best team winning. We could meet again. 

Jinxy

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 24, 2013, 07:26:41 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 24, 2013, 10:54:30 AM
I've a friend from Tyrone and he reckons they'll walk this.

Then your friend is a fool ;D ;D ;D

You're just anti-Tyrone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.