Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on May 09, 2013, 01:02:02 PM
Lads dun na gnall came out first, they get home advantage. End of.

Great game in prospect and no club game for that weekend so happy days.

Once again its a bollocksy rule by the GAA which serves no purpose in the modern game. Unless a ground has the capablity of holding the crowd that is likley to want to attend then it shouldnt even be in the running to hold a championship game. And unless a rule can be applied the same in EVERY case then it should be abandoned. Otherwise, every home team should HAVE TO play at home if this is the case. It shouldnt be up to the home county board to decide where the match is played. How many times have Dublin played outside of Croker? They cant always be drawn out first?

The GAA has a responsiblity to all its members, not just a select few who think they are super fans. I get to as many games as I can and due to my circumstances i cant make a McKenna cup match on a Tuesday night as much as I'd want to. If we went down the road of only catering for uber fans sure why build an 82000 seater stadium - would some of ye be happy with 10,00 at the All Ireland final?

One other point, its disgraceful that an Under 16 is charged full whack for a ticket because of the narrow mindedness of a backward county board. The game is for the people, not for a select few and if we basically exclude our youth from the games then we are on a slippery slope. My love of GAA is based around going to these big games in the early eighties, enjoying the atmosphere, getting a sense of what the whole thing is all about and what it means to people. It a pity that this opportunity is denied to many underage for this game.
That was never a square ball!!

drici

22 - 09 - 2005

A nine-month-old Tyrone fan is in danger of missing out on Sunday's All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final due to Croke Park's firm stance on its ticket allocation policy.

Everyone attending this weekend's showpiece final between beaten Ulster finalists Tyrone and reigning Munster and All Ireland Champions Kerry according to the GAA, and that includes little Leah McMenamin. The well-travelled baby, who is without a ticket of her own, will not be allowed to sit on her mother Jenny's lap.

A Croke Park spokeswoman said: "Unless she has a ticket, like everybody else, we will not allow the baby into the stadium. If parents want a nine month-old baby to be in Croke Park - they need a ticket

Jenny countered: "It's a joke the way they are treating us because of Leah.

"If we get her a ticket, then there is no place for me to breastfeed her. They say they don't have the facilities. It's ridiculous.

"Croke Park is meant to be a family-friendly stadium - but not for us it's not."

Rossfan

Is it time to open a "Whinging" Section on GAAboard or is it there already as the Tyrone County Section?
Jasus those people are some whingers. :-[
Are they ever happy or even remotely content about bloody anything?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2013, 08:04:21 PM
Is it time to open a "Whinging" Section on GAAboard or is it there already as the Tyrone County Section?
Jasus those people are some whingers. :-[
Are they ever happy or even remotely content about bloody anything?

This sounds like a whinge!
That was never a square ball!!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 09, 2013, 03:07:19 PM

Once again its a bollocksy rule by the GAA which serves no purpose in the modern game. Unless a ground has the capablity of holding the crowd that is likley to want to attend then it shouldnt even be in the running to hold a championship game. And unless a rule can be applied the same in EVERY case then it should be abandoned. Otherwise, every home team should HAVE TO play at home if this is the case. It shouldnt be up to the home county board to decide where the match is played. How many times have Dublin played outside of Croker? They cant always be drawn out first?

The GAA has a responsiblity to all its members, not just a select few who think they are super fans. I get to as many games as I can and due to my circumstances i cant make a McKenna cup match on a Tuesday night as much as I'd want to. If we went down the road of only catering for uber fans sure why build an 82000 seater stadium - would some of ye be happy with 10,00 at the All Ireland final?

One other point, its disgraceful that an Under 16 is charged full whack for a ticket because of the narrow mindedness of a backward county board. The game is for the people, not for a select few and if we basically exclude our youth from the games then we are on a slippery slope. My love of GAA is based around going to these big games in the early eighties, enjoying the atmosphere, getting a sense of what the whole thing is all about and what it means to people. It a pity that this opportunity is denied to many underage for this game.

Fair enough Benny, then do away with the present system of first out gets home draw. The fault here is not Donegal's but the system.
The other thing that should be done would be to have the championship draw done on a seeded basis. That way the big teams that will draw a crowd will be drawn later in the championship at a neutral venue.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

donegal lad

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 09, 2013, 03:07:19 PM

beeny you do realise that the ulster council had the final say on where this game was played. yes donegal wanted to play it at home and they are fully entitled to that request but ulster council could still have fixed this game for clones.

these 2 teams met last year in a semi final of ulster and there were only 17500 people in attendance a figure ballybofey is able to accomadate. the big problem with this game is the small ticket allocation both counties got because of the ulster council allocating tickets to all other counties in the provenice (which i hope will be bought by genuine gaa faas but have my fears that people will get these tickets and be only interested in making a quick buck on them)

glens73

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/declan-bogue/antrims-day-in-the-sun-well-deserved-29250434.html

There is a footballer in Tyrone who stands head and shoulders above more vaunted and famous names in club matches, yet has no interest in the county scene.

Is this true? Who is he referring to?

omagh_gael

Quote from: glens73 on May 09, 2013, 09:13:40 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/declan-bogue/antrims-day-in-the-sun-well-deserved-29250434.html

There is a footballer in Tyrone who stands head and shoulders above more vaunted and famous names in club matches, yet has no interest in the county scene.

Eoin McCusker from Dromore? Think he is a nephew of Peter Canavan if I'm not mistaken.

trileacman

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 09, 2013, 09:32:17 PM
Quote from: glens73 on May 09, 2013, 09:13:40 PM

Eoin McCusker from Dromore? Think he is a nephew of Peter Canavan if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah its McCusker.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

Jimmy Barry White - from brocagh -a big game player.

Fuzzman

I'm too sensible in my old age but any chance of some real discussion about this game in the weeks leading up to it.

I was reading that article in the Belfast telegraph about Conor Clarke and how we're going into a first round championship match with so many places still up for grabs.

As Brian McGuigan said a few months back in the GL life, that even the players themselves struggled to predict Mickey's starting line ups over the years but this year it seems he has got lots of options all over the park but certainly not a strong settled defence by any means.

IMHO, only Morgan, Joey, Sean Cavanagh, SoN, Mattie & Mark Donnelly and I suppose Peter Harte are the only definites if fit.

Gormley,  McCarron, Colm Cav, Penrose and maybe Clarke would be in the next bracket of probable starters. That's 12 so far

That leaves Justy, PJ, Carlin, McNamee, McKenna, Cassidy, McAliskey, Coney, McCurry

My own personal selection for the Donegal game would be

Morgan - Needs to keep his head as the home crowd will be on his back right from the start I think
McCarron to mark McFadden
Joey - To mark Murphy
PJ - To mark McBrearty who sounds like he's on fire at club & U21 level
Conor - can win kick outs to the wing, kick good ball to forwards & can take a score-our T.O'Shea
Justy - will probably play as an extra man in front of Murphy with Petey or Mattie playing 6.
McNamee - I think he's done enough to prove his worth but maybe to be replaced by Carlin

Sean Cav - Needs to get back to where he was at start of the league. Has been quiet last 2 games.
Cassidy - Has showed he is big & strong to compete and catch clean ball. Passing & decision
               making often lets him down though but better than Colm at the moment if FIT.

Petey  -  We all know he has it in him and he's a warrior and worker which this game needs.
Mark D - Has had a great 2013 so far and has added goals to his overall hard workrate
Matt D - Has proved in the last few games how could he can be and has added scores now to his
             already strong running and defensive game.

Penrose - Have chosen him over Coney for his hard work and running against this Donegal defence.
                He's been quieter than usual I thought this year but he's still got a sweet left foot and
                can turn on a 6pence. Remember he nearly won it for us last year had it not been for that
                amazing save
S.O'Neill -  Showed v Kildare that the old Stevie is still there and he's added a bit of robustness too
McAliskey - Showed in the league final what he is truly capable of. Took the mantle of main ball
                  winner and scorer from Stevie and did not shirk his responsibilities.

I'd really appreciate if a few of ye could discuss what team you'd play and more importantly say WHY. What strengths and weaknesses do you see players having and who will fit best for this war of attrition which we are expecting.
Maybe Donegal will surprise us and go all out an attack.

J70

I don't blame Tyrone supporters for being pissed off at the ticket issue, but I also think Donegal are fully entitled to fight for our home advantage. On the idea that only teams with adequate capacity should get home advantage, that would leave with with a situation where no one outside of the likes of Dublin, Antrim, Monaghan, Cork, Tipperary etc would ever have it for big games i.e. counties where large capacities exist due to provincially supported selection and development.

trileacman

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2013, 01:49:51 PM
I don't blame Tyrone supporters for being pissed off at the ticket issue, but I also think Donegal are fully entitled to fight for our home advantage. On the idea that only teams with adequate capacity should get home advantage, that would leave with with a situation where no one outside of the likes of Dublin, Antrim, Monaghan, Cork, Tipperary etc would ever have it for big games i.e. counties where large capacities exist due to provincially supported selection and development.

Not really, this is an exceptional circumstance. If Donegal were playing any other team in Ulster in the first round then Ballybofey would accommodate the crowd. Plus the amount of 20k plus stadiums around the country would accommodate nearly all the first round ties, bar maybe 1 a year.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BluestackBoy

Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

Not really, this is an exceptional circumstance. If Donegal were playing any other team in Ulster in the first round then Ballybofey would accommodate the crowd. Plus the amount of 20k plus stadiums around the country would accommodate nearly all the first round ties, bar maybe 1 a year.

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone. As well as that  parts of Donegal are a 5 hour return trip from Clones & some of us are still paying for last year!!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

nrico2006

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 10, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 10, 2013, 02:03:29 PM

The main problem from Donegal's point of view is that Clones geographically turns the game into a home tie for Tyrone. As well as that  parts of Donegal are a 5 hour return trip from Clones & some of us are still paying for last year!!!

Clones is in Monaghan.  Tyrone and Donegal are separate Counties.  It is in no way anything near a home game for Tyrone.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'