Flying the national flag at floodlight GAA games

Started by gardrumchum, September 22, 2012, 10:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardrumchum

Should the Tricolour be flown after dusk at floodlight GAA games?

theticklemister

skeog

raised at dawn lowered at sunrise so no sun under floodlights

armaghniac

Irish government flag regulations are quite clear that the flag should be lowered at dusk. You could take the alternative 'republican' approach and leave it there until it rots.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Leo

Quote from: gardrumchum on September 22, 2012, 10:12:59 PM
Should the Tricolour be flown after dusk at floodlight GAA games?
Are we so insecure about it that we need to fly it at every tea-party anyway?
We borrowed this type of terrirorial demarcation from our imperialist neighbours and now practiise it to the point of  disregard and disrespect.
Fierce tame altogether

Aaron Boone

Was this in ref to the high-scoring late-night spectacular in Healy Pk on Friday night?

gardrumchum

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 23, 2012, 12:59:29 AM
Was this in ref to the high-scoring late-night spectacular in Healy Pk on Friday night?

Yes. thought some of the seasoned ages on here could answer the question. So far we have:
Quote from: theticklemister on September 22, 2012, 10:20:15 PM
Yes at all times.

and

Quote from: skeog on September 22, 2012, 10:33:04 PM
raised at dawn lowered at sunrise so no sun under floodlights

The GAA dictate the flag should be flown at all games but Irish Government protocol wants it down at dusk. It seems it can be kept up after dusk for public meetings - would a GAA match under floodlights be a public meeting

Anyone know the GAA guidance is on this?

Eamonnca1

GAA regulation was probably written in the days before the invention of floodlights and nobody has thought to update it.

theticklemister

Quote from: armaghniac on September 22, 2012, 11:20:13 PM
Irish government flag regulations are quite clear that the flag should be lowered at dusk. You could take the alternative 'republican' approach and leave it there until it rots.

The Irish government flag protocol means nothing to me; it is a subversive 26 county statlet which give up its territorial right for a 32 county republic. Although I disagree a lot with many GAA policies I have respect them in the way it is a 32 county set up.

The flag should be taken down if no GAA business is occuring I do believe, but if a match is taken place the flag should be there.

What the flag not present during a club championship game in Omagh last night?

Hardy

fitzroyalty

I don't see the need for the flag (or anthem) unless it's a final. I was at a championship match yesterday evening in Armagh, the flag wasn't on the flagpole by the pitch side (on a pole at the top corner of the pitch) and the anthem wasn't played.

rrhf

Is it true that Kerry wouldn't  fly the Tyrone flag in Killarney?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 23, 2012, 09:26:28 AM
I don't see the need for the flag (or anthem) unless it's a final. I was at a championship match yesterday evening in Armagh, the flag wasn't on the flagpole by the pitch side (on a pole at the top corner of the pitch) and the anthem wasn't played.

In every club championship game in Derry the anthem is played/sung and the flag is flowing. If it is a double header then the anthem is sung during the two games.

ONeill

During the two games? Fair play til yez. 120 mins of sheer patriotism.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.