All Stars 2012

Started by yellowcard, August 08, 2012, 10:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Mark McHugh wing back All-star instead of Keegan and Kevin Mcloughlin wing forward All-Star. everyone happy then?

imtommygunn

While there is one glaring omission in my view that's one of the best jobs they've done in picking the all stars in years.

There are usually a lot more mistakes.

I think walsh is a great pick too - i think he could well turn into one of the best midfielders of his era a la dara o'se / mcdermott / tohill.

Flynn is debatable and arguably the token dub while dillon probably got it on having more "profile".

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 25, 2012, 09:19:34 PM
Mark McHugh wing back All-star instead of Keegan and Kevin Mcloughlin wing forward All-Star. everyone happy then?

Er no. McHugh did not play wing back or wing forward. Obviously Keegan is a much better no.5 and McLoughlin a much better 12. Not arguing about selecting McHugh but his jersey no. was irrelevant. So he could just as well have been picked at 3, 4 or midfield. If he was picked at the expense of Higgins or Caff. it would be more accectable than shafting McLoughlin.

McLoughlin and Keegan should have been the Mayo autos.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on October 25, 2012, 08:39:31 PM
First time since 2003 no animals.

The backlash will be fierce.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2012, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 25, 2012, 10:21:27 PM

Er no. McHugh did not play wing back or wing forward. Obviously Keegan is a much better no.5 and McLoughlin a much better 12. Not arguing about selecting McHugh but his jersey no. was irrelevant. So he could just as well have been picked at 3, 4 or midfield. If he was picked at the expense of Higgins or Caff. it would be more accectable than shafting McLoughlin.

That pisses me off. When the Sunday Game panel were picking their team, they picked players all over the shop. These players should be picked according to the number on their back. If Mark McHugh ran up and down the pitch in every game and was very effective in doing so, that is just how the role of a wing half forward has developed. There will come a day when no goalkeeper is selected but a corner forward is stuck in in his place.

Nonsense. Load of shite if you think about it Hardstation. McHugh could have been wearing no 15 and McFadden or Murphy 12 and his role and Donegal s shape would have been the same. McHugh s role in Donegal s set-up not necessarily the be all. They could have hung any jersey on him. Time for squad numbers I reckon!

As for your idea of selecting a cornerforward instead of keeper - well fine! I suspect McHugh role (12 or15 wtf) was as effective in keeping Donegal goal proof as that of the keeper!

All I m saying is that if McHugh had to be selected - and he had of course - it should not have been at the expense of McLoughlin. McLoughlin should have been the first of the hfs and then negotiate. The fact that it turned out like this just makes a joke of the whole awards. But they ve been flawed for some time. Just that this is a new low.

If Mayo did manage to win the AI this year McLoughlin would have been in the running for player of the year. He would have been the leading Mayo player in contention. I doubt many Mayos would argue with that?

RMDrive

Quote from: moysider on October 25, 2012, 11:29:15 PM

That pisses me off. When the Sunday Game panel were picking their team, they picked players all over the shop. These players should be picked according to the number on their back. If Mark McHugh ran up and down the pitch in every game and was very effective in doing so, that is just how the role of a wing half forward has developed. There will come a day when no goalkeeper is selected but a corner forward is stuck in in his place.

Nonsense. Load of shite if you think about it Hardstation. McHugh could have been wearing no 15 and McFadden or Murphy 12 and his role and Donegal s shape would have been the same. McHugh s role in Donegal s set-up not necessarily the be all. They could have hung any jersey on him. Time for squad numbers I reckon!

As for your idea of selecting a cornerforward instead of keeper - well fine! I suspect McHugh role (12 or15 wtf) was as effective in keeping Donegal goal proof as that of the keeper!

All I m saying is that if McHugh had to be selected - and he had of course - it should not have been at the expense of McLoughlin. McLoughlin should have been the first of the hfs and then negotiate. The fact that it turned out like this just makes a joke of the whole awards. But they ve been flawed for some time. Just that this is a new low.

If Mayo did manage to win the AI this year McLoughlin would have been in the running for player of the year. He would have been the leading Mayo player in contention. I doubt many Mayos would argue with that?

Why are you linking McHugh's selection with McLoughlin's omission? Sure there is as good an argument about McLoughlin over Dillon as there is over McHugh.

And I reckon the "a new low" cry has been uttered every year of the all stars.

imtommygunn

Why would you not pick a guy that started every game at half forward in the position he started?

If he'd have been picked in the FF line, the FB line or any line he never played in then it would have been a joke to the FFs, coener backs etc. To pick him where he started all his games is what they should be doing and did.

The "modern" half forward is a role that has evolved very much ever since Brian Dooher. McHugh was probably the most effective WHF about this year.

Like is said above the biggest thing to me here is why wasn't the guy picked over Dillon? McHugh was a no brainer and was never getting picked in any other line at any stage and rightly so.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2012, 09:26:36 PM
While there is one glaring omission in my view that's one of the best jobs they've done in picking the all stars in years.

There are usually a lot more mistakes.

I think walsh is a great pick too - i think he could well turn into one of the best midfielders of his era a la dara o'se / mcdermott / tohill.

Flynn is debatable and arguably the token dub while dillon probably got it on having more "profile".

Aidan Walsh has the look of a Whelan for me, great it fits and starts but not consistent, I hope he proves me wrong

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 25, 2012, 10:45:47 AM
McLaughlin suffered from the "Dublin Player needs an All Star every year syndrome".

It was him or McCauley........................

Orchardman

that was some pure cringy stuff they had at the start with daly and o se

Gold

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 04, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: Gold on October 03, 2012, 10:17:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2012, 08:36:42 AM
No nominations for Antrim.

When is the last time Cavan won an all-Star ?

Defo deserved one. Especially if Longford etc are getting them.

They don't deserve any if they've supporters like you, gobshite.

How could anyone who knows anything about football question a nomination for Paul Barden?

I meant that Longford only got so far in the championship, around as far as Antrim, yet they got nominations and we didn't. Barden was this yr and has been, quality. We had quality performers too in a number of games, as good as the all star winners (in loughrey and mick mccann) yet our games were not televised, yours were. That's the difference.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

moysider

Quote from: RMDrive on October 26, 2012, 08:08:18 AM

Why are you linking McHugh's selection with McLoughlin's omission? Sure there is as good an argument about McLoughlin over Dillon as there is over McHugh.

I didn t do the link - Hardstation made the point that player should be picked in the number they wore. I disagreed that s all.
Like McBrearty got no.7 but Thompson seemed to play 7 any time I saw Donegal play with McBrearty in a corner ( but of course never playing the old role). Surely McBrearty should have been selected at 4 then instead of Higgins?

Whats your point with McLoughlin instead of Dillon. Why not McHugh instead of Dillon?

I m sorry for opening my mouth about this, but anybody that thinks that McHugh played as a half- forward because he played with 12 on his back all year is only wasting everybody's time. 

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2012, 12:25:00 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 26, 2012, 11:55:38 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on October 26, 2012, 08:08:18 AM

I didn t do the link - Hardstation made the point that player should be picked in the number they wore. I disagreed that s all.
Like McBrearty got no.7 but Thompson seemed to play 7 any time I saw Donegal play with McBrearty in a corner ( but of course never playing the old role). Surely McBrearty should have been selected at 4 then instead of Higgins?

Whats your point with McLoughlin instead of Dillon. Why not McHugh instead of Dillon?

I m sorry for opening my mouth about this, but anybody that thinks that McHugh played as a half- forward because he played with 12 on his back all year is only wasting everybody's time.
Missed the show tonight. McBrearty was selected at 7?

WTF?

Serious edit!

McGlynn I meant. Apologies. But Thompson played 7 all year and was probably the best 7 around. But Donegal were so fluid that numbers meant damn all. Thats my point. If McGlynn was given 7 surely then McHugh could have been picked without the expense of Mcoughlin? If the same reasoning was applied then McGlynn would have taken Higgins award and I would have less issue with that. McLouglin has been easily our best player last few years. And for the game in general he s a breath of fresh air. He s a smaller lad with class and an antidote to the bigger gym-monkeys and water-carriers, even though he does the donkey work as well as anybody.

The Donegal players that played any hint of a hall- forward line were Bradley, Mcloone and maybe McBrearty. The rest dropped off and Murphy and McFadden isolated inside one behind another in a 'spike' formation. Brilliant stuff.

southsidejohnny

Watched the All Star ceremonies last night, actually gave up on them in 1997 when Kildare got 3 for reaching and losing a Leinster semi final. The presentation was more like a funeral as the players walked past a line of men dressed in black with sombre faces shaking their hands along the lines of "sorry for your troubles" only they were probably saying "well done".

Any system that has tokenism in it is a joke hence giving the Dublin player one. Also giving Dillon from Mayo one when he was hardly spotted in the final as usual and omitting McLoughlin was an absolute joke. My question is this...where was the Kerry man?

From the Bunker

A cringefest of the highest order. To say that Donegal have 8 of the best players for 2012 is an massive overstatement. McLoughlin not getting one. Lacey instead of McFadden for player of the year? Marty Morrisseys continual use of the word 'Legend'. The 'Are you making a comeback?', Does this make up for not winning an AI?, What is your plan going forward to next year? questions that just made you cringe. Why don't the players pick the players who will receive All Stars?