Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

John is giving evidence tomorrow. God help him. It will not be easy.

moysider

This trial is little different than what happens here or in Britain. Like here the Mauritian legal system is basically British. It s not like we do things better.

This thread is titled Michaela McAreavy Trial - Will Justice be Done? Getting a conviction is not necessarily justice. A murder trial is about the accused - however callous that may sound to those close to the person murdered. The proscecutution have to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt, and if they don t ..........

trileacman

I said I wouldn't remark on this issue again but I would just like to point one thing out. We are receiving second-hand information here and so claiming the police work is inherently flawed or that the accused are using all possible excuses to avoid a guilty verdict is very much being based upon some 2 1/2 minute news clip or a newspaper report from someone with only a passing knowledge of the Mauritian justice system.

You would hope that the jury who are drawn from Mauritian society would be better placed than probably all of us to determine the likelihood of police brutality or incompetent forensics. Likewise they are better positioned to pass judgement on the character and reliability of the witnesses and the defendants.

To go around drawing comparisons to the Guildford four or calling someone a twat because they disagree with you is arrogant in the extreme, considering you have probably never been to Mauritius in your life and, up until two weeks ago, you hadn't a clue about the Mauritian justice system or the background/integrity of some of the witnesses.

Watching a 4 minute clip on the news or the headline piece in a newspaper doesn't make you an expert, especially considering your opinion is based on the reporting of an absolute stranger. What guarantee have you that his reporting is accurate? Remember the truth can be twisted 10 f**king ways to suit certain agendas.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: trileacman on June 06, 2012, 01:05:17 AM
I said I wouldn't remark on this issue again but I would just like to point one thing out. We are receiving second-hand information here and so claiming the police work is inherently flawed or that the accused are using all possible excuses to avoid a guilty verdict is very much being based upon some 2 1/2 minute news clip or a newspaper report from someone with only a passing knowledge of the Mauritian justice system.

You would hope that the jury who are drawn from Mauritian society would be better placed than probably all of us to determine the likelihood of police brutality or incompetent forensics. Likewise they are better positioned to pass judgement on the character and reliability of the witnesses and the defendants.

To go around drawing comparisons to the Guildford four or calling someone a t**t because they disagree with you is arrogant in the extreme, considering you have probably never been to Mauritius in your life and, up until two weeks ago, you hadn't a clue about the Mauritian justice system or the background/integrity of some of the witnesses.

Watching a 4 minute clip on the news or the headline piece in a newspaper doesn't make you an expert, especially considering your opinion is based on the reporting of an absolute stranger. What guarantee have you that his reporting is accurate? Remember the truth can be twisted 10 f**king ways to suit certain agendas.

Cant believe people still believe everything that they read.

armaghniac

Hard oul day for John McAreavy. From accounts though, it is clear that the combative lawyer is struggling for traction, since he seems to be trying to make something of John describing himself as a tourist, a footballer and an accountant, when you can be all of these things!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Interesting the different perspectives here. From the accounts I have read and heard and nothing else I believe the police have the right men, but I also believe that the accuser who has immunity was also more involved than is being indicated by the prosecution. In my opinion of course.

Captain Obvious

A widower who found his new bride strangled on their honeymoon in Mauritius was asked by police why he was crying and then told "you're young, you'll get another wife", a court heard.

:o

southdown

thejuice

That's horrendous. I know little of Mauritian society but I wonder are women still 2nd class citizens or "property" over there.

I wish all the strength and perseverance for John throughout this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

haranguerer

To play devils advocate, at that stage I assume he was the prime suspect, something like the above could well be said to guage reaction

brokencrossbar1

ziggy90

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 14, 2012, 12:57:30 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 14, 2012, 12:47:11 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on June 13, 2012, 11:10:59 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/mauritius/9330218/Mauritius-honeymoon-murder-lawyers-seek-to-detain-husband.html

Page seems to have been pulled!

Maybe because there has been a statement from the McAreavey family stating that the couple that the lawyers try to identify as John and Micheala are not actually them.

Jesus, Wtf is going on out there? Where the family are getting the strength to deal with this I can't imagine.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 14, 2012, 01:13:44 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 14, 2012, 12:57:30 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 14, 2012, 12:47:11 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on June 13, 2012, 11:10:59 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/mauritius/9330218/Mauritius-honeymoon-murder-lawyers-seek-to-detain-husband.html

Page seems to have been pulled!

Maybe because there has been a statement from the McAreavey family stating that the couple that the lawyers try to identify as John and Micheala are not actually them.

Jesus, Wtf is going on out there? Where the family are getting the strength to deal with this I can't imagine.

A very dirty trial and the defence have been trying to "Plan B" John McAreavey for early on I think.

AZOffaly

Yep, it's obvious from the tidbits we are getting that the main line of defence is to plant a seed in the jury's collective mind that it may have been a domestic argument or situation that got out of hand.

Very, very hard to listen to, or read about, even as an unconnected observer, but I cannot imagine how his family is holding themselves back from attacking the lawyers. Having said that, I suppose that's what 'justice' is all about, giving them the opportunity to present an alternative account of the murder.

I think it is telling though, that instead of alibis, dna, CCTV or whatever of the accused themselves, the approach is to cast slights on the marraige or on John himself.