Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Jim, absolutely.. to put everyone through such a pathetic charade is disgusting. Imagine how John McAreavy felt as that unfolded, and to hear that today as well.

If the lads are innocent, I'm glad they were acquitted, but I think the law and the justice system over there should be ashamed.

sammymaguire

that whole court case has been nothing but a media circus and is a shocking thing for the two families to have to have been put through, you could see where this was going weeks ago... sad day
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

southdown

I personally feel they were guilty (just my own view, especially after one of the accused told his mother to forget about him and the fact that they were seen coming from the room around the time) but with so many factors to consider as outlined by Jim, it would be hard for the jury to say they are guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. 

Must have been very tough on the family to hear cheers and carrying the legal team out of the court shoulder high.

A sad affair all round.

Agent Orange

Very sad indeed, the Police didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing, the hotel was more interested in protecting its business rather than helping with the enquiry and you got the feeling that the Mauritian political system was more worried about its tourism industry than justice.
Thoughts and prayers are with the McAreavey and Harte families at this difficult time.

armaghniac

The Mauritian tourist industry cannot benefit if people can be murdered and nobody is held to account.

I didn't follow this closely, but the fact that the purse was not tested seems a shocking lapse, even for a police force unaccustomed to dealing with murder. The withdrawal of confession and allegations of police brutality are par for the course in such things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2012, 04:34:17 PM
Jim, absolutely.. to put everyone through such a pathetic charade is disgusting. Imagine how John McAreavy felt as that unfolded, and to hear that today as well.

If the lads are innocent, I'm glad they were acquitted, but I think the law and the justice system over there should be ashamed.

I remember talking to a Mauritian woman working in catering in our workplace at the time when the two guys were first arrested and there were allegations made by their lawyers about their being beaten up in custody. Her husband had been a policeman in Mauritius and she was quite blasé about the allegations; beating up suspects was just what you did to get a confession.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

T Fearon

From laughing in court to police cockups that make the RUC/PSNI look competent right through to a celebrity barrister for the defence who seems to have everyone eating out of his hand.No way was justice ever going to be done, nor its pursuit taken seriously even. Surely all Irish travel agents must now take Mauritius off their itineraries and if the shithole has an Ambassador in Dublin he should be sent packing forthwith.

imtommygunn

I would fully agree with this. In my view Irish people ,at least, should boycott this place.

They have ruined lives and after that turn it into a media circus, laugh at it and now what happens- they get off. Disgusting and sickening.

At the very least out of bad things lessons must be learnt and examples must be set to make sure it never happens again. Nothing will ever bring her back but this would at least give some closure- that appears like it will never happen and the same scenario could repeat itself again.

Bord na Mona man

It's hard to believe that the authorities couldn't deliver whoever the culprits were to justice when you consider there was the  electronic record of the staff members entering the room.
That alone should have really narrowed it down.

It's awful for the families to be subjected to the charade of a trial and have nothing to show for it.

stew

They had electronic evidence, they had a tout who turned on his homies to save his own skin and you had an eye witness identify them and told the court what they saw.

These cnuts got away with murder, pure and simple and i hope they rot in hell.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Saffrongael

Quote from: stew on July 12, 2012, 09:12:16 PM
They had electronic evidence, they had a tout who turned on his homies to save his own skin and you had an eye witness identify them and told the court what they saw.

How will you know if they do?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

seafoid

Desperate news. I feel so sorry for the McAreavey and Harte families. They must be in bits.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stew on July 12, 2012, 09:12:16 PM

The jury thought otherwise. Don't think it's a place anyone from Ireland should be rushing to visit.

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

highorlow

Disgraceful. RTE had a programme about it tonight. The mauritian cops make our guards look like the CIA.

Yer man, the one in the white shirt interviewed on the news is the guilty one. He had that look of guilt about him and couldn't look the interviewer in the eye.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go