Armagh Vs Down

Started by Uladh, March 20, 2007, 11:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

McKeever is nothing short of a liability at this point, he is forever involved in skullduggery and he will cost us games the year because of his temper which is a pity because he is a very talented player but if I  was a selector i would not touch him until he learns to stop banjoing people.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

downredblack

Really thought we deserved more than we got yesterday , but Armagh won too many of the break ball in the middle in the second half and of course McDonnell had a blinder . Murtagh was decked and then I think it was O'Rourke tried to pull him up , Murtagh got up and started swinging and then the next opportunity he got he floored someone and was very lucky to stay on although a few boys on each side could of walked at different times . Thought the niggle that crept in galvanized Armagh and had the reverse effect on Down . Benny had a bit of a mare and Burns was great first half but faded second half as did the ball into the forwards. But overall it was an improvement for Down they just have to keep improving .

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Donagh on March 25, 2007, 09:44:08 PM
Was that Rafferty in the bib running around the field in the second half? Wtf is all that about – lucky he didn't get a boot in the hole...

It was John Raf allright...he is the dessignated 'runner' - it is permitted!

I thought Andy Mallon did a fine job on Benny Coulter. It's a pity we didn't have one Andy Mallon in each corner & a couple in the half back line too!

illdecide

What is wrong with McKeever this year, i was talking to him 2 weeks ago and he siad himself that he is playing shite. He dosen't know WTF is going on, i didn't get to the game as we were playing a friendly but it sounds like Armagh haven't improved at all.

BTW 5times your gambling skills are rank.

Did manage to get to the U21 game on sat, they played very well
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Over the Bar

I work with a Down lad and at tea-break this morning he's goin "that's 2 years running we've had the opportunity to relegate them b******s and have let it slip".   When I mentioned the fact that their own situation looked abysmal he just said "aye but at least we know we are s*** and deserve to down anyway!"   ;D

Brick Tamlin

What is wrong with McKeever this year, i was talking to him 2 weeks ago and he siad himself that he is playing shite. He dosen't know WTF is going on

A t**ker of the highest degree

Six Inch Nail

A fairly good game yesterday played at a good pace which was the reason that it spilled over a couple of times.  It was Phillip Loughran who tried to lift Murtagh that time, Murtagh took exception and thumped him in the ribs.  Murtagh was lucky that he wasn't sent off a couple of times.  Philly Loughran, Ciaran McKeever and JP Donnelly were all also lucky that they didn't see red (in McKeevers case he did but it could have been much earlier).

The positives from the game yesterday are that when we went 5 points to 1 down we didn't drop the heads.  Andy Mallons performance was immense as was Stevie McDonnell's.  Down controlled the middle of the field for most of the first half, but McGrane got better as the game went on and Toner from Granemore played very well when he came on.  Marsden has lost a yard of pace but hopefully that will be back come summer time.  However, he is a great man for making space for himself and others and I don't think its a coincidence that Stevie played his best game of the year yesterday.

Paudie McCreesh gives his all but is simply to light for county football, any time he takes the ball into contact he is dispossed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Armagh have had 2 players sent off in the national league.  Where are they from, yes you've guessed it - Cullyhanna.

On the Down side of things, that Burns chap is very good.  He is big and strong with good feet, what club is he from?  I also thought that Dan Gordon had a good game.

Brick, I think illdecide is on about Paddy McKeever, he was awful yesterday again.  He has lost alot of weight, but it isn't happening for him and I was surprised that he lasted the full 70 minutes.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Brick Tamlin

my mistake, apologies for mistaken identity, also fairly accurate account of the match ye have there, Fair play.
Burns From Castlewellan club, very talented player but just needs confidence and a chance of a run in the team. The ballboys are still lookin for a ball after one of his points in the first half, was a monstrous effort.

DownFanatic

Beleive it or not but Aidan Burns was togging out for Castlewellan 3rds about 3 years ago in the East Down Reserve League. He's made some improvement.

Six Inch Nail

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 26, 2007, 01:57:31 PM
Beleive it or not but Aidan Burns was togging out for Castlewellan 3rds about 3 years ago in the East Down Reserve League. He's made some improvement.

Why, what age is he?  He looks fairly young.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

DownFanatic

Id say he is about 24 or so. He used to be a skinny as a rake but he's quarely bulked up.

Louis the Red

Any update on JP Donnellys injury

Armamike

Decent game and a relief to get a badly needed 2 points for Armagh. Bit of a mixed bag for Armagh, some excellent performances and some dreadful ones. Our big problem areas again were half backs and half forwards. Down started well, running in droves at the Armagh defence, but there wasn't a tackle being put in.  The game changed when Armagh started to close the spaces.  Martin O'Rourke very nearly single handledly lost us the game with his aimless solo running which slowed any momentum way down and meant that an on fire McDonnell wasn't getting the amount of ball he deserved.  He got 1-6 i think living off scraps and poor ball. Scary to think what he would have scored if the ball had gone in much sooner and of a much better quality. Paddy McKeever was missing in action again.  I think only the no. of injury induced subs meant he stayed on the pitch.  Phily Loughran was ineffective. I know he's just back from injury but this has been the story with him for a long time.  In contrast Lavery and Toner were excellent around the middle.  These young lads are 2 very good prospects. It was great to see young Toner gather the ball on his own goal line and bomb up the pitch, setting up the move for a McDonnell point.

Ciaran McKeever's a fool and a liability i'm sorry to say. His stupidity is something that will keep costing the team, and unfortunately he doesn't seem to be learning. As someone else has said here before about him, he doesn't understand the difference between being hard/dirty.

I think come championship the half back line will get sorted out but the half forwards is going to be the big problem yet again. We don't have a CHF and we can't afford to carry the likes of Paddy McKeever.  Peadar Toal will be in with a shout of a place.

What is with the injuries this year? Unbelievable amount of them each game and the likes of Swift, young O'Rourke, Donnelly, Toal etc never seem to be able to get a good run out without limping off?

Overall, an improvement on the Derry game, but then again Derry were a much better team than Down were yesterday.  Will need another significant improvement in order to beat Laois in Laois. If the U21 game isn't moved then it's hard to see that happening.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Donagh

Quote from: Armamike on March 26, 2007, 04:08:20 PM

I think come championship the half back line will get sorted out but the half forwards is going to be the big problem yet again. We don't have a CHF and we can't afford to carry the likes of Paddy McKeever. 

Time to try Arron Kernan at HF?

pintsofguinness

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Armagh have had 2 players sent off in the national league.  Where are they from, yes you've guessed it - Cullyhanna.
And sent off in the dying minutes of the game for stupid needless nonsense!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?