More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

That's only an opinion-you would need to see it from the other side to be sure of that-I'm not so sure, so innocent until proven guilty.  Didn't warrant such a response. 
Fact remains that Dromid were trying to tr**p Derrytresk into the ground for the match preceeding this, should've had a red card just before the incident.  They were pumped high to dangerous levels which is obvious by the first minute of the footage.  Their lack of control caused this incident, Derrytresk's lack of experience made it worse.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whishtup

ross matt

Quote from: cicfada on January 26, 2012, 10:37:39 PM
Jaysus lads, the Zapruder film never got as much scrutiny as this film did!!

+1  :D Excellent Cicfada!

mick999

Martin Breheny's take on it :

"THEY won't admit it publicly, but Kerry and Tyrone don't like each other very much. Now, Dromid Pearses insist that their reaction to last Sunday's bust-up in Portlaoise has nothing to do with inter-county rivalry and that they would have responded in precisely the same way if a club from any county other than Tyrone were involved.

However, the GAA world will still wonder if there was a sub-text to a sparky affair which ended in a major controversy
"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tyrone-v-kerry-row-waiting-to-happen-3000348.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: mick999 on January 27, 2012, 09:01:22 AM
Martin Breheny's take on it :

"THEY won't admit it publicly, but Kerry and Tyrone don't like each other very much. Now, Dromid Pearses insist that their reaction to last Sunday's bust-up in Portlaoise has nothing to do with inter-county rivalry and that they would have responded in precisely the same way if a club from any county other than Tyrone were involved.

However, the GAA world will still wonder if there was a sub-text to a sparky affair which ended in a major controversy
"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tyrone-v-kerry-row-waiting-to-happen-3000348.html

Breheny. Pah.

tbrick18

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 11:58:28 PM
Why does the man with the clipboard swing his left leg forward?
It's this action that the Dromid player reacts to.
He seemed to be aiming towards the ball, possibly to kick it away but it looks to me like he probably made contact with the Dromid player as he already has the ball in his hands.
Watch the slow motion version.
I know I'm repeating myself but if that lad with the clipboard isn't where he is, and doesn't try to interfere with the Dromid #4 getting the ball back, then there's no row.

What a load of balls.
There's no way you can know that. You could equally as well argue of the Dromid player didn't push the DT player over the sideline there'd have been no row.
The cause of the row is irrelevant anyway, as the main issue is the subs/supporters jumping the fence. If that hadn't happened it was a fairly minor issue which would have been dealt with at the time and there'd be no discussion.
Both teams had players in the wrong by the looks of it, DT subs deserve long suspensions.
I haven't seen any footage of the after match row, so can't comment on it, but there have been some mutually conflicting versions of it too.
As anyone on this board will know, I'm no fan of Tyrone and by association Tyrone clubs, but Dromid are coming across as very sore losers in this.

Lone Shark

Everything Breheny says is always motivated by his desire for more county games, more league formats, and always driven by his will to spend his whole life watching games between the main counties. It's no surprise that when it comes to a significant club match like this, he has to relate it back to the county game to make sense of it.

How a man could get into the position he has while still maintaining a fundamental misunderstanding of what the GAA is all about is a mystery to me. 

jeepers

Quote from: Lone Shark on January 27, 2012, 09:20:15 AM

How a man could get into the position he has while still maintaining a fundamental misunderstanding of what the GAA is all about is a mystery to me.

There are far more like him to be found at higher levels that i often wonder about too

orangeman

Hold on a minute lads, Crokes didn't call for segregation of supporters - you got it all wrong !!  ;) :D

Former Armagh manager Joe Kernan says that the GAA may as well "shut up shop" if they introduce segregation at matches.

Crossmaglen Rangers of Armagh and Dr Crokes of Kerry meet in the All-Ireland club senior football semi-final on 18 February in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise - the same venue that hosted the controversial junior football semi-final between Dromid Pearses and Derrytresk last weekend.

Kernan, who led Crossmaglen to three All-Ireland club titles, says that any moves towards segregation would have a hugely negative impact on Gaelic games.

"The day segregation comes into the GAA is the day you shut the gates. Crowds being able to mingle is what the Association is built on.

"People from England come to watch our games and they admire supporters being able to sit with one another," Kernan said in The Irish Examiner.

"Unfortunately, there have been incidents of late - and I'm sure there have been incidents in Kerry as well as everywhere else - that are regrettable.

"It's certainly not the way we have been brought up. But if we go down the road of segregation the GAA might as well shut up shop," added Kernan.

On Thursday, Dr Crokes clarified that their request for blocks of tickets for the game was to facilitate juvenile members and their families, and not a call for fans to be separated.

Keane

Didn't Crokes clarify their original statement the same day that it appeared in the media?

Seems very quick on the part of the PR folks to decide what they thought was ok to say a few hours earlier was actually bad enough to warrant a retraction.

orangeman

Regarding the forthcoming All Ireland Club Semi Final Dr. Crokes Club wish to clarify misinformation  that appeared in the media this morning 26/01/12 regarding that we have requested "segregation of supporters" at the forthcoming All Ireland Club Semi Final against Crossmaglen Rangers.

What the club has requested is an allotment of tickets in a particular section of the stand where juvenile members and their families can sit together, as many families had requested this after our Munster Final win.

We've brought juvenile members to all our games this year and they have been together for the games. However we believe that there will be a large attendance at the game in Portlaoise and hence our reason for looking for an area where these can be accommodated together. All other interpretation of the clubs requests are a misinterpretation of the facts and the Club is in no way calling for segregation of supporters.

We have also requested that there be adequate stewarding on the day, in particular on the area in front of where the subs are seated to avoid any potential repeat of last Sunday.

Keane

Yeah it's the timing I was asking about.

People are going to read the situation the way the want to as we know, but it looks to me almost as though the timeline of events was:

1. Crokes make clumsy noises about getting a block of seats for some of the fans in the same statement that they ask - essentially - for the Cross subs area in the stands to be strongly policed
2. Statement reported in the media as Crokes wanting their fans kept together and the stands to be heavily policed - i.e. segregation
3. Crokes say "Oh shit, this looks bad" and rush out a second press release trying to diffuse the situation

crossfire

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 11:58:28 PM
Why does the man with the clipboard swing his left leg forward?
It's this action that the Dromid player reacts to.
He seemed to be aiming towards the ball, possibly to kick it away but it looks to me like he probably made contact with the Dromid player as he already has the ball in his hands.
Watch the slow motion version.
I know I'm repeating myself but if that lad with the clipboard isn't where he is, and doesn't try to interfere with the Dromid #4 getting the ball back, then there's no row.

Yawn.

brokencrossbar1

Its getting better by the day!!!! I hope we give them their moneys worth!!!
QuoteDromid supporter wants his money back
27 January 2012
A Dromid Pearses supporter who attended last Sunday's controversial AIB All-Ireland club JFC semi-final against Derrytresk in Portlaoise is seeking a refund from the GAA.

Mickey Dennehy, who witnessed the appalling scenes in the company of his five children, is encouraging other supporters to do the same.

"I phoned Croke Park for a refund and I was told to put it in writing," he explained to Kerry's Eye.

"I intend to get a refund - and others should do too. The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth. It portrays Derrytresk in a bad way and has tarnished the whole area.

"It is a sad day for football. I will think twice about bringing children to any game. This is our national game and this should not have been allowed. Derrytresk are in the final, but they should not be."

Dennehy, who is an underage coach with Pearses, added: "I have been following GAA since I was a young boy and I am very disappointed that the GAA would allow this go on. I would be afraid for the children, it could have spilled into the stand. What is it saying to children - that the sneaky stuff can win?"