More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: clarshack on January 24, 2012, 10:16:27 AM
dont forget that dromids neighbours (st mary's cahirchiveen) went all the way last year to all-ireland junior glory.
dromid thought they had the god given right to do the same but derrytresk sent them home with their tails between their legs.
and now because dromid cant take their beating they are doing everything they can to hurt derrytresk big time.

This attitude is going to get us nowhere. Its not about winning or losing at these times. Its about punishing wrong doing. Gracious winners or losers a thing of the past?

Croí na hÉireann

Like Lone Shark I'd be interested in seeing any other footage of the start of the incident. From the footage that's there a few thoughts:

The Derrytresk subs are a disgrace, I count at least 9 who jump the barrier, they should all be identified and barred from the final (If Derrytresk are allowed play it). If they can't hold their composure in O'Moore Park they certainly have no business sitting in the subs area in Croke Park. Also, it seems to be mostly these pumped up subs who do all the blindside hitting and kicking on the ground.

There are too many "bibs" on the sideline. HQ wanted to ban managers from the sideline a couple of years ago, that's a step too far IMO but all the bibs need to be benched.

That fella in the green hoodie under the jacket is a fan in my eyes.

The Derrytresk no 8 is some tool following Declan O'Sullivan around, a real gear grinder of mine.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2012, 10:28:09 AM
He throws a belt at 18, from behind, then goes for him again.

He does not hardstation. Come on now.

Runs in and pushes mentor 1

turns to mentor 2

Swings away from mentor 2

Joins group around dromid number 4

Drags number 18 out of group

At no stage does he swing a punch in the early going.

tbrick18

My opinion, regardless of how one team felt about how the other was playing the game, there is no excuse for a sub/supporter entering the field of play.
There is also no excuse for a player on the field going for a member of the management team of the opposing side.
Each and every player, from both teams, who threw a punch/kick should be suspended. This will require the co-operation of both clubs in identifying all players/management/supporters involved.
Refusal of the clubs to co-operate IMO should incur a club level punishment.
From looking at that clip, looks like Dromid started the fracas - Derrytresk all piled in - and there were more than one Dromid players running into the mellee that ensued. There are no innocent parties as far as I can tell.
The fact that during the course of the game that Dromid had 2 reds and so many yellows though perhaps gives an indication of the approach they were taking to the game and "could" explain why the derrytresk players were so vociferous in their response. That doesnt excuse their response though.
Like I said, all players/supporter/management involved need to be identified and suspended. The result should stand as the referee permitted the game to continue. To change the result would be to say the referee got it wrong, something that never happens in GAA-land.
Take all the tyrone-kerry-north-south bias out of it as that door swings both ways. This incident should be treated on its own merits.

AQMP

Anyone care to comment on the actions of the Dromid nos 10 and 4?  That's right at the beginning of the clip before the Derrytresk sideline weighs in?  Disgrace, book thrown at them, no place in the GAA, or carried away in the heat of the moment?

Moortown Spuds

A non-story. Sure the Derrytresk lads would have got a bigger skelping than that for forgetting they had homework to do.

Derrytresk won and have the support of all of Tyrone.

Rossfan

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on January 24, 2012, 10:48:55 AM
A non-story. 

And therein lies the problem.  :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Whishtup

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 24, 2012, 10:37:52 AM
Like Lone Shark I'd be interested in seeing any other footage of the start of the incident. From the footage that's there a few thoughts:

The Derrytresk subs are a disgrace, I count at least 9 who jump the barrier, they should all be identified and barred from the final (If Derrytresk are allowed play it). If they can't hold their composure in O'Moore Park they certainly have no business sitting in the subs area in Croke Park. Also, it seems to be mostly these pumped up subs who do all the blindside hitting and kicking on the ground.

There are too many "bibs" on the sideline. HQ wanted to ban managers from the sideline a couple of years ago, that's a step too far IMO but all the bibs need to be benched.

That fella in the green hoodie under the jacket is a fan in my eyes.

The Derrytresk no 8 is some tool following Declan O'Sullivan around, a real gear grinder of mine.

Fella with hoodie is wearing football boots.  You seem to totally ignore the fact that the Dromid player swingin at the mentor  has started this.  The much bandied 'disgrace' word should be applied to all wrongdoers here if you are going to use it. 

Don't forget that according to two different radio reports, O'Sullivan was lucky to be on the field at this stage.  Jaysus-i'd be following him around...

AZOffaly

That's not a punch there's noone in the area. the mentor is holding his jersey and he swings his arm out. I'm now going to try and still capture that :D

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: fearglasmor on January 24, 2012, 10:24:28 AM
The world in which the GAA operates has changed dramatically since the 1980's While in the past the GAA authorities could pay lip service to these incidents but actually do nothing substantial about them, they can no longer afford to do this. Soccer has established itself in every rural community in the country and rugby is fast following suit. Munster and Leinster didnt exist in the rugby world in the way they do now. International sports media are beaming images of professional sports into the homes of kids and their parents and domestic commercial media are chomping at the bit to generate as much column inches and air time as they can from any falls that the GAA self inflict.

It hasnt fallen to the extent the catholic church has, obviously, but similarly, The GAA is in a much less deferrential environment.

If something substantial is done in relation to this incident, unfortunately it will not be for the right reasons, but the end result will be the same.
Because teh GAA can not afford to do nothing, again.

An oft-quoted truism (though more usually halfwitticism) is that the 3 pillars of Irish society were the Catholic Church, Fianna Fail and the GAA. I'm not sure what pillar implies, but lets run with it,

The first 2 seriously damaged their standing due to an unacceptably high tolerance for wrong-doing and wrong-doers within their ranks.

You can learn from your own mistakes, but its always better to learn from the mistakes of others.

Whishtup

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2012, 10:50:56 AM
A non-story. 

On a lighter note, spoke to a Roscommon man yesterday, whose brothers both played county football and explained what had happened.
  'Well, fair play to them', he said.
'Aye, but it's a pity that the subs did that as they might throw them out'
'Sure, won't it have been worth it? Them Kerry hoors have been gettin away with that since the fifties!'

AZOffaly

I am right :D He's swinging around but he is not 'punching' anybody.  These 3 stills are as good as I'm going to get it.  His fist is clenched, but no way is he throwing a punch, there's no follow through, or target even, as you can see from where his hand ends up in frame 3.

Moortown Spuds

A non-story. 

Faux pas rage. Derrytresk are a small rural club that plays in a raised up piece of a bog. The roads have to be replaced every 3/4 years cos they keep slipping into the ground. They have propped up the Tyrone ACL for years. They have worked hard and kept plugging away when it would have been easier to accept defeat and non-entity. They were psyched, their subs misbehaved but they as a club are an admirable bunch and no amount of Dick Clerkins or Southern Journalists are going to make me think any f*cking differently.

Kerry men dont like it when they are stood up to. They would cut you down and do the dirty acts all day long and hide behind the myth that they are whiter than white. We have seen it this last 10 years. They have been involved in some of the most sickening acts ever witnessed in HQ.

AQMP

Quote from: Whishtup on January 24, 2012, 10:58:19 AM
A non-story. 

On a lighter note, spoke to a Roscommon man yesterday, whose brothers both played county football and explained what had happened.
  'Well, fair play to them', he said.
'Aye, but it's a pity that the subs did that as they might throw them out'
'Sure, won't it have been worth it? Them Kerry hoors have been gettin away with that since the fifties!'

1946 All Ireland Semi Final actually when the football purists from Antrim were cynically cut down by coached fouling and off the ball assaults from an inferior Kerry side.  The GAA and Joe Duffy chose to ignore it and we ended up in O'Moore Park on Sunday ;)

ONeill

Worried about this NFL fixture in Croke. Tyrone, Kerry and Dublin fans in the cauldron. Hopefully the civil Lilywhites will keep tabs on us all.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.