More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sheamy on February 09, 2012, 10:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2012, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 09, 2012, 10:18:31 PM
Can you get your arm into that position with your shoulders like that? How so?

Nonsense. Try swinging your arm with full force and speed with your feet fixed without it ending up in a position like that: impossible.

try doing it with your left arm tucked across your body and not to the left of you to balance you...
You'll cowp...  :D :D :D

More nonsense: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction! How is your right arm travelling swiftly to the left balanced by your other arm being on the left?  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 10:46:35 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2012, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 09, 2012, 10:18:31 PM
Can you get your arm into that position with your shoulders like that? How so?

Nonsense. Try swinging your arm with full force and speed with your feet fixed without it ending up in a position like that: impossible.

Given the physical (and mental) condition of most posters here that is a very irresponsible post.

Present company excepted!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lenny

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 09, 2012, 10:43:04 PM
This the photo published in the Irish Times today, please note the caption.  I'm sure Eddie O'Neill is known to some posters.

A previously unpublished photograph of the All-Ireland junior club football semi-final in Portlaoise shows Declan O'Sullivan (number 11) of Dromid Pearses in an altercation with a Derrytresk player at the end of the game. The photograph was taken by Eddie O'Neill, a Derrytresk club member who regularly takes pictures of club games.

The remainder of the article..............

DOUGLAS DALBY

ALL-IRELAND CLUB JFC: A SHOCKED sense of injustice has turned to seething anger in the Tyrone townland of Derrytresk: instead of looking forward to easily the biggest day in its 109-year history at Croke Park on Sunday, this junior club is reeling from seven suspensions, a €2,500 fine and a five-year ban from representing their county or province.

The 'Good Luck' signs are out and the blue and white Derrytresk colours bedeck the country roads around the clubhouse built by voluntary labour that serves as the hub of this tiny community on the shores of Lough Neagh. There, the chairman Barney Campbell has the air of a man who is still trying to figure out how a fairytale year could have turned so sour.

"We just didn't see the onslaught coming: we put our hands up regarding what happened with our subs and said we would take the punishment but this punishment doesn't fit the crime. I believe we have been scapegoated because we're a wee club from Tyrone who don't have the resources to fight back."

The now infamous mass brawl in Portlaoise during their victory over Kerry side Dromid Pearses lasted barely a minute but has become a YouTube curiosity: 200,000 hits and counting. The video shows Derrytresk substitutes piling onto the park to join the action on the field. The media had a field day.

A female supporter from Kerry told Liveline listeners on Monday how a child had asked her "why are they hurting my daddy" as they watched him being kicked on the ground by several opponents.

The Dromid manager claimed three of his side had their testicles pulled by Derrytresk players before the throw-in; that another had suffered a broken cheekbone and stud marks on his back after he was stamped on and another was suffering from concussion. A woman struck star player Declan O'Sullivan with her handbag.

As for the fracas itself, Derrytresk officials claim their youngest player, 17-year-old Caolan Corr, was punched to the ground in front of the subs, who were sitting in the crowd because there was no proper seating for them in the stadium. They reacted on the spur of the moment to protect a young colleague; the club and its supporters admit this was wrong but insist the punishment is unjust. Further in their defence, they can point to an excellent disciplinary record (one red card and only a few yellows all season) and the fact that they are known as a small, mobile team rather than a physical one.

"We only have two boys over six foot and it would take a few of our other lads put together just to make a single man, they're so scrawny," Campbell said. "We are young, inexperienced and certainly wouldn't have the cynicism or the mentality to plan what some people have been accusing us of. We have been demonised."

Instead of countering the accusations, the club decided to keep its head down and deal with official GAA channels. It expected to be punished but what it didn't realise was that in the court of public opinion, it had already been hung, drawn and quartered. Like many clubs, the role of the PRO is to call in match results, not to defend the seemingly indefensible on national media.

"Very few people up here take much notice of the southern papers or radio – I had hardly heard of Liveline before this all happened. We didn't realise the effect it was having," Campbell said. "We thought the GAA would deal with us fairly: we expected to be punished but we didn't expect a witch hunt."

The Fir an Chnoic (the Men from the Hill) club is drawn from the smallest catchment area in Co Tyrone. The townland three miles from Coalisland barely measures a square mile and comprises fewer than 60 houses. Since its formation in 1903, it has filled the role of whipping boy for the many bigger and far more powerful clubs throughout the county.

"Two years ago a group of five went to watch a match," recalls Ciarán O'Neill, an avid supporter and former player. "Three of them ended up togging out and the two girls ran the line. That's where we were at and that's what we were used to until this year. Now we should be in dreamland but the dream feels like a bit of a nightmare right now."

Over the years the club nearly folded more than once. In the 1950s, emigration took a heavy toll and during the Troubles this overwhelmingly republican area lost players to prison and violence. A large banner on the former RUC station in nearby Coalisland exhorts everyone to attend a commemoration on Sunday week for four IRA men who were shot by the SAS at the church in Clonoe, the parish of which Derrytresk is part.

Before this year, only two players on the panel had even played on the county park in Omagh and nobody has ever come within an ass's roar of the county team. Last season Derrytresk finished 14 out of 18 in the county league. In its long history, it has won few honours – it was the county whipping boy, defeat was taken as given.

This season, though, everything has changed. This team – six sets of brothers among it – won a county final, then a provincial, which brought it 60 minutes away from an All-Ireland final. Four points to three down at half-time against an experienced, seasoned Kerry outfit, this young team rallied to win the game convincingly by 1-10 to 0-7.

Instead of basking in a once in several lifetimes' experience, club officials and players have been making the 170km round trip to Dublin to attend disciplinary and appeals hearings into the early hours of the morning. It now looks like they will do so again one more time before the final.

Packie O'Neill, whose two sons play in the team and who has taken time from his construction job in London to attend the disciplinary appeals, has kept a newspaper scrapbook since the beginning of the campaign. Glowing headlines display a tale of a plucky little team from nowhere taking on giants and felling them. The scrapbook stops after the All-Ireland semi-final. Now newspapers don't come into the house and the radio and television are turned off.

"I am heartbroken for the boys who won't get to run out on Croke Park – they are like sons to me and to see young boys crying isn't right," he said. "They are treating us like dirt – we thought we were part of a family but now we feel we're just not wanted."

In the run-up to the final against Galway's Clonbur, club officials have been trying to shield the team but the furore has been impossible to ignore. "After the game it never entered our heads what would happen to us," said midfielder Ronan O'Neill. "I shook the hands of two elderly Kerrymen on the way out and they congratulated me on the win. We had a great night in the clubhouse: it was only the next day when I read the papers I realised it was a big deal.

"The bans have been devastating – we've been training with these lads all year and we're not just team-mates, we're best friends. You want to be running on to Croke Park with your best mates – that's what you dream about. It has been a distraction but it has made us even more hungry."

The journo obviously didnt speak to other clubs in tyrone. my sources tell me derrytresk are well known for having quite a few trash talking defenders and they are also very quick on the one in all in sort of philosophy. They play the game on the edge and try to intimidate.

AZOffaly

This

Quote"I am heartbroken for the boys who won't get to run out on Croke Park – they are like sons to me and to see young boys crying isn't right," he said. "They are treating us like dirt – we thought we were part of a family but now we feel we're just not wanted."

is irrelevant.

I agree it's a pity for the lads themselves, but if they were one of the subs that came in, or punched a lad, then they can't really complain for getting banned.

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2012, 10:45:58 PM
AZ - I think it was a sense of frustration. The DT FB has been suspended for slapping DO'S's marbles. I'm only guessing here but I think DT tried to argue during the hearing about having consistency. Maybe that led to this leak. You understand the nature of this board and its readership. Let's just say DT could come out with a lot more but there's an AIF to prepare for. They don't wish ill-will on DO'S - just fair play or no play atall.

I still don't really understand what they hope to gain by it. I understand the frustration at their own suspensions, but of #3 slapped the marbles, then he probably deserves the ban. What bans are they frustrated at? I could understand frustration at the 5 year ban alright, but some of the other suspensions were arguably light for the offence. Obviously missing an All Ireland is a bollix, but I can't understand how publishing this photo at this juncture does anything for their cause.

If they want D'OS punished for this , fair enough, but why now? At the time I remember a DT person saying fair play to D'OS for at least telling a steward to cop on about pressing charges against handbag woman. For him to be highlighted now in this way seems harsh to me, especially when I can't see the point of it from DT's point of view. I don't think anyone has ever said that Dromid weren't involved in the row and throwing their own belts too.

And as for the other material that has not seen the light of day, I think there's plenty on both sides. Let's hope it doesn;t come up now. DT have an All Ireland to prepare for, and Dromid have a new season down in Kerry.

I understand a lot of that. But you must understand they don't want D'OS punished for this. It was to show the inequality of punishments initially and then to ban DT for 5 years afterwards exasperated it. Also, anyone can email a photo without the club's permission. I also understand it can seem impetuous to release that photo now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Fair enough. And I understand their frustration at the 5 year ban, even if I can't help but feel they got off (as individuals) lightly enough.

It is a hoor for the club to be missing 7 lads off the panel for an AIF, but I'm not sure which ones they feel shouldn't have been suspended. In fact #11 was a lucky boy himself. (Which probably means Dromid #5 will get off on the same technicality)

Anyway, fair enough, I see where they might be coming from. Sure we won't fall out over it anyway.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2012, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2012, 10:45:58 PM
AZ - I think it was a sense of frustration. The DT FB has been suspended for slapping DO'S's marbles. I'm only guessing here but I think DT tried to argue during the hearing about having consistency. Maybe that led to this leak. You understand the nature of this board and its readership. Let's just say DT could come out with a lot more but there's an AIF to prepare for. They don't wish ill-will on DO'S - just fair play or no play atall.

I still don't really understand what they hope to gain by it. I understand the frustration at their own suspensions, but of #3 slapped the marbles, then he probably deserves the ban. What bans are they frustrated at? I could understand frustration at the 5 year ban alright, but some of the other suspensions were arguably light for the offence. Obviously missing an All Ireland is a bollix, but I can't understand how publishing this photo at this juncture does anything for their cause.

If they want D'OS punished for this , fair enough, but why now? At the time I remember a DT person saying fair play to D'OS for at least telling a steward to cop on about pressing charges against handbag woman. For him to be highlighted now in this way seems harsh to me, especially when I can't see the point of it from DT's point of view. I don't think anyone has ever said that Dromid weren't involved in the row and throwing their own belts too.

And as for the other material that has not seen the light of day, I think there's plenty on both sides. Let's hope it doesn;t come up now. DT have an All Ireland to prepare for, and Dromid have a new season down in Kerry.

I understand a lot of that. But you must understand they don't want D'OS punished for this. It was to show the inequality of punishments initially and then to ban DT for 5 years afterwards exasperated it. Also, anyone can email a photo without the club's permission. I also understand it can seem impetuous to release that photo now.

Has Eddie published any other photos?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Out of FB, probably not. He didn't publish it btw.

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 11:03:42 PM
Fair enough. And I understand their frustration at the 5 year ban, even if I can't help but feel they got off (as individuals) lightly enough.

It is a hoor for the club to be missing 7 lads off the panel for an AIF, but I'm not sure which ones they feel shouldn't have been suspended. In fact #11 was a lucky boy himself. (Which probably means Dromid #5 will get off on the same technicality)

Anyway, fair enough, I see where they might be coming from. Sure we won't fall out over it anyway.

Ahh...why did you start it again. No.11 got a yellow for an attempted strike. Why is he lucky?

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2012, 11:09:02 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 11:03:42 PM

Ahh...why did you start it again. No.11 got a yellow for an attempted strike. Why is he lucky?

Because he got the yellow from the ref, which meant the suspension they gave him for his 'attempted strike' was presumably thrown out on that technicality. That's why I'm assuming Dromid #5 will get the same treatment. In other words they are actually lucky the ref picked them out at the time of the row and gave them each a yellow.

ONeill

AZOffaly

The pushes you mean? Or during the flurry in the row? And I would argue the #11 struck once, knuckles into the head of Dromid #5 as he fell to the ground, but maybe that was the 'attempted' strike.

I suppose we'll have to see the result of #5;s appeal. He's up0 next week!

ONeill

Jaysus, if you can see knuckle to the head then....anyway, I've Offaly to win this weekend.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2012, 11:20:13 PM
Jaysus, if you can see knuckle to the head then....anyway, I've Offaly to win this weekend.

I see lots of things :D

But I can't see Offaly winning this weekend! (Actually, they might)

BennyHarp

Jaysus AZ! Are you still going on about this?
That was never a square ball!!