Noam Chomsky etc

Started by tyroneman, November 04, 2011, 06:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Have a few books by John Pilger, Richard Dawkins, Fisk, Hitchins etc.

Read some bits and pieces by Chomsky in waterstones and fancy getting some if his work next.

Anyone recommend which of his books is best to start with? Particularly interested in power of the media so maybe "understanding power" or "manufacturing consent"??

Also- all recommendations on any other books to do with media power/ bias would be gratefully received.......

haranguerer

Arent you the enlightened one....

Dougal Maguire

I'd recommend Biggles Takes Charge by Captain W E Johns
Careful now

4father

Hegemony or survival is a good one about recent yankee colonialism

Cannonball

'Understanding Power' is brilliant, would definitely be the top of the list.  'Manufacturing Consent' is also excellent, if you're feeling lazy you can watch the documentary on google vids.  Also recommended 'Failed States', 'Perilous Power', 'What We Say Goes'.
I'd also suggest checking out Howard Zinn and some of his stuff.
Do you believe in God?......I don't understand the question.

ludermor

Im sure TO will have some good suggestions..

Cannonball

Was just thinking that myself, can't wait for this thread to get lively....
Do you believe in God?......I don't understand the question.

Arthur_Friend

Add Norman Finkelstein to your list.

Denn Forever

Quote from: ludermor on November 04, 2011, 11:00:01 AM
Im sure TO will have some good suggestions..

If TO does come on this thread, I hope he does make some suggestions.  We know exactly the direction Chomsky is coming from and the suggestions of other posters would be for authors who would have similar leanings. 

I'd like to know what other authors are out there who would come from the other direction i.e. the conservative Michael Moore, the conservative Noam Chomsky.  Those are the suggestions I would like to see so we could compare and contrast.

Know your enemy.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Declan

QuoteI'd like to know what other authors are out there who would come from the other direction

How about this intellectual heavyweight?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter#Bibliography

Or any thing by William Kristol?

J70

Ann coulter is just a pathetic charicature at this stage, albeit one who knows her audience and what pushes their buttons. If you want a laugh, check out her Godless book, especially the evolution stuff!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2011, 12:43:13 PM
Ann coulter is just a pathetic charicature at this stage, albeit one who knows her audience and what pushes their buttons. If you want a laugh, check out her Godless book, especially the evolution stuff!

You'd still give her one though!

J70

Not really... too much of the tranny look about her for my taste.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2011, 02:44:31 PM
Not really... too much of the tranny look about her for my taste.

Very elongated girl!  Exceptionally long hands and fingers!!!!

dec

If you are looking for something coming from the other direction I would advise you to avoid any recent stuff that gets anywhere near the top of the best seller charts. Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Malkin or any of the other US right wingers just write name calling, button pushing garbage.

One book that I found fairly readable was Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose". It just addresses economic issues, no forign policy or social conservative stuff and even if you disagree with the message it is well written.