Hurling-Shinty

Started by Hardy, October 22, 2011, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I'm watching the hurling-shinty international on TG4 here. It's hugely entertaining. Watching this, it seems to me hurling would be a much better game to watch if handling the ball wasn't allowed. It forces the players to display their stick skills. Great stuff.

Harold Disgracey

Thought it was entertaining as well considering the conditions. Ground hurling tends to get neglected these days. Would love to get my hands on one of those shinty sticks.

thejuice

missed it. love watching it. Is the next game over in Alba next? wonder is it on BBC scotland.

I often wondered that myself hardy about not using the hands. Though the catches Tommy Walsh was making in September were majestic.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 22, 2011, 05:16:46 PM
Thought it was entertaining as well considering the conditions. Ground hurling tends to get neglected these days. Would love to get my hands on one of those shinty sticks.

Yes. The accuracy they give seems akin to that of a golf club. And the extra few inches in length as compared to a hurley gives incredible distance. Or else they have kead weights in the ends of them.

Quote from: thejuice on October 22, 2011, 05:22:58 PM
missed it. love watching it. Is the next game over in Alba next? wonder is it on BBC scotland.

I often wondered that myself hardy about not using the hands. Though the catches Tommy Walsh was making in September were majestic.

The next game is in Inverness next Saturday, 2:00. It's on TG4 - streamed as well, though I don't know if you can get it in Britain - I believe you're over there Juice?

It would be a pity OK to lose the high catch, but I think it would be great to experiment with not allowing the ball to be lifted into the hand or struck from the hand - handle only once and only from a catch in the air.

Hardy

Also today's match is on TG4 player - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player.html

Click on "Sport" in the Archive box on the home page.

Milltown Row2

Played this a few times in tournaments over here, thought we'd win handy enough but were beat in the semi final easily  :(

Hard to get to grips with and the distance they managed to clear the ball was unreal. Getting hit by their sticks was deadly, also we broke about 10 sticks during the games

Hurling is fine as it is lads FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

emmetryan

Would love to get my hands on one of those shinty sticks.

I was extremely fortunate to play a Scottish youth team twice when I was playing Minor with Crokes (roughly 12 years and 6 stone ago) so traded a hurl for a stick. It's quite the cool thing to show people when they visit.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 07:51:26 PM
[The next game is in Inverness next Saturday, 2:00. It's on TG4 - streamed as well, though I don't know if you can get it in Britain - I believe you're over there Juice?

Didnt get to see it as I was doing a spot of driving today.
Does BBC Alba still exist ? I presume they will be showing it?
bit of a difference in the interest and crowds between this and the Intl Rules mind you. Athy  :o an international venue !
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Well you know yourself, not much digging breaks out in the Ireland Vs Scotland games.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 08:18:31 PM
Also today's match is on TG4 player - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player.html

Click on "Sport" in the Archive box on the home page.

feckin hell, I had to put on the heatin and a rain jacket just watching that.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 07:51:26 PM

Yes. The accuracy they give seems akin to that of a golf club. And the extra few inches in length as compared to a hurley gives incredible distance. Or else they have kead weights in the ends of them.

Quote from: thejuice on October 22, 2011, 05:22:58 PM

The next game is in Inverness next Saturday, 2:00. It's on TG4 - streamed as well, though I don't know if you can get it in Britain - I believe you're over there Juice?

It would be a pity OK to lose the high catch, but I think it would be great to experiment with not allowing the ball to be lifted into the hand or struck from the hand - handle only once and only from a catch in the air.

I've played in a few hurling/shinty games at university level and many of the opposition players had lead weights insert into the 'bos' of their sticks.
That gave them extra weight alright but it also made them highly dangerous weapons if a player took a swing and lost his hold on the handle. Unlike a hurley, the handles tapers towards the end.
The backs use sticks with a more elevated face than those used by the forwards.
In golfing terms, you could say that the backs use sand wedges and the forwards use three irons.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 23, 2011, 02:06:26 PM
I've played in a few hurling/shinty games at university level and many of the opposition players had lead weights insert into the 'bos' of their sticks.

???

You sure about that!?

I played in the Scottish Unis league for 5 years and never saw any of that.  You sure someone's not been winding you up?  Camans are heavy because the head is solid wood, and quite a bit larger than a hurl.

emmetryan

For anyone interested. We'll have live audio coverage of the 2nd test on Action81.com this Saturday. Cóilín Duffy has decided to make the trip for the second straight year and will be commentating on the Under 21 and Senior games, broadcast starts at 12 noon Saturday.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on October 22, 2011, 04:14:02 PM
Watching this, it seems to me hurling would be a much better game to watch if handling the ball wasn't allowed.

*shakes head*

Hardy