29 (36.3%)
Stephen Cluxton
7 (8.8%)
Andy Moran
7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM

bombidal

Alan Brogan had a great year... Dublin's best player by a distance and deserves to be nominated. But when you compare what he did to what Darren O'Sullivan did he is a good bit behind imo
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

screenexile

People using terms like, good and well for the Player of the Year performances pretty  much sums it up. Lacey was outstanding in every game I saw him in and stood out like a sore thumb but having to go off injured definitely cost him. It's a toss up really but the poster of 2 brothers winning POTY 2 years running will be too hard to resist methinks!

nrico2006

Quote from: bombidal on October 14, 2011, 03:40:19 PM
Alan Brogan had a great year... Dublin's best player by a distance and deserves to be nominated. But when you compare what he did to what Darren O'Sullivan did he is a good bit behind imo

Both behind Lacey though.  Its a shame that those who are meant to have a clue are actually the ones that don't.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2011, 03:55:08 PM
People using terms like, good and well for the Player of the Year performances pretty  much sums it up. Lacey was outstanding in every game I saw him in and stood out like a sore thumb but having to go off injured definitely cost him. It's a toss up really but the poster of 2 brothers winning POTY 2 years running will be too hard to resist methings!

I agree with most of what you say but he wasn't outstanding against Tyrone.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2011, 03:56:43 PM
People using terms like, good and well for the Player of the Year performances pretty  much sums it up. Lacey was outstanding in every game I saw him in and stood out like a sore thumb but having to go off injured definitely cost him. It's a toss up really but the poster of 2 brothers winning POTY 2 years running will be too hard to resist methings!

Lol I didn't see the Tyrone game!

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2011, 03:56:43 PM

He was outstanding v Tyrone.

The Hill is Blue

My pick would be Stephen Cluxton. He is ice-cool and his composure permeates the whole team. The full-back line can concentrate on their own jobs without worrying about who's minding the house behind them. The half-backs, midfield and half-forwards can expect well directed balls - this has been the launching-pad for many Dublin attacks. And, of course, his accuracy from long-range frees has been a huge differential for the Dubs this year.

Stevo for Player of the Year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

boojangles

Quote from: bombidal on October 13, 2011, 05:14:31 PM
the last 7 mins of the All-Ireland changed Alan Brogan from a 10/1 shot into a 4/9 shot for POTY. This cannot be right. Darren O'Sullivan scored the 2 best goals of the championship and was excellent throughout the whole year. Was even in line for Man of the match in the final until the final 7 mins. Brogan was quiet in the 1/4 final, poor in the semi final & average in the final. Brogan getting this award is on a par with Giggs getting POTY a few years ago. Bit of a joke. Cluxton is the same. Kerry keeper had a better year.

Were you at that game?

Zulu

People using terms like, good and well for the Player of the Year performances pretty  much sums it up. Lacey was outstanding in every game I saw him in and stood out like a sore thumb but having to go off injured definitely cost him. It's a toss up really but the poster of 2 brothers winning POTY 2 years running will be too hard to resist methinks!

I don't think Alan Brogan was merely 'good' or 'well' in most games he played, he was excellent in most of them and was easily as good as Lacey all year (better IMO). He didn't have one bad game and anyone who says he did is either judging him by ridiculous standards or is a questionable judge of footballers. Another point worth noting is that Lacey played as a defender in an ultra defensive team which meant he was less likely to be exposed (not saying he would in any system but it's easier to defend and break to attack when you've got 10 other lads behind you) and O'Sullivan played against a depleted Limerick twice and a young Mayo team so he didn't meet as many quality teams as Brogan. He played against Kildare, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry and played well (there's that word again!) in them all.

You could argue all day about this and a case can be made for other players but anyone who dismisses Brogans claims doesn't know their football IMO.

imtommygunn

Zulu he had a poor game by a) his own standards and b) the standards you would expect for player of the year.

That is my opinion - I thought at one stage he may have got subbed however he improved in the second half. (Incidentally that was when Lacey went off).

Saying someone who believes that has high standards may be correct - but the standard here is for the player of the year. Saying someone who says that doesn't know anything about football is a weak argument. Player of the year is of a very high standard don't forget.

I have nothing against the fella. He's a cracking footballer in my view and has adapted very well to the CHF position. I just would expect the player of the year to meet , exceptional, standards in every game and didn't think he did.

put-it-up-again

I know it's a matter of opinion but I really don't think either of the Dublin players deserve the award.

I mentioned it somewhere after the senior final that Kerry went man for man on the Dublin kickout's and they at the very least broke even.

The hype that surrounds Cluxton really is incredible. Don't get me wrong he is an absolutely fantastic goalkeeper but to be in contention for player of the year? I'm just not convinced. I don't remember him making that many saves either this year...

Brogan was hot and cold in patches but its difficult to pick out a Dublin player because they rely so much on the collective rather than the individual.

O'Sullivan for me was the standout forward of the year. He scored two unbelievable goals and I saw him live in the three games they played in Croke Park and he is a pure entertainer. Everytime he gets the ball you expect something to happen going forward.. His pace in unbelievable.

After him, my vote would have been for Lacey. Unless you seen Donegal play live you can't possibly appreciate the role he played in Donegal's system. You need to have seen it up close. He was an excellent defender and as soon as their mass defence forced the turnover time and time again he was the launchpad of attacks.

BennyCake

Agreed put it up again...

Darran O'Sullivan shades it for me ahead of Lacey.

Zulu

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 14, 2011, 09:06:42 PM
I know it's a matter of opinion but I really don't think either of the Dublin players deserve the award.

I mentioned it somewhere after the senior final that Kerry went man for man on the Dublin kickout's and they at the very least broke even.

The hype that surrounds Cluxton really is incredible. Don't get me wrong he is an absolutely fantastic goalkeeper but to be in contention for player of the year? I'm just not convinced. I don't remember him making that many saves either this year...

Brogan was hot and cold in patches but its difficult to pick out a Dublin player because they rely so much on the collective rather than the individual.

O'Sullivan for me was the standout forward of the year. He scored two unbelievable goals and I saw him live in the three games they played in Croke Park and he is a pure entertainer. Everytime he gets the ball you expect something to happen going forward.. His pace in unbelievable.

After him, my vote would have been for Lacey. Unless you seen Donegal play live you can't possibly
appreciate the role he played in Donegal's system. You need to have seen it up close. He was an excellent defender and as soon as their mass defence forced the turnover time and time again he was the launchpad of attacks.

Surely Donegal was more of a collective effort than Dublin?

I think we all agree it's a matter of opinion and you'd expect a bit of debate most years but it's brogan for me and deservedly so. After that I'd have O'Sullivan and then Lacey, Cluxton wouldn't be in my list tbh.

Gold

Defo Darren O'Sullivan.

Lacey was outstanding too and shame he got injured.

Alan Brogan never once excited me--first time ever came into my head re him possibly being POTY was when his brother ssaid it live on TV

Would rather Cluxton won it than Brogan but think Brogan will win it, undeservedly.

DOS was class--some goal v Cork--it he was a better goalscorer he could've had a few more that day. Unbelieveable goal v Limerick. Made goal in final. Awesome pace lifted me off my seat on many occassions this year. For me he's my player of the year.

Pity thought that he's a scorer of great goals rather than a great goalscorer. With his pace he's going to create goal scoring opportunitiess--if he could just relax and roll the ball into the corners he'd score far more than he does now with his blast it straight at the net and see how it goes approach

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

muppet

Darran O'Sullivan scored 0-1 against Mayo the semi-final. Other than two early goal chances (both missed) he was well marked by Keith Higgins and had little influence.

Brogan did more in his semi-final than either O'Sullivan or Lacy. Debatable who did more in the final, I'd suggest probably O'Sullivan.

I'd give it to Brogan  with O'Sullivan a worthy winner if he gets the nod. Giving it to Lacey would be rewarding everything that is wrong with football, not Lacey's fault I might add, but why should we reward 13 man defenses?
MWWSI 2017