Cardinal Sean Brady: Stop GAA matches on Sunday mornings

Started by whiskeysteve, August 02, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: armaghniac on August 03, 2011, 07:25:54 AM
This is on RTE today. The whole thing reflects poorly on Brady's judgement. Did he write to soccer leagues also?

In fairness, I think he lost the 'credibility of his judgement' argument a long time ago, and fairly heavily.

The catholic church as an institution have a long and continued history of opposition to the GAA in certain areas. Their past behaviour in relation to the GAA in Derry City (for example) is nothing short of disgraceful. They did everything in their power to kill it in the 20's and 30's and since. They didn't and they won't succeed.

However, like with other issues to do with the church, there are many notable exceptions and many priests have given sterling service to our association.

Whiskeysteve, you see what you started now?!  :)

PAULD123

The call to organise events so as not to clash with other events is sound. Look at the hew and cry over the Armagh vs Down match this year which clashed with Slane, Magner's league final and the European cup final. The fact that Brady is still around to be making this call is not sound. The problem is not the request but the man making the request.

The Catholic church has contributed a lot to communities and to many people's lives. The actions of some should not be used to condemn all the other good people who have helped and given so much to so many others. Religion is important to many people, and many GAA people. It is sad that they should be made choose between their faith and their sport, especially when both are meant to encourage strong community feeling.

The fact that Brady is still in a position to be making this request though, is nothing but a disgrace and a continued insult to everything the Catholic faith propounds to stand for. It is sad, insulting and naive of the church to do anything but punish him by at least instant removal of powers. The actions of some should not be used to condemn all the other good people who have helped and given so much to so many others - But that means the actions of "the some" should be thoroughly condemned and that condemnation should be acted upon to preserve, without any sympathy for these anti-Christian individuals, the good and altruistic principles that the Catholic faith should stand for.

Incidentally I am not practising and so I'm not defending my own interests or religious beliefs. But I do think there is much good in the church for many people and it should not be thrown away because of the bad. I just believe that the bad should be thrown away - Brady being one.

tyssam5

Quote from: PAULD123 on August 03, 2011, 08:46:42 AM
The call to organise events so as not to clash with other events is sound. Look at the hew and cry over the Armagh vs Down match this year which clashed with Slane, Magner's league final and the European cup final. The fact that Brady is still around to be making this call is not sound. The problem is not the request but the man making the request.

The Catholic church has contributed a lot to communities and to many people's lives. The actions of some should not be used to condemn all the other good people who have helped and given so much to so many others. Religion is important to many people, and many GAA people. It is sad that they should be made choose between their faith and their sport, especially when both are meant to encourage strong community feeling.

The fact that Brady is still in a position to be making this request though, is nothing but a disgrace and a continued insult to everything the Catholic faith propounds to stand for. It is sad, insulting and naive of the church to do anything but punish him by at least instant removal of powers. The actions of some should not be used to condemn all the other good people who have helped and given so much to so many others - But that means the actions of "the some" should be thoroughly condemned and that condemnation should be acted upon to preserve, without any sympathy for these anti-Christian individuals, the good and altruistic principles that the Catholic faith should stand for.

Incidentally I am not practising and so I'm not defending my own interests or religious beliefs. But I do think there is much good in the church for many people and it should not be thrown away because of the bad. I just believe that the bad should be thrown away - Brady being one.

What no early Sunday mass or no Saturday night mass?

orangeman

If this is a slight on the GAA, will he still be "entitled" to his free complimentary soft seats at all the big stadia for all the big matches ?

Will he have written to cycling, swimming, running, soccer, basketball, netball, rugby, orienteering, boxing and all other sporting organisations as well as the GAA or is the GAA the only one he thinks he has influence over ?

sheamy

Quote from: orangeman on August 03, 2011, 09:51:07 AM
If this is a slight on the GAA, will he still be "entitled" to his free complimentary soft seats at all the big stadia for all the big matches ?

Will he have written to cycling, swimming, running, soccer, basketball, netball, rugby, orienteering, boxing and all other sporting organisations as well as the GAA or is the GAA the only one he thinks he has influence over ?

Key word there lad. Influence.

snippets

this bus aint gonna drive itself.

mackers

In Armagh Sunday morning is used for under10 blitzes and matches and the Minor Board Secretary is a priest! As another poster has said an early Mass or Saturday evening Mass is there for anybody who wishes to use them.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

angermanagement

Listened to this on radio ulster yesterday the Catholic Church had some biy on from the Catholic voice or something.

His point was not matches been played but teams training at this time especially in some rural areas where there might not be a Saturday mass and only one mass on the Sunday.

Hardy

Sinn Féin, the Catholic church - who's going to be next to try to hijack the GAA for their own purposes? We should give the Buddhists an ould swing out of it, just for Sligonian.

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on August 03, 2011, 07:25:54 AM
This is on RTE today. The whole thing reflects poorly on Brady's judgement. Did he write to soccer leagues also?

What was it on, Joe Duffy?
I'd like to have a listen.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: angermanagement on August 03, 2011, 03:37:18 PM
Listened to this on radio ulster yesterday the Catholic Church had some biy on from the Catholic voice or something.

His point was not matches been played but teams training at this time especially in some rural areas where there might not be a Saturday mass and only one mass on the Sunday.

Was it David Quinn?

Back to Cardinal Brady. He 'encouraged' two victims of child abuse to sign a confidentiality agreement regarding their dealing with Father Brendan Smyth. This was for the benefit of the Church and Smyth, not the victims of the alleged abuse. Were it not for the persistence of a number of parents and a few journalists Brady would have got his wish and this scandal would not have seen the light of day.

His moral compass would appear to be seriously mis-calibrated and his moral authority over his flock is almost non-existant. That sentence alone is reason enough to resign imho. So what does the Vatican do? It switches the Papal Nuncio to the Czech Republic. I know the intelligentsia in Rome have probably cracked it with that stunning manoeuvre but I just can see it myself.

Back in the 80s the Church though it could brazen out the allegations as a few families and a few hacks were no match for an institution like the Catholic Church. They were right then, but wrong now. With the advent of the internet people can get info on almost anything instantly. In today's world a monolith with an enormous amount of skeletons in the closet doesn't have a prayer (sorry!).
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

this now. this is the same guy who scheduled confirmation in armagh cathedral to clash with armaghs championship match two years ago infact he started at 2pm the exact throw in time. all you could hear during the mass was texts detailing the score. he actually started with some sneering remark about the football and managed to drag the whole thing out until the match was over. i was standing at the back of the cathedral with a friend from the bridge both of us wanted to leave but couldn't. even now i'm fukn raging i would have no hesitation in shoving my boot up this guy. >:( >:(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on August 03, 2011, 04:01:23 PM
Sinn Féin, the Catholic church - who's going to be next to try to hijack the GAA for their own purposes? We should give the Buddhists an ould swing out of it, just for Sligonian.

Hah?
What's poor Sligonian gone and done now? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Toatler

He has some neck, why people wud want to go to mass in the current climate is beyond me. Cloyne, Murphy, Ryan etc...