Cardinal Sean Brady: Stop GAA matches on Sunday mornings

Started by whiskeysteve, August 02, 2011, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Cardinal calls for end to Sunday morning matches
02 August 2011

Cardinal Sean Brady has written to the four county boards in his archdiocese asking that they stop scheduling matches that clash with Sunday morning Mass.

The Cardinal is understood to have written the letter to the Armagh, Louth, Derry and Tyrone county boards after being contacted by priests in the Archdiocese of Armagh who are concerned about early throw-in times and the impact they are having on Mass attendances.

A spokesman for the Tyrone county board said that clubs were responsible for deciding when they held games or training, while the Louth county board said it endeavours "not to organise fixtures at times that clash with parish activities, including Mass, throughout the GAA calendar.

"However, there may be a small number of occasions throughout the season where this may not always be possible."

http://www.hoganstand.com/derry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=152749
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what d'ya think Seán?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sheamy

He has some bloody nerve. There are many many things I can think of to tell our Cardinal and his crew to stop and I don't think I need to go into them on this board.

Tubberman

Does he honestly think anyone is going to pander to the wishes of the Catholic Church in this day and age?
Pissing against the wind there Seanie.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bingo

Yes Fr, thats why people aren't turning out to mass, its the early matches  ::)

Doogie Browser

I just wish they would stop these sort of statements, it does them far more harm than good.

johnneycool

Alls well in Seanies world if that's all he's got to be worried about.

Rois

This happened a while ago, only hitting news now - hoganstand are slowing up...

I think it deserves to be ignored and have no doubt it will. 

Jinxy

I agree with this but only on the condition that players are allowed work on handpassing drills, tackling etc. inside the church.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sheamy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2011, 02:16:43 PM
I agree with this but only on the condition that players are allowed work on handpassing drills, tackling etc. inside the church.

That's the problem with this country. Not enough kick passing.

Stevie g 8

Naomh Pol CLG

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on August 02, 2011, 04:56:17 PM
Why doesn't he reschedule his masses????

Ya put them on when that Celtic v Rangers rubbish is on.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Jinxy

Quote from: sheamy on August 02, 2011, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2011, 02:16:43 PM

That's the problem with this country. Not enough kick passing.

You can't be kicking a ball around inside the church.
Have some respect.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TyroneRahilly

Statements like this really anger me!

Who the hell does Brady think he is? church trying to dictate our lives. fact is that Brady took part in the protection of a pedo priest for many years and let him loose to destroy other peoples lives. Any balloon would know that was wrong, even back then. as u can tell, I don't have any respect for the man and this latest statement just furthers that.

Someone needs to tell  Brady that less people attend mass because less people fall for the fear driven sh1te that they have spun for years and for the abuse and torture they have brought to many catholic homes. So mr Sean Brady, away and go ...