Snobbery towards one code in your county

Started by JBM on the 21, August 01, 2011, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

Noticed today in Cork a lot of people running down the footballers  - "you can never rely on them like the hurlers" (heard this line so many times over the years )  -  this has always existed - how they will never be as good as the hurlers (somehow forgetting the hurlers packed it in twenty minutes into the Galway game). These lads yesterday have a good record in playing in the latter stages of the championship for the last number of years (maybe being from West Cork, I am a bit more sensitive here!. You can take the abuse from outside the county but from within??!!

Anyone else experience this in their own county?

INDIANA

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on August 01, 2011, 05:43:18 PM
Noticed today in Cork a lot of people running down the footballers  - "you can never rely on them like the hurlers" (heard this line so many times over the years )  -  this has always existed - how they will never be as good as the hurlers (somehow forgetting the hurlers packed it in twenty minutes into the Galway game). These lads yesterday have a good record in playing in the latter stages of the championship for the last number of years (maybe being from West Cork, I am a bit more sensitive here!. You can take the abuse from outside the county but from within??!!

Well plenty of our officals said 3-4 years ago they'd like to burn every hurl in Dublin.

Boycey

Was at a fixtures meeting within my own county and when hurling raised its head one respected GAA man at our table said (to much hilarity) that there should be a line drawn from Dublin to Galway and no one north of it should be allowed to hurl.

haze

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on August 01, 2011, 05:43:18 PM

I'm sure it's prevalent in alot of counties but my impression is that it's definitely alive and kicking in Cork. Few lads I work with have given the me impression all year that they were just waiting for the footballers to lose so that they could stick the knife in. This Cork team seem to be an unloved bunch within the county which is all the more strange considering their recent success coupled with the recent downward spiral of their hurling team

Though to answer your question I don't think there is that much snobbery in Laois- I would think its just there is a general indifference to the hurling team in the football part of the county. The difference I think though with Cork is, if Laois hurling team were to be successful I'd think the whole county would row in behind them. Success in either code is craved in Laois

Farrandeelin

Listen, much like most Mayomen there is no hurling club in Knockmore. There's no real appetite for it. I would like to see all counties competing in both codes but that's your 'ideal world scenario' but I'd say the Mayo County board don't give a sht about hurling. Highking is the man to ask about that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Burner

limerick footballers were in an all ireland Quater final on Sunday and there was barely 1000 Limerick supporters at it. It was embarrassing to see the lack of support. At least though we try to be competitive in both which more than I can say for some counties (Meath Kildare etc etc) and given the fact that Gaelic football is 4th in terms of popularity in the county its actually quite an achievement what we have done over the last few years. Sadly though the future looks grim

deiseach

Quote from: The Burner on August 02, 2011, 06:40:40 AM
limerick footballers were in an all ireland Quater final on Sunday and there was barely 1000 Limerick supporters at it. It was embarrassing to see the lack of support. At least though we try to be competitive in both which more than I can say for some counties (Meath Kildare etc etc) and given the fact that Gaelic football is 4th in terms of popularity in the county its actually quite an achievement what we have done over the last few years. Sadly though the future looks grim

Can you really blame them for not wanting to spend an entire day and €40 on a certain defeat? The days when a trip to Croke Park was a novelty are long gone

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 01, 2011, 08:54:44 PM
Listen, much like most Mayomen there is no hurling club in Knockmore. There's no real appetite for it. I would like to see all counties competing in both codes but that's your 'ideal world scenario' but I'd say the Mayo County board don't give a sht about hurling. Highking is the man to ask about that.

The only thing less popular than hurling with the Mayo county board is the Horan Report.

Hardy

Quote from: The Burner on August 02, 2011, 06:40:40 AMAt least though we try to be competitive in both which more than I can say for some counties (Meath Kildare etc etc)

I beg your pardon!

DuffleKing

Football is 4th in Limerick behind Hurling, Rugby and ?

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

comethekingdom

Hardy

Lar Naparka

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 02, 2011, 09:22:24 AM

The only thing less popular than hurling with the Mayo county board is the Horan Report.

;D You got it in one!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

norabeag

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 02, 2011, 09:22:24 AM

And I thought James was doing a grand job uptil now!