Ulster U21 Football Championship

Started by football07, March 07, 2007, 07:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I see the game is defintely Casement next Wednesday night.

Gives Armagh an aded boost that the Cross boys are at their disposal, but do you upset the continuity of a winning team?  Hanratty is the most obvious candidate to come in to fill the position left by T Kernan, although P Kernan could easily be slotted in at corner back instead of Finnegan (who was our only weaklink IMO the last day).   I would suspect that O'Neill's position is the one most under pressure from the possible return of McKenna.

brokencrossbar1

Benny you may be right, but I know where I was the 3 weeks never mind the 3 days after winning the All Ireland the first time and the only football played was up and down the road outside Renshaws with Cathal Short's chips from the chippie van ;D  If Cross win I can only guess the state the young lads should be in

Maybe the boys are more sensible now, and certainly I would expect them to be "available for selecton" but being available for selection is hugely different than being capable for selection.

Uladh

I'd say the sensible approach would be to keep faith with the original team and have the cross lads in reserve. it'd be only fair to them if they are not going to be in shape to do themselves justice. there's a very real chance of beating derry reasonably comfortably without changing the team. McSherry did well coming in for t kernan the last day and clarke his a handy operator too. conlon will be under severe pressure for his place as he didn't look fit and there'd be a lot of competition for places now. I'd say courtney is the man under most pressure for his place to mckenna, although o'neill can be moved to 14 i suppose. i thought o'neill was much better than lavery on saturday. To be honest, i was worried about finnegan in advance but i thought he did a very good job. the ref punished him wrongly imho with two early frees but he was out in front consistently after that.

bennydorano

Have to strongly disagree regarding Finnegan, he was right in front of us for the first half, his man beat him to the ball every single time and most, if not all, of the Tyrone first half scores came down that flank.  I didn't have as good a view of him in the second half, did he not pick up that Tyrone sub McGinn that was casuing all the damage late on as well?  I also thought O'Neill was probably the weakest of the MF 'quartet' on Saturday.

Uladh

Well we'll agree to differ on finnegan. i had expecting him to struggle after watching him get a roasting in the club u21 final but he surprised me. Donaghy picked up the mcginn boy when he came on but i suppose the differences in physique didn't help there. Goes to show you how differently people view games...i thought o'neill was armagh's second best player after o'rourke. i was hugely disappointed with Lavery, especially his workrate. i will admit that i'm prejudiced against any footballer who insists on toetapping the ball every single time he gets it but o'neill fetched far more ball than anyone on saturday and chased down cavanagh and mulgrew quite a few times when he wan't marking them. lavery chased noone.

bennydorano

Anybody seen any betting for the U21's?  nothing on PP, which is usually pretty good.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2007, 12:07:24 PM
Anybody seen any betting for the U21's?  nothing on PP, which is usually pretty good.

Benny, Lone Shark has now moved to Ladbrokes.  He had said on another thread that he expected his prices to be (approx) 11/10 Armagh, 11/8 Derry, 4/1 & 9/1.
Though I don't think he has them up on site yet, but it will do no harm to keep an eye on Ladbrokes site.

armaghniac

All-Ireland U-21 odds, Ladbrokes

Cork            2/1
Laois           4/1
Armagh        5/1
Galway       11/2
Derry          6/1
Mayo         7/1
Offaly         16/1
Fermanagh 20/1
Roscommon 25/1
Tipperary  33/1
Monaghan 40/1
Sligo          50/1

Armagh and Derry is obviously seen as influential in the whole competition, more so than Monaghan and Fermanagh.

What happened in Munster, I know Clare beat Kerry, did Cork then beat Clare?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

FarneyMan

Monaghan 40-1 !!!!!! 
Madness................id say we have as good a team as Armagh, Derry or Fermanagh ! 
Monaghan have a great team this year, big powerful team, at least 10 of their starting 15 have made full senior debuts over the last 12 months............some of them are currently starring for us in the national league.  Any odds on us winning the Ulster championship ?  I'd fancy a few pound on that.................

FermPundit

Fermanagh defeated by Monaghan in Lisnaskea today!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermPundit

Monaghan into Ulster U21 decider 
Monaghan qualified for the Ulster U21 Football final by beating Fermanagh 2-8 to 0-4 in the semi-final on Saturday.
Eoin Duffy's second-minute goal helped Monaghan lead 1-5 to 0-1 at the interval with Ciaran Hanratty hitting three points for the Farney County.

Substitute Rodney Gorman scored Monaghan's second goal midway through the second half.

Armagh face Derry in the second semi-final at Casement Park on Wednesday evening (1930 BST).

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Onlooker

In Munster Cork have beaten Limerick and Waterford.  Clare beat Kerry 1-6 to 0-6 in the quarter final and Tipperary beat Clare by 5-8 to 0-7 in the semi final last Saturday.  The Munster final between Tipp and Cork will be played in Limerick on Easter Saturday.  Cork will be favourites, but Tipp are not without a chance and they did beat Cork in the Minor semi final last year.

armaghniac

QuoteMonaghan 40-1 !!!!!!
Madness................id say we have as good a team as Armagh, Derry or Fermanagh !

I hope you got your money on, FarneyMan! Seems like Monaghan are on the move!.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

FarneyMan

Unfortunately didnt put a penny on them !
Was at the game and it was a good win, they blew fermanagh away, physically far too strong for fermanagh !
Things looking good for us so far this year, we'll put it up to derry or armagh in the final and with the seniors topping the table and into the semi's of the league this weekend also...........

ard mhaca abu