Ulster U21 Football Championship

Started by football07, March 07, 2007, 07:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uselessfootballer

Armagh beat Tyrone 1-08 to 0-09 in Lurgan

Bogball XV

armaghniac

QuoteArmagh beat Tyrone 1-08 to 0-09 in Lurgan

Given Tyrone's good win over Donegal and the missing Cross' players, this is great news.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

holylandsniper

Armagh v Derry (Armagh Home Venue)
Monaghan v Fermanagh(Toss for venue)
with Semi Finals due to be played Saturday and Armagh due to play Saturday also will U21 game be moved to following week?

bennydorano

Armagh were far superior than the 1-8 to 0-9 scoreline indicates.  Armagh hit the bar with a goal at their mercy and another goalmouth schmozzle could have easily yielded another goal, plus we missed a fair amount of point chances,although to be fair Tyrone missed their fair share.  I thought Tyrone were pretty mediocre.  Armagh were superior nearly all over the field and all except the number 23, who I think was finnegan from Cross-who was skinned, played well.  Special mentions have to go to Kevin O'Rourke who i thought was the best player on the field, excellent performances also from Ferris, Lavery, McClelland and K Toner who was a collosus at FB (and pretty much wherever he played). It was a team performance and no one let us down.

Special mention for Tony Kernan who was carried off with what looked like a leg/ankle break, he had been playing well and was Armagh's main threat until carried off in the first half.

We will certainly take all the stopping now considering the talent that still has to come in, but level heads are needed as you could be dumped on yer hole very quickly by Derry.

As for Tyrone only Mulgrew and the Number 7 really featured prominently

realredhandfan

Thats a good strong Armagh team, and they fully deserved their wind.  However when Tyrone introduced Niall Mc Ginn with 18 minutes to go he scored 5 points and was very close to getting 2 goals.  Despite them jitters Armagh won through and deservedly so but it would show you how vastly syuperior teams could lose a game. .

Armamike

Great result and a timely boost!  Surprised to hear that Tony Kernan started - thought he would have been ruled out with all the other Cross players.  Very encouraging result given the difficulties facing the management this year in getting a settled team, and the absence of a few very useful Cross players.
That's just, like your opinion man.

The Bottom Brick

Monaghan will win the Ulster title lads, i wonder what price you'd get on them.

11 of the starting team against Monaghan are 6ft tall or over (according to nudie in the opaper last friday), that must be a record for under 21.

They have super forwards too, watch out for Shane Smyth, main man for Monaghan seniors (who will have 10 pts from 10 after they whup London tomorrow) all year at centre forward

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Mourne Rover

Most Down supporters will be very disappointed by today's result, but it is strange to see people turning on the manager after his first competitive game with the u21s. We lost in the first round last year, and, in the minor c'ship of 2003, with many of the same players involved, Fermanagh beat us. In Lisnaskea, this was always going to be a 50-50 game. We lost by a tight match by two points after extra time. Tyrone, with the same squad who won the all Ireland minors in 2004, also went out in the first round today. A run in the u21s would have been good, but Howard, Parr, McKernan, Colgan and McComiskey may yet be capable of playing senior county football this summer or next. Good luck to Fermanagh in the semi.

stew

Armagh win and Down and Tyrone lose, I think I will play the lotto tonight I am feeling lucky.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

FermPundit

Great result for the u21's yesterday. There are no real stars on this Fermanagh side. It just shows what can be achieved when 15 players work together as a team. With the senior team playing so poorly at the moment a good run in the u21 champioship will give great encouragement to the county!!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

football07

Who would have guessed it.The hot favourites Armagh dumped out by the underdogs Armagh. great win for them. Who do Armagh play now? Great win for Fermanagh over Down and an expected win for Derry over Antrim. Armagh are bound to be hot favourites now?

Cloc Mor

QuotePosted by: football07 
Insert Quote
Who would have guessed it.The hot favourites Armagh dumped out by the underdogs Armagh. great win for them. Who do Armagh play now? Great win for Fermanagh over Down and an expected win for Derry over Antrim. Armagh are bound to be hot favourites now?

Think you had better check you posts before you put them through.  As much as I would like to see Armagh beating Armagh, I really can't see it happening.

Orior

Quote from: football07 on March 25, 2007, 08:31:56 PM

Classic!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

football07

Man cant make any mistakes anymore. Sorry.