Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Great win and performance by the jackeens but no AI medals given out in August. Would love a belt off them for our crack at 9 in a row but that's chat if we both win semis and there will be some twists yet. What now for Tyrone , I can see alot of new faces in there next year. They were great champions in their day but the clock rolls on.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on August 06, 2011, 09:57:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2011, 09:41:49 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 06, 2011, 09:31:11 PM
Very disappointing Tyrone performance. Taking nothing away from Dublin though, they were great. Full forward line and midfield won it for them. For two lads like McAuley and Bastick who have little enough actual footballing ability in them, they were absolutely dominant.

The number of times Tyrone turned into double tackles was shocking - didn't appear to have a game plan at all. Harte, Collie Cavanagh and Mulligan were dreadful, as was Hughes. Sean Cavanagh was virtually anonymous from play.

As for the Dubs, the Brogans are just magical. Alan has come back strong this year after a few years of distinct averageness. He still kicks the odd bad miss. Still don't rate Connolly but he was great today. Wasn't under too much pressure when taking his points.

Still think Kerry will win the AI comfortably but Dublin are an awful lot better than I thought.

Dont rate Connolly. Come back to me when Antrim remotely have a player in his class.

A victory for other fellow gym monkeys like the Kildare footballers and Fyffes bananas.

When you need you humble pie Screen- I've got lashings of it to dish out.

As regards Kerry winning it handy. Not so sure. We're much better then I thought we were.

But sure we're useless and over hyped. ;D

God, you're petty. What on earth does my being from Antrim have to do with anything? Yes, I don't rate Connolly, much like most of Dublin when he went missing for two years. He played very, very well today and certainly took some lovely scores. Whether he can do that with a defender within ten yards of him on All-Ireland final day is a different matter. Or a Donegal man living in his pants for 70 mins.

Holy shit Indie relax yourself man! As I've already said its as well as I've seen Dublin play in years and yes I GOT IT WRONG!!

Having said that one swallow does not make a summer... The question now is can they back it up?? That was a Tyrone team in decline so my and everyone's judgement shall be reserved until we see more of the same

The job isn't finished yet! Good luck though after Mayo I'd like to see the Dubs doing it now...

Eyjafjallajokull

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2011, 10:00:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 06, 2011, 09:57:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2011, 09:41:49 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 06, 2011, 09:31:11 PM
Very disappointing Tyrone performance. Taking nothing away from Dublin though, they were great. Full forward line and midfield won it for them. For two lads like McAuley and Bastick who have little enough actual footballing ability in them, they were absolutely dominant.

The number of times Tyrone turned into double tackles was shocking - didn't appear to have a game plan at all. Harte, Collie Cavanagh and Mulligan were dreadful, as was Hughes. Sean Cavanagh was virtually anonymous from play.

As for the Dubs, the Brogans are just magical. Alan has come back strong this year after a few years of distinct averageness. He still kicks the odd bad miss. Still don't rate Connolly but he was great today. Wasn't under too much pressure when taking his points.

Still think Kerry will win the AI comfortably but Dublin are an awful lot better than I thought.

Dont rate Connolly. Come back to me when Antrim remotely have a player in his class.

A victory for other fellow gym monkeys like the Kildare footballers and Fyffes bananas.

When you need you humble pie Screen- I've got lashings of it to dish out.

As regards Kerry winning it handy. Not so sure. We're much better then I thought we were.

But sure we're useless and over hyped. ;D

God, you're petty. What on earth does my being from Antrim have to do with anything? Yes, I don't rate Connolly, much like most of Dublin when he went missing for two years. He played very, very well today and certainly took some lovely scores. Whether he can do that with a defender within ten yards of him on All-Ireland final day is a different matter. Or a Donegal man living in his pants for 70 mins.

Whatever. I'd say you'll need to go the dentist tomorrow you're speaking through gritted teeth so much!

His quote made me laugh too Indiana! Sure Tyrone weren't even trying to mark him toight, average enough player. Class performance from Connolly!

Have thought since the semi final last year against cork that dublin were within touching distance to Sam. They were the better side and were very unlucky not to win.

A performance like that in the semi and final, against kerry will be enough for the dub to claim sam imo.

Offalylad

Was at the game today, couldn't believe how poor Tyrone were, particularly in defence. Brogan and Connolly(some of his point taking was a joy to behold) were terrific but both had a free reign, Tyrone's marking was incredibly slack. Dublin's pace in attack was in stark contrast to Tyrone's laboured build up. They just kept running into the tackles of the Dublin men, they never learned. Has to be said, the ref did Tyrone no harm either.

lemallon

As a totally neutral Armagh supporter at the game I actually thought it was quite sad to watch in many ways and an incrediable indictment as to how far Ulster football has fallen behind.  Tyrone looked 50% less fit than Dublin after breezing past Armagh.  Jesus how bad are we ??????  Not Mickeys finest hour.  Conor Gormley at 5 for so long was a total mystery.  No way Connolly scores 5 points from play v him.  Even if he had to be sent off to stop it happenin.  Far too long in making a switch to stop it from continuing.

Tyrone carried the ball into the tackle so many times it was incredible.  Peter Hartes display proved how poor a defender Aaron Kernan has become.  That was the top league tonight Peter.  You werent going to walk through those boys.  Did Tyrone turn the ball over in the tackle once ?  No intensity at all in their defending.  Mulligan how did he stay on ??? Kyle Coney goes from starting 2 games to not even one of the 5 subs.  Strange. 

Sad to see some of the Tyrone stalwarts so poor.  B Mc Guigan P Jordan K Hughes.  All totally exposed.  R Mc Menamin not seen.  Justin Mc Mahon ?  My god what has happened there.  Looked like he was running through treacle.  Hard to see any positives to the future.  The youngsters you dont know how good they are as they havent been tried and the old men are obviously finished.  Ulster football looks in big big trouble.

Antrim : div 3 team and thats their level
Armagh : Good players but POR confirmed for another year so we have no chance.  Backwards.
Derry : Cant score without Bradleys.  More interested in club.  No chance
Down : No defenders.  No Clarke.  No Mooney.  Forget about it.
Fermanagh : Beaten vy London.  Enogh said.
Cavan : Beaten by 10 by Longford.  Pathetic.
Monaghan : Thought they were improving but destroyed by Offaly.  Not much hope
Tyrone : Huge team turnover coming.  Transition time.  Cant see success in 3/4 years. 
Donegal.  Obviously Jim Mc G has moulded them into demon workers.  But its the same team destroyed by Amragh and Cork in recent times.  Cant see them scoring more than 7/8points v Dublin.  Wont get enough men in scoring zones. 

Where has it all gone wrong and why.  ??
Too much emphasis on defence ?  Power training ? Cant see an Ulster winner in 5 years at least.  Anyone any theories or more optimism than me?

ONeill

Outfought, outthought, outmuscled, outran, outfeckingeverything, from start to finish, in every facet of the game.

There's is no point in looking at individual performances. From the moment Colm Cavanagh soloed the ball into the sky leading to the Dub's first point it was all downhill.

The Dubs were fitter, stronger and brought more intensity to the game. Tyrone were slow, less fit, ponderous, sleepy, leg heavy and well well beaten in every sector of the field. The Dubs burst through 2-3 Tyrone tackles. Tyrone were turned over at the same rate by 1-2 tacklers.

Well done Dublin - great fans and a good team (not great - still harbour doubts). Connolly could've kicked it from his own goalmouth and it would have found a way over. Bernard was class. Alan oozed it. They just need to keep doing what they're doing. They took their eye off the ball i thought around 62-68 mins and a Tyrone goal may have made it jittery. The Dubs were 10+ points the better team.

Disappointed to see so many Tyrone supporters desert this team 10 mins from the end. It was fairly obvious we were watching the death throes of a few inter-county careers. As Jordan said afterwards - 'there are more important things than football' and those lads can walk into the sunset as county legends.

No complaints. Apart from Colm's solo. And Mugsy's hair. And O'Neill not starting. And E4.10 a stout.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

clarshack

despite how poor tyrone were, that must be the best dublin have played since the heffernan days. dont forget they could/should have had 4 goals as well. in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.

however, the big problem for dublin now is that they are going to have to reproduce that performance 2 more times to win all ireland. believe it or not, jim mcguinness may be a happy man tonite instead of a worried one.

borderfox

13 or 14 points should be enough to see off Donegal comfortably. Dublin are well fit to do this.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jinxy

Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM
despite how poor tyrone were, that must be the best dublin have played since the heffernan days. dont forget they could/should have had 4 goals as well. in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.

however, the big problem for dublin now is that they are going to have to reproduce that performance 2 more times to win all ireland. believe it or not, jim mcguinness may be a happy man tonite instead of a worried one.

I genuinely don't think so.
Look at their form line vs. Donegals.
Donegal narrowly beat Tyrone and Kildare (aided by some dodgy reffing).
Dublin annihilated Tyrone and beat Kildare with 14 men.
I think they can play well within themselves and still beat Donegal by 4 or 5 points.
That would set them up nicely for the final which either way (waves at Mayo friends) they will be massively motivated for.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

37 scores in 74 minutes.

20 scores in the second half.

Value for money. Just a pity Tyrone didn't get within 3-4 points in the seond half.

clarshack

Quote from: borderfox on August 07, 2011, 12:16:24 AM
13 or 14 points should be enough to see off Donegal comfortably. Dublin are well fit to do this.

if a poor tyrone team can score 0-15 against dublin then donegal can too. however the important thing to note is donegal are setup to concede considerably less than 0-22. if you thought donegal were hardcore puke football then after tonight they will be ultra hardcore puke football  :D

borderfox

Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: borderfox on August 07, 2011, 12:16:24 AM

if a poor tyrone team can score 0-15 against dublin then donegal can too. however the important thing to note is donegal are setup to concede considerably less than 0-22. if you thought donegal were hardcore puke football then after tonight they will be ultra hardcore puke football  :D
I Dont think Donegal have the forwards with the pedigree of Tyrones. I cant see Donegal scoring more than 10 points judging by the way there set up.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

GAA_Finatic

Being tactically naive is one thing, gormley should have been moved to conolly straight away and a man should have been droped back to cover, not seeing tis is one thing, but the thing that makes me wonder is Micky diluded is taking of Brian McGuigan, clearly Tyrone's best forward in the first half, dunno how mugsy lasted the 70 either.

macdanger2

I can see Donegal troubling Dublin, I think Dublin might get distracted at the prospect of meeting Kerry in the final ;)

As good as Dublin were today, Tyrone looked tired in a similar manner to Cork last weekend.

The accuracy of the foot passing from Dublin was excellent today, esp considering the conditions. needless to say Connolly & the Brogans were massive - not dropping a sweeper back after ten minutes seemed very odd though.

I thought the new corner back for Dublin (O'Sullivan??) was v good, always out in front.

Hats off to any of the Tyrone lads who call it a day, they've given some great days to their county.