Cruciate ligament injuries

Started by glensman-derry, July 11, 2011, 12:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Green

Complete bastard of an injury. Absolute agony it was. Getting the operation done in a couple of weeks time and i am just hoping it all goes well.

neilthemac

was watching the committee room last night and there was very little mention about the type of pitches being installed at GAA grounds.

the two main issues for me are blades and harder pitches (sand based and astro turf)
also the type of grass being used. these special grasses being used have a lot more give in them and make divits much easier. have seen lads sliding and falling and leaving a huge trail after them in games and training. the grass roots are not as deep. the grasses are specially modified to look greener and grow thicker but don't have thr root systems natural grass does.

also the force that is pushed up through your leg on more compacted pitches is unreal. I hate playing on a sand based pitch. your legs are far more fatigued after a game

Canalman

Almost sure I read that this Lars surgery is a real last option. I think that alot of Aussie rules players in their late 20s / early 30s are doing it only because of the relatively short timespan it takes to do it. These lads can't take a year out for the traditional surgery.
Afaik, by doing this op., you are basically finished if the acl goes again as any further operation is out of the question.

Stand to be corrected on this though.

boojangles

Quote from: Forever Green on July 14, 2011, 12:01:44 AM
Complete b**tard of an injury. Absolute agony it was. Getting the operation done in a couple of weeks time and i am just hoping it all goes well.

+1
Hope all goes well for ya. Have my op next month. Fingers crossed.

Forever Green

Quote from: boojangles on July 14, 2011, 06:15:14 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on July 14, 2011, 12:01:44 AM
Complete b**tard of an injury. Absolute agony it was. Getting the operation done in a couple of weeks time and i am just hoping it all goes well.

+1
Hope all goes well for ya. Have my op next month. Fingers crossed.

Cheers. Good luck yourself

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2011, 11:50:00 PM
Peter Kelly, Dermot Earley, Ken Donnelly, Mark O'Sullivan, Willie Heffernan, Mikey Conway (returned Saturday night) all on the Kildare panel.

They should consider themselves lucky.
In the old days the Kildare team doctor would just shoot lads that did their cruciate.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armagho9

Did mine about a year and a half ago.  Thought the first 30 seconds or so was terrible pain but got up and walked off (hobbled).  Was not playing for a club or anything ( 7 aside soccer on astro turf) so nobody really there to help you out.  Went and got showered then drove home.  Spent about the next two months running to hospital for xrays and physio before last resort (apparently to expensive)was the proper scan (which shown ruciate and cartlidge had complete tears).  Anyway  still on nhs waiting list  ::).  Was meant to go end of this month but only started a new job so no way i could get time off (they have put it back for 3 months).  I didnt think the pain was too bad at the time but trying to sleep or find somewhere comfortable to put your leg in bed was an absolute nightmare for about 6 weeks.

Could anyone who has got operation done give me an idea how long i would need of work.  I drive a lorry

ExiledGael

Quote from: armagho9 on July 14, 2011, 09:36:26 PM
Did mine about a year and a half ago.  Thought the first 30 seconds or so was terrible pain but got up and walked off (hobbled).  Was not playing for a club or anything ( 7 aside soccer on astro turf) so nobody really there to help you out.  Went and got showered then drove home.  Spent about the next two months running to hospital for xrays and physio before last resort (apparently to expensive)was the proper scan (which shown ruciate and cartlidge had complete tears).  Anyway  still on nhs waiting list  ::).  Was meant to go end of this month but only started a new job so no way i could get time off (they have put it back for 3 months).  I didnt think the pain was too bad at the time but trying to sleep or find somewhere comfortable to put your leg in bed was an absolute nightmare for about 6 weeks.

Could anyone who has got operation done give me an idea how long i would need of work.  I drive a lorry

Impossible to say as it all depends on what exactly they will do. It's certainly not guaranteed they'll repair the ligament, infact at this stage I doubt they will given the time that has elapsed. What shape is your knee in or have the quad muscles wasted away?
All depends on the damage and the specifics in the joint. Can you fully straighten your leg now or is the joint moving freely? Quite often there will be broken off cartilage in the joint and this will need scoped out in a quick operation first. That would put you off driving for a month, technically (I had this done and was driving a bit sooner but don't know if taking that chance is possible in your job).
The full ACL reconstruction would be a few weeks longer and the rehab is a long slog. If your ACL is only 70 or 80 per cent torn then a full repair may not be neccessary and you'd be amazed at how much the cartilage repair and a lot of physio brings you on.
I have been back playing two years now with the ACL 80 percent torn and touch wood it's hanging in there ok. Lot of niggles and that at the start but with a lot of physio and gym work it comes good. I was fortunate to get the cartilage operation and the physio private and was only waiting a few weeks. Was still almost a year before I played any serious football and maybe another year before I got to the stage where the injury didn't enter my head anymore or really affect/annoy me.

armagho9

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 14, 2011, 10:09:16 PM
Quote from: armagho9 on July 14, 2011, 09:36:26 PM

Impossible to say as it all depends on what exactly they will do. It's certainly not guaranteed they'll repair the ligament, infact at this stage I doubt they will given the time that has elapsed. What shape is your knee in or have the quad muscles wasted away?
All depends on the damage and the specifics in the joint. Can you fully straighten your leg now or is the joint moving freely? Quite often there will be broken off cartilage in the joint and this will need scoped out in a quick operation first. That would put you off driving for a month, technically (I had this done and was driving a bit sooner but don't know if taking that chance is possible in your job).
The full ACL reconstruction would be a few weeks longer and the rehab is a long slog. If your ACL is only 70 or 80 per cent torn then a full repair may not be neccessary and you'd be amazed at how much the cartilage repair and a lot of physio brings you on.
I have been back playing two years now with the ACL 80 percent torn and touch wood it's hanging in there ok. Lot of niggles and that at the start but with a lot of physio and gym work it comes good. I was fortunate to get the cartilage operation and the physio private and was only waiting a few weeks. Was still almost a year before I played any serious football and maybe another year before I got to the stage where the injury didn't enter my head anymore or really affect/annoy me.

They had talked about taking a bit of muscle from the hamstring i think to use to reattach cruciate, it was completely torn.  They said that they would be removing cartlidge i think, scraping it out.  To tell the truth i am in half a mind not to bother getting operation done, its not really giving me any bother, i can straighten leg, quad muscle is built back up (well at least to same size as other leg).  I can jog but i would be worried about trying to play any form of football at any level or any sort of twisting of knee

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Canalman on July 14, 2011, 05:16:34 PM
Almost sure I read that this Lars surgery is a real last option. I think that alot of Aussie rules players in their late 20s / early 30s are doing it only because of the relatively short timespan it takes to do it. These lads can't take a year out for the traditional surgery.
Afaik, by doing this op., you are basically finished if the acl goes again as any further operation is out of the question.

Stand to be corrected on this though.

Yeah you're on the right track with that thinking..some serious drawbacks have been pointed out, even by professionals who carry out the LARS surgery...http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/serious-warning-on-lars-surgery/story-e6frf9jf-1225903656564
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

orangeman

Jinxy

Peter Kelly, Dermot Earley, Ken Donnelly, Mark O'Sullivan, Willie Heffernan, Mikey Conway (returned Saturday night) all on the Kildare panel.

Is Hugh Lynch on that list now?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2011, 03:53:22 PM

Is Hugh Lynch on that list now?

Supposedly medial ligament with Hugh Lynch.

Canalman

Injury soon to be a "piece of Cake" to remedy according to one of our players (doing medicine) at training last night.
In America ,they are pioneering the inserting of an inverted titanium "T" shaded pin into both bones with an "unbreakable" synthetic "ligament" connecting them. Acc to him this will be better than the original ACL.

Hope he is correct about this.