Armagh Vs Derry

Started by Uladh, March 06, 2007, 03:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

I will hold man hands up about Charles today Pints he had a very poor game that being said I think the 5 or 6 times I ve seen him this year apart from today, he has been very good.

I really thought Armagh had three big problems today.  1 No half back line worth talking about.  2 No half forward line 3.  No one able to make an impact at midfield.  At least when the Cross boys get back 1 and 2 should be addressed, not sure about 3 though
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

pintsofguinness

QuoteI really thought Armagh had three big problems today.  1 No half back line worth talking about.  2 No half forward line 3.  No one able to make an impact at midfield.  At least when the Cross boys get back 1 and 2 should be addressed, not sure about 3 though
I think we're putting far to much emphasis on the cross boys.  Who have we coming back, Aaron in the half back line and Oisin maybe in the full forward line because he hasn't the legs for half forward.  That's all worth talking about.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

Today was as bad as I have seen in a long time. We really struggled for long periods to make any impression against a good Derry outfit.

The best for us I thought was the full back line, especially Enda and Andy, Stevie as always in the attack and, despite what has been said, I thought Keenan showed well for the ball and got a couple of points, although I would be the first to say that I can't see him there come the Summer. Martin O'Rourke tried hard (again as always) and young Lavery showed one or two good glimpses in the first half which might give hope for the future. JP Donnelly did not do bad either when he came on.

I'm afraid a lot of the new players being tried out are not (at this stage anyway) county standard, and Paddy McKeever - who has lost some beef - was absolutely brutal. Young McKinney in nets had a day that he will probably want to forget.

The parallels with this time last year are remarkable in my opinion, with the team appearing leaden footed and way off the pace. Yet another Ulster arrived - so I'm hoping the performance can be put down to heavy training!!

As I always end up saying, I think we will still be relying on the big guns come the Summer!

One last question, to any Armagh supporter here. Can you tell me what is happening with Philip Loughran? I'd be very curious to know!  

Orior

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 11, 2007, 07:29:29 PM

One last question, to any Armagh supporter here. Can you tell me what is happening with Philip Loughran? I'd be very curious to know!  

Reported in the belfast telegraph a few weeks ago, that he broke a bone in his hand in a McKenna cup match for St Marys. He's training away and champing at the bit to get back in.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Uladh on March 11, 2007, 05:01:04 PM
the derry midfield poured down the centre of our defence like every opposition does now. the gaps in the heart of the armagh defence must be the biggest joke in the country.

Uladh, that was the most worrying that for me from today.

Why is that, does it start from the half forwards who weren't tracking back, or would you put the most of the blame on Kieran McKeever as CHB?

I also think that McKinney has blew his chance at getting the Number 1 geansai for the summer.  Depsite his brilliance as a shot stopper his lack of height has always been a perceived weakness, and I think that his error today will be too much for Big Joe to ignore.

Armagh Exile

QuoteI think we're putting far to much emphasis on the cross boys.  Who have we coming back, Aaron in the half back line and Oisin maybe in the full forward line because he hasn't the legs for half forward.  That's all worth talking about.

Pints,
What about Francie and the McEntees.  Do I detect your Crossmaglen bias and I notice that you are very hard on the Cullyhanna boys.
What's your agenda?

Bensars

Quote from: holylandsniper on March 11, 2007, 06:04:52 PM

Armaghs loss is Cavans gain, as the brains of the team seems to have moved on. 

Thats been said for a while now, the real test will be in the heat of the championship. What can be hidden slightly now will be exposed the battles over the summer !!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on March 11, 2007, 08:31:57 PM
QuoteI think we're putting far to much emphasis on the cross boys.  Who have we coming back, Aaron in the half back line and Oisin maybe in the full forward line because he hasn't the legs for half forward.  That's all worth talking about.

Pints,
What about Francie and the McEntees.  Do I detect your Crossmaglen bias and I notice that you are very hard on the Cullyhanna boys.
What's your agenda?

Have the McEntees not left the armagh panel? Francie wont have much of an impact in the half back, half forward or full forward lines where the main problems are, neither will Paul Hearty. 
Nothing to do with Cross bias, we just have to be realistic because the cross boys aren't going to solve all the problems over night. 

And explain  how I'm hard on the cullyhanna boys, I have criticised them yes, but I've also criticised players from other clubs. If disagree with anything I've said then point it out rather than accusing me of having an agenda. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Only watched it on Tv and it was shocking.  I actually thought Lavery did pretty well and I think at the minute he's the best option to partner McGrane.  Charlie Vernon was the proverbial fish out of water at CHF (a position that I have never ever seen him play before), amazing that he hasn't been given a run in his natural position in the HB line, I suppose you have to give Joe the benefit of the doubt but it is strange.  In the early stages of the first half I was thinking that Marty O'Rourke was having the worst game I had ever seen him play, but he probably ended up our best player.  Losing faith rapidly in Finnian Moriarity.  Maybe the paranoia from the Dromintee boys isn't unfounded.

If Derry got their act together mentally they could be a serious team as they have a lot of class.  It could be a very short summer as I don't think we've a mission against Donegal and one unlucky tough draw in the qualifiers and we're screwed.

Uladh

SJ

it's probably wrong to blame mckeever out of hand because its obvious he's being told to follow the chf. that's a recipe for disaster against any opposition but especially so against a player like gilligan who will play anywhere but the half forward line. if you get the ball in your hands as an opposition midfielder and there is a square 50 yards by 50 yards in front of you, where are you gonna go but straight down the centre. in an age when every team at every level in the country is preoccupied with solidifying the center of their defence, armagh's approach would be laughable if it wasn't so fundamentally kamikaze.

that said, when mckeever is trying to man mark the chf this year he has been piss poor at it.

also, what a team of lemons we have if a midfielder or half forward can't look back and see the gran canyon behind them and make some attempt to fill it. exhibit A today was fergal doherty.

its my information that phillip loughran is no longer on the armagh panel. artistic differences with josef mor...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Uladh on March 11, 2007, 09:43:59 PM
its my information that phillip loughran is no longer on the armagh panel. artistic differences with josef mor...

I did hear recently that this was a likely scenario.

A player of immense potential who to my mind never recovered from the disaster that was our 'gameplan' of the 2003 All Ireland Final!

holylandsniper

If true, not good for us at all, granted recently he wasn't playing good but potential was there as was abiliy.
Well Done Joe - Another One Bites the Dust

stephenite

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 11, 2007, 10:09:12 PM
Quote from: Uladh on March 11, 2007, 09:43:59 PM

I did hear recently that this was a likely scenario.

A player of immense potential who to my mind never recovered from the disaster that was our 'gameplan' of the 2003 All Ireland Final!

Intersting, was talking to a few Armagh heads at the Paddys day parade yesterday here in Sydney. One of them mentioned this rumour

corn02

Benny what do you mean by the paranoid comment? I know we are paranoid  :) but I just don't understand what your comments relate to, Martin O Rourke or something?

bennydorano

Anti-Dromintee bias in general.