Qualifiers

Started by snoopdog, May 30, 2011, 03:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: snoopdog on June 28, 2011, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 28, 2011, 02:36:18 AM
Last three years the All Ireland winner has come from round 2.

Tyrone were in the qualifiers from Round 1 in 08.
There were only 3 rounds of qualifiers in 2 of the 3 years mentioned, as the div 4 counties were only allowed Tommy Murphy and not Sam Maguire.  So effectively, the round 1 then was more like the current round 2.

Billys Boots

Quote from: western exile on June 28, 2011, 02:25:38 PM

There were only 3 rounds of qualifiers in 2 of the 3 years mentioned, as the div 4 counties were only allowed Tommy Murphy and not Sam Maguire.  So effectively, the round 1 then was more like the current round 2.

Eh yeah, except that there are a significant number of Div-4 teams that are still in it. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

western exile

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 28, 2011, 03:48:27 PM
Quote from: western exile on June 28, 2011, 02:25:38 PM

Eh yeah, except that there are a significant number of Div-4 teams that are still in it.
Touchy touchy there BB!   ;)
Yes there are. And rightly so.  And there probably would have been back in 2008 if they had been allowed to enter.
But all of that is beside the point that was being made.  Back then, the first round was like round 2 as we know it in current format i.e. 3 wins will get you to the AI quarter final.

P.S.  I was in Pearse Park last year when Longford beat Mayo, and I was in at Páirc Esler too, when Longford pushed Down all the way.  So I fully expect  Tyrone to have their work cut out for  them on the 9th.

waitingforsam

Ulster Council tried to get down & Armagh to have a double header for their qualifier game.

Neither was willing to give up home advantage.
Been waiting since '94

PAULD123

Too right. Why should either team give up precious home advantage. Secondly when money has been spent to develop their respective home stadia, why would they give up home advantage? And finally, why should a supporter be forced to pay increased costs (because I am assuming they would ramp up the price) because of  a match that they have no interest in seeing anyway?

AZOffaly

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 29, 2011, 02:46:38 PM
Too right. Why should either team give up precious home advantage. Secondly when money has been spent to develop their respective home stadia, why would they give up home advantage? And finally, why should a supporter be forced to pay increased costs (because I am assuming they would ramp up the price) because of  a match that they have no interest in seeing anyway?

I agree with your first two points, but the third? Really? A GAA fan would have 'no interest' in seeing an All Ireland Championship Senior match at the same venue as the one they are attending?

I love double headers.

PAULD123

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2011, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 29, 2011, 02:46:38 PM

I agree with your first two points, but the third? Really? A GAA fan would have 'no interest' in seeing an All Ireland Championship Senior match at the same venue as the one they are attending?

I love double headers.

Ok perhaps I meant more that they would have no interest in paying to see the match of two teams they don't support. yeah for sure many would watch it on TV but there will be relatively few Armagh fans inside Parc Esler and likewise few Down fans in the Athletic Grounds (though timing would allow it). There will be some, but by and large very few fans would be interested in paying to see the rival county when they have their own match to pay for on the same day

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: waitingforsam on June 29, 2011, 02:16:25 PM
Ulster Council tried to get down & Armagh to have a double header for their qualifier game.

Neither was willing to give up home advantage.

Strange. Its got absolutely nothing to do with the Ulster Council.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

waitingforsam

Strange, but fact.
Been waiting since '94

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2011, 12:48:16 PM
My blog thoughts here, http://shane-sportsramblings.blogspot.com/

Great work there AZ - enjoy the other sports snippets. Looking forward to the next one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 28, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 28, 2011, 08:11:20 AM
I have to say that the weekend's qualifiers produced probably the best set of results one could hope for.

No longer will Fermanagh, Monaghan, Cavan or Louth be sullying this year's championship. And for that we should be grateful.

Didnt get many bites, did ya Sam?  :P

Wasn't looking any. Read back over my posts. Fermanagh and Cavan has been despicably poor; embarrassingly so, they have no right to be competing in a Senior football competition. I've proposed an amalgamation of the two in the past - sure it's all we hear anyway with the Sean Quinn stuff. Monaghan's "tactics" and behaviour on the pitch annoy me - there is no excuse for the common thuggery they try to pass off as football. Happy to see Louth out as well, even though they've changed the badge. I dislike their manager and his attire and his political career forged on Sludden's incompetence.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Blowitupref

From hoganstand.com

Football  Qualifer draws next weekend

The draws for the 2011 All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers Rounds Three and Four will take place on Sunday week July 10th at Croke Park.

The draws will take place after the Leinster Football final.

Rounds 3 & 4 Football Qualifiers

1. Round 3 and Round 4 Football
Two bowls - Round 3 Draw (Bowl 1), Round 4 Draw (Bowl 2)

Round 3 Draw
Bowl 1: 8 Winners from Round 2
Down/Leitrim
Armagh/Wicklow
Longford/Tyrone
Waterford /London
Offaly/Limerick
Galway/Meath
Kildare/Laois
Carlow/Antrim

First team out has home advantage
Games to be played on July 16th

Each tie in Round 3 is drawn to play against a team from Bowl 2 in Round 4

Bowl 2: Beaten Provincial Finalists
Cork/Kerry
Dublin/Wexford
*Donegal/Derry
*Mayo/Roscommon

"The winner of these games will not be known on July 10th. Slip name should read as above.

Venues to be determined by C.C.C.C
Games to be played on July 23rd

Logistics
Draw two teams from Bowl 1 (to make 3rd Round tie), followed by drawing one from Bowl 2 (To make 4th Round fixture)

1. Draw Team 1 from Bowl A - open and announce (e.g. "Leitrim")
2. Draw Team 2 from Bowl A - open and announce (e.g. "London")
3. Announce 3rd Round Fixture (Leitrim v London i.e. Leitrim at HOME to London)
4. Draw one team from Bowl B to make Round 4 Fixture (e.g. "Donegal or Derry)
5. Announce 4th Round Fixture "Leitrim or London v Donegal or Derry" - AT A NEUTRAL VENUE

Repeat steps 1 to 5 four times to complete draw
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AZOffaly

Limerick versus Offaly fixed for 2pm Saturday in the Gaelic Grounds. Nice day out, with the double header being Galway and Cork in the hurling.

Feel sorry for the Limerick fans as they get treated like Offaly. 2pm in the Gaelic Grounds, with a 7pm throw in in Parnell park for the hurling v Antrim. Given that Cork are playing Galway in the Gaelic Grounds as well, it'll be hard for them to leave and head up the M7. Even worse for Galway, they have no chance of being in Navan for 7.

Lone Shark

Very few Galway dual supporters though, at least I've met very few in my years living down here and following games. Limerick would have a lot more crossover, nearly as much as ourselves.

drici

Carlow won't have to leave until nine o'clock now(if they are travelling on the same day as the game).
Match moved to 3-00pm.