European citybreak

Started by Arthur_Friend, May 16, 2011, 07:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Alright chaps,

I'm heading to Budapest in mid-august and then on to another city by train and then home from the second city. Can't decide where to go and was wondering if any of you have been to any of these places and could recommend them..

Belgrade - sounds fantastic but put off by having to fly to England and then another flight home (cost!)
Bratislava - I'm put off by stories I have heard about the place.
Ljubljana - anybody ever been here, whats it like?
Vienna - I'm not that fussed but perhaps its good?
Brno - sounds good but again have to fly home via Stansted.
Bucharest - bit of a jaunt by train but can fly home to Dublin.

Any advice, suggestions much appreciated!

muppet

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on May 16, 2011, 07:03:04 PM
Alright chaps,

I'm heading to Budapest in mid-august and then on to another city by train and then home from the second city. Can't decide where to go and was wondering if any of you have been to any of these places and could recommend them..

Belgrade - sounds fantastic but put off by having to fly to England and then another flight home (cost!)

Forget Brno and do Prague. Would you consider Berlin (5 hours by train from Prague)? Well worth a look and you can fly anywhere from there. Also have a look at Krakow.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Alright chaps,

Some interesting questions.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

el_cuervo_fc

If you go to ljubljana make sure and travel to a place called Bled. It's a small town to the north-west of ljubljana. Very picturesque.

The town is friendly and the beers are cheap. There is a lake with a chapel in the middle of it. There are plenty of water sports in it in the summer.

http://www.bled.si/en/

laoislad

Go to Prague. Head for a place called Goldfingers,ask for Maria and tell her laoislad sent you.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

There is a big man from up at the home place would recommend Berlin so much that he visits twice a year. I can't think what attracts him ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 16, 2011, 07:24:03 PM
Go to Prague. Head for a place called Goldfingers,ask for Maria and tell her laoislad sent you.
I'd say you could say the same for most large towns.

ross4life

Alright chaps,

Last time i was Budapest i got a bus to Krakow (took about 6hrs) Zakopane is well worth seeing, Bratislava is similar to Prague but less touristy. if you take the Austria route i would also recommend Innsbruck.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

Yeah heard some bad stories myself  ;)

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ludermor

i went from budapest to krakow a few years ago but took the night train, it took a long time but there was great craic on the train with loads of back packers drinking in one of the unoffical bars.
We done a wee tour of the citys around there and would have krakow and prague head and shoulders above the rest , esp krakow. Dirt cheap and a lovely city.

Sandino

If you decide to go to Ljubljana it's a nice little city but there's not a lot to do in it. As El C FC said you could take the bus or train out to Bled which is stunning. The bus is best way to get there as it means there will be less walking when you arrive in Bled and the bus station is beside the train station, so less hassle. Krakow is great but its the things that are near the city which are its best features and it quite cheap. As for taking in Innsbruck it is a beautiful city but its in Austria as thus its expensive. Its down to personal taste and what type of break you want.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

armaghniac

QuoteIf you decide to go to Ljubljana it's a nice little city

It is, and Slovenia is a nice place with friendly people.

Postojna Cave is the biggest in Europe, and a good expedition from Ljubljana.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

aontroim

Ljubljana is worth a visit but really there's not a lot in the city - a day or two is enough to see anything worth having a look at - food / drink is great - pizzas are huge and taste great at Ljubljanski Dvor.  Local beers are decent - Laško was the one i preferred.  Spent a decent amount of time in slovenia and had more craic outside of the city - if you are into outdoor activities its the perfect place to go - rafting / kayaking on the Soča river - hiking in the Julian Alps - unbelievable scenery and mountain huts to stay overnight if you want something different (don't ever order Vampi though!)

Travelled to Budapest from Ljubjana on the overnight train (was a long enough journey from what i remember) - not a lot to see on the way apart from Lake Balaton in Hungary.

Definitely would recommend Slovenia for a trip though but no doubt others have opinions on some of the other cities.

gallsman

Alright chaps,

Lads' piss up or with a missus?

Vienna is stunning, Bratislava is a kip.

Colleague in work says Belgrade is class for a piss up (practically giving the beer away it's that cheap) but a dive of a city. Considering it got the shit bombed out of it a little more than 10 years ago I don't think you could expect much more!

DoireGael

Same kinda question. 4 lads planning a cheap rip this summer

Things required - cheap beer, cheap flights (chatting Ryanair €60 max jobs), hostel, and a place were girls are fond of Irish lads

As far into Europe as possible......suggestions lads?

Finished with the Spain 1 week benders and funds will not permit another USA adventure.