Connacht SFC QF New York v Roscommon 1.5.11 Páirc na Gael the Bronx

Started by ross4life, April 12, 2011, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Honestly any decent club team at home would beat this NY team.... The NY team from 5 years ago would of been a lot better than this time I think

ross matt

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 28, 2011, 11:14:55 PM
bit of a longshot i know as you really need someone based in new york to answer it but ....

Anyone have any idea how New York are looking for this ?

Will they give roscommon a game ?

The increase in immigration advantage is probably overstated but NY must know they definitely have a chance. Galway were poor last season but were still a div 1 side who nonetheless were lucky to escape with a win out there. NY have hardly disimproved and if Ross were facing Galway in the morning the tribesmen would be definite favourites. I think (and certainly hope!) we will win but NY will defintely give us a game in answer to your question.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 28, 2011, 09:46:39 PM

I would have said that article backs up my point, we try to give back as much as we get but it just isn't possible! Unfortunately the light did indeed go out for that blog which is a pity as the guy was a good writer and knew his stuff as regards Mayo GAA. I think he was just too busy with work and stuff, it must take a lot of effort to keep one going. The Galway lad that couldn't spell gave it a go last year and managed about a week and packed it in. Luckily we still have Willie Joe's Mayo blog to keep us going.

Quote from: ross matt on April 29, 2011, 01:10:58 AM
How does it prove your point?

It gives a first hand account of the way (a minority of) Roscommon fans were carrying on that day. There was far more 'hatred' there that day than any words on a blog or forum.

" a good writer" ???
Yes, in the context of a GAA blog. He knew his stuff as regards Mayo football and his articles were worth a read. Its not the Irish Times, he has no remit to be impartial.

Whatever point you're trying to make you're not doing a very good job of it and if anything are contradicting yourself.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. To summarise my point:

The 'pure natural hatred' as stated by 'Ross Matt' imo comes mostly from the Ross side of the fence. In fairness, we give a fair bit back too (such as the article referenced) but I would say not near as much as is dished out to us (such as the events discussed in the article).

Anyway, its far too early in the year for this crack, hopefully we will be able to reopen this debate ahead of a Roscommon v Mayo Connacht Final but that is as much as I have to say on it for now...
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

baoithe

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 28, 2011, 11:13:15 PM
Quote from: spectator on April 28, 2011, 10:57:13 PM
I think the hatred directed towards us at times from Roscommon fans is far in excess of anything we are able to give back.

Erm ... whatever happened this guy, Cosmo?

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/the-rossies-dont-you-just-love-beating-them/

Looks like the light went out just as The Rossies derailed Mayo's Drive for Five  ...  as there doesn't seem to have been an entry since  :D ;D

I would have said that article backs up my point, we try to give back as much as we get but it just isn't possible! Unfortunately the light did indeed go out for that blog which is a pity as the guy was a good writer and knew his stuff as regards Mayo GAA. I think he was just too busy with work and stuff, it must take a lot of effort to keep one going. The Galway lad that couldn't spell gave it a go last year and managed about a week and packed it in. Luckily we still have Willie Joe's Mayo blog to keep us going.

" a good writer" ???
That article was pure hateful gutter trash talk. Most of the posts underneath condemn it. Whoever wrote should be ashamed of himself and he's certainly no loss as a "writer". 
Whatever point you're trying to make you're not doing a very good job of it and if anything are contradicting yourself.

I've never read that article before but I can certainly appreciate what he is talking about. I think I've mentioned it on here that I and others around me at games versus Roscommon have experienced very similar behaviour. I know you can argue it is a minority that behaves that way but it has happened to me on more than one occasion and consequently taints my impression of Roscommon supporters. Especially so when on one of the occasions it was a teenager and his father that were hurling the personal abuse at a guy beside me. There are muppets that go to all Connacht games but when the - shall we call them - perpetrators are individuals who appear sober and ostensibly sane they are, in my experience, always from Roscommon.

spuds

Would like to take this opportunity to wish our Connacht championship neighbours the best of luck, come on New Yory New York
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross matt

Quote from: baoithe on April 29, 2011, 10:15:44 AM
I think the hatred directed towards us at times from Roscommon fans is far in excess of anything we are able to give back.

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/the-rossies-dont-you-just-love-beating-them/

Looks like the light went out just as The Rossies derailed Mayo's Drive for Five  ...  as there doesn't seem to have been an entry since  :D ;D

" a good writer" ???
That article was pure hateful gutter trash talk. Most of the posts underneath condemn it. Whoever wrote should be ashamed of himself and he's certainly no loss as a "writer". 

I've never read that article before but I can certainly appreciate what he is talking about. I think I've mentioned it on here that I and others around me at games versus Roscommon have experienced very similar behaviour. I know you can argue it is a minority that behaves that way but it has happened to me on more than one occasion and consequently taints my impression of Roscommon supporters. Especially so when on one of the occasions it was a teenager and his father that were hurling the personal abuse at a guy beside me. There are muppets that go to all Connacht games but when the - shall we call them - perpetrators are individuals who appear sober and ostensibly sane they are, in my experience, always from Roscommon.

Thank God. I thought you were paranoid there for a minute. I think from reading this site those awful Ross supporters usually manifest themselves when Ross actually upset the apple cart and beat the "big two". Purely coincidental I'm sure. Search under posts starting with "fair play to Roscommon on their victory.... the best team won but I was sittin beside this fella and............."

ross matt

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 29, 2011, 09:16:30 AM

It gives a first hand account of the way (a minority of) Roscommon fans were carrying on that day. There was far more 'hatred' there that day than any words on a blog or forum.

" a good writer" ???
Yes, in the context of a GAA blog. He knew his stuff as regards Mayo football and his articles were worth a read. Its not the Irish Times, he has no remit to be impartial.

I'm not contradicting myself at all. To summarise my point:

The 'pure natural hatred' as stated by 'Ross Matt' imo comes mostly from the Ross side of the fence. In fairness, we give a fair bit back too (such as the article referenced) but I would say not near as much as is dished out to us (such as the events discussed in the article).

Anyway, its far too early in the year for this crack, hopefully we will be able to reopen this debate ahead of a Roscommon v Mayo Connacht Final but that is as much as I have to say on it for now...

Oh I see Cosmo. You really explained your point very well there ::).

Rossfan

I would always have seen Galway as our real  rivals  to be "not liked" but as a result of the gobshiteology of some Rhubarbs after the 1993 Connacht Final I became an unliker of all things rhubarb.
A gang of what could only be described as adult imbeciles went around knocking Blue/Yellow caps off Ros kids' heads accompanied by silly grins and comments like " yeee wooooont beee neeeeedin them ana moooorrrre haw haw haw ".
I'm sure we have a few quare ones too.
Anyway back to the real subject here ... after last Saturday any pressure from expectation of a cakewalk has well evaporated and now the pressure is on us to just win the effin thing.
The pitch , the weather , the journey will all have a part to play in reducing our effectiveness but I'm still hopeful we will do it and set up a meeting with our nice neighbours to the nort East or North West of us in June.
This will also help the Connacht Council's coffers   ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

baoithe

Quote from: ross matt on April 29, 2011, 11:59:09 AM
Quote from: baoithe on April 29, 2011, 10:15:44 AM

" a good writer" ???

Thank God. I thought you were paranoid there for a minute. I think from reading this site those awful Ross supporters usually manifest themselves when Ross actually upset the apple cart and beat the "big two". Purely coincidental I'm sure. Search under posts starting with "fair play to Roscommon on their victory.... the best team won but I was sittin beside this fella and............."

I'm from Sligo.

Blowitupref

Every team has supporters that are a disgrace to their team, most of these guys are drunken yobs at 4pm throw in's

It's wrong to claim the "minority" of Roscommon fans are like this! I think Rossies showed their true colours in 2006 when they supported Mayo in Croke park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 29, 2011, 01:05:51 PM
Every team has supporters that are a disgrace to their team, most of these guys are drunken yobs at 4pm throw in's

It's wrong to claim the "minority" of Roscommon fans are like this! I think Rossies showed their true colours in 2006 when they supported Mayo in Croke park.

Well said.

Anyways moving on from the Mayo talk,

Sweeney hoping for historic win

Seamus Sweeney hails from Creeslough in County Donegal. This is his second year in charge of the New York team. In 2010 they nearly pulled off one of the biggest shocks in football championship history when they almost knocked out Galway. With the game going into injury-time the sides were level until Padraig Joyce scored a late goal and a point to rescue the Tribesmen.

Reflecting on that game against Galway 12 months ago.

"We gave it a great go but we had two men sent off and had to play the last 20 minutes with 13 men – and that told against us – but we were proud of the way we played on the day.

"We have trained very hard for this match on Sunday but our biggest problem is our lack of competitive games.

"We have most of the panel that we had last year. There are one or two new lads in the panel but it's mostly the lads from last year. We are very hopeful that we can do well, but we know the challenge that's facing us.

"Roscommon are Connacht champions, are in the Division Four League Final and St Brigids were unlucky to lose the All-Ireland club football final. That's what we are dealing with. They have some class players like Donie Shine and Senan Kilbride and we know that unless we play out of our skins we will not be able to compete with them.

"Roscommon are a team on the way up and we know that but it will be a great occasion. Roscommon have a great following and there will be a good atmosphere at the match.

"We love playing on the astro-turf pitch. Naturally we are used to it now. It gets very warm on the pitch on a hot day, that's the only drawback to it really, but I can see a lot of these pitches being developed in Ireland in the future.

"We are underdogs going into the match for sure but if you want a day in the sun you have to go to the beach, and we will be trying our very best to win this championship game on Sunday."

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

There was an interview with Eugene Rooney (former Mayo player and prominent Irish GAA man in New York) on mid-west at lunchtime. He reckoned that NY are weaker this year and provided that Ros take them with any degree of seriousness they should win easy enough.

Blowitupref

Cosmo did you not read the above piece?

"We have most of the panel that we had last year. There are one or two new lads in the panel but it's mostly the lads from last year.#2

More or less the same panel that could have shocked Galway last year so how are they weaker?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 29, 2011, 07:42:43 PM
Cosmo did you not read the above piece?

"We have most of the panel that we had last year. There are one or two new lads in the panel but it's mostly the lads from last year.#2

More or less the same panel that could have shocked Galway last year so how are they weaker?

Sure I have no idea if they're weaker or not, nobody on this side of the Atlantic does. I was just quoting Eugene Rooney.

In fairness the NY manager is hardly going to say 'we're shit this year' in the run up to the game. Rooney would know the NY GAA scene and would be fairly neutral compared to Seamus Sweeney.

ross4life

I'd say Mr Rooney is judging New York on that FBD defeat to Mayo last October.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open