Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 02, 2011, 01:39:44 PM
The amount of goals Doherty is grabbing these days is ridiculous! He nailed two for Burrishoole last weekend too against Knockmore. He must be on something like 14 in 12 games with club and county. Phenomenal.

I'm scared to think how many he might score against us if it's a Ros v Mayowestros Connacht final.  :-[ :-[ :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on May 03, 2011, 03:59:29 PM
Wasn't Trevor Mortimer part of the Mayo panel in this year's FBD it's not like he's been away for a few years? Doherty has come on alot in the last year, i saw him play v us in the U21 game & he certainly didn't look like a goal machine back then.

I'm surprised you've forgotten the 2-4 that Doherty scored vs Roscommon in the 2009 U-21 championship in Charlestown. Including a scrambled goal in the last minute of injury time to bring the game to extra-time where Mayo won. That was some game!
Regarding last year, there was very little positives about the Mayo performances that day so I wouldn't knock him for that.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on May 03, 2011, 04:25:26 PM
Wasn't Trevor Mortimer part of the Mayo panel in this year's FBD it's not like he's been away for a few years? Doherty has come on alot in the last year, i saw him play v us in the U21 game & he certainly didn't look like a goal machine back then.

Nope - hasn't been involved under James Horan at all up until now. He was off travelling for a few months as well.
Re Doherty, he's hit an unbelievable goal-scoring streak. Hopefully it's not just a 'streak' as I labelled it, and is something that he can consistently produce. We've never had a consistent goal-scorer in the time I've been watching Mayo - although in fairness, not many teams do.

Ok maybe not part of Horan's panel but the piece says "Trevor Mortimer is expected to train with Mayo tonight (Tuesday) for the first time since last June" quick google search & he played for Mayo (as Captain) v New York last October.

Doherty confidence levels at the moment must be sky high & would have to fancy him to score a few goals v London.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 03, 2011, 04:48:19 PM

I'm surprised you've forgotten the 2-4 that Doherty scored vs Roscommon in the 2009 U-21 championship in Charlestown. Including a scrambled goal in the last minute of injury time to bring the game to extra-time where Mayo won. That was some game!
Regarding last year, there was very little positives about the Mayo performances that day so I wouldn't knock him for that.

No i haven't 2009 was another one that got away  :(..as i stated above & with any top forward goals brings huge confidence.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ludermor

Quote from: ross4life on May 03, 2011, 04:50:33 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 03, 2011, 04:25:26 PM

Nope - hasn't been involved under James Horan at all up until now. He was off travelling for a few months as well.
Re Doherty, he's hit an unbelievable goal-scoring streak. Hopefully it's not just a 'streak' as I labelled it, and is something that he can consistently produce. We've never had a consistent goal-scorer in the time I've been watching Mayo - although in fairness, not many teams do.

Ok maybe not part of Horan's panel but the piece says "Trevor Mortimer is expected to train with Mayo tonight (Tuesday) for the first time since last June" quick google search & he played for Mayo (as Captain) v New York last October.

Doherty confidence levels at the moment must be sky high & would have to fancy him to score a few goals v London.
Horan didnt manage the team against New York, that honour went to Eoin Sweeney the Physical Therapist.

thejuice

I might head down and cheer on London. I think they have a good chance.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on May 03, 2011, 05:41:07 PM

Yerra you might be better off following London this year anyway.
MWWSI 2017

Blowitupref

Quote from: muppet on May 03, 2011, 05:51:58 PM

Yerra you might be better off following London this year anyway.

All set up for a Mayo v Meath OF so..
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

A good chance of....??? turning up?
I expect the rhus to win this by as much or more than we beat NY.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cosmo Kramer

The article is probably still correct, I'd say the only training done for the NY game in October was in pint glass lifting.

Not sure what Trevor can add at this stage unless he returns to his form from years back. In recent seasons he has shown little other than the ability to solo into blind alleys.

I would have Dermot Geraghty in the squad for the sole purpose of marking Michael Meehan every year. He cleaned him repeatedly in his last stint with Mayo. He has always struggled against tall forwards though and his size will always hold him back.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on May 03, 2011, 07:49:54 PM

The article is probably still correct, I'd say the only training done for the NY game in October was in pint glass lifting.

Not sure what Trevor can add at this stage unless he returns to his form from years back. In recent seasons he has shown little other than the ability to solo into blind alleys.

I would have Dermot Geraghty in the squad for the sole purpose of marking Michael Meehan every year. He cleaned him repeatedly in his last stint with Mayo. He has always struggled against tall forwards though and his size will always hold him back.

That and kick the ball away whenever he gets it. Really disappointed he's back but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ildanach

horan must have him back for a reason. he has not been afraid to cut boys eho he deemed not up to it so far the year so hopefully his faith in t mort will be rewarded.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 03, 2011, 09:16:44 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on May 03, 2011, 07:49:54 PM

That and kick the ball away whenever he gets it. Really disappointed he's back but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

I think it s a bit harsh on Trevor to be disappointed he s back. I mean there was never any doubting his commitment and if he still has the pace and energy he s always going to get on a lot of ball. With injuries bound to mount up we may be glad of him yet. I m not saying he is going to start or anything but he might have a lot to offer yet. I believe he could be a good 6 or do the libero jobs that Andy, Howley and McLoughlin do also. Even a wing forward role is not out of the question as long as he is under strict instruction to carry and lay off only! He could be spancelled to stop him tryin to kick the ball!
Harte missing the lot is a blow imo but I realise that that would not be a universal feeling. A tear in a ligament in the other knee will take at least 4 months so effectively 2 summers are gone for him.

AbbeySider

I cant say im necessarily disappointed in Trevor being back.
If he is deemed good enough and Horan has something in mind for him then good and well.

Maybe the break did him well and he has a fresh appetite for it.
He has ferocious energy and I think he still has pace so he could have something to offer, maybe as an impact sub

RedandGreenSniper

We also might see more of them this year where he has something to prove and has to work his socks off to get near the team in comparison to the riduculous situation of 2009 and 2010 where he was guaranteed to start in every game, as captain, until management finally saw the writing on the wall for the Longford game.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year