Started by AbbeySider, April 04, 2011, 10:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Good spell for Monaghan... 1-17 to Mayo 2-12

AbbeySider

AbbeySider

maigheo

AbbeySider

Mayo playing frantically to get a score. Into injury time.

AbbeySider

Never beat the deeler

Hard luck to Monaghan. Mad to think that if Galway scored another point against Dublin, it would be Armagh and not Monaghan relegated along with Galway
Hasta la victoria siempre

Maguire01

Despite going down, it was a competitive and exciting game. Some good performances for Monaghan - Hughes was brilliant and Freeman was looking more like his old self, at least for stages of the game. Good to have Lennon back in midfield again and whilst Clerkin wasn't great, he did win a few frees. Dessie Mone had another great game. Finlay had a relatively poor game by his high standards and seemed off the pace but contributed a massive 10 points from frees, so if you can do that on an 'off' day, it's not so bad!

Mayo's second goal was very soft - terrible blunders in defence with a kickout turned over very quickly. Monaghan unlucky not to score two more in the first half.

Maguire01

One more thing - the referee today, Eddie Kinsella from Laois - i've never seen him before and hope I never do again. Brutal.

Farneylawd2011

Overall i believe it was a better performance than last week.Darren Hughes had a good game.Owen Lennon did well in Midlfield aswell.Nice goal by Tommy Freeman.Conor McManus ok of a game.Dick Clerkon i think had an ok of a game aswell.Referee missed alot of frees.Sad though as i think it will be a long time before we get back up to Div 1 again there is alot of difficult teams in Div2 .This is how Div2 is next year:Monaghan,Galway,Derry,Tyrone,Kildare,Meath,Westmeath and Louth.So there shall be some tough games.

Main Street

I have just caught up with the game reading the avid Mayo posts here.
I wouldn't have like to be listening to the afternoons events live, considering Galway came so close at the end.
We could not do anymore than win the game we had to.
I think we have ended the league with some dignity after a close fought game.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on April 10, 2011, 07:31:36 PM
I think we have ended the league with some dignity after a close fought game.
Yep, apart from the Kerry and Down games, we were very competitive. And very unlucky not to pick up points v Armagh and Dublin. Definitely not all doom and gloom!

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 10, 2011, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 06, 2011, 11:20:48 PM
Do you know who had a lot of trouble getting to Iniskeen once? Paddy Kavanagh:

Iniskeen Road: July Evening

The bicycles go by in twos and threes -
There's a dance in Billy Brennan's barn to-night,
And there's the half-talk code of mysteries
And the wink-and-elbow language of delight.
Half-past eight and there is not a spot
Upon a mile of road, no shadow thrown
That might turn out a man or woman, not
A footfall tapping secrecies of stone.
I have what every poet hates in spite
Of all the solemn talk of contemplation.
Oh, Alexander Selkirk knew the plight
Of being king and government and nation.
A road, a mile of kingdom, I am king
Of banks and stones and every blooming thing.

He was the boy, Kavanagh. Second only to Yeats as our greatest 20th century poet. Hope you're all proud of him in Monaghan.

Mike Finner just mentioned that poem on Mid West!
An obvious reader of the board    ;D

He should have mentioned the poem about Kerr s big ass. Mid West far too predictable and safe. :(

Couldn t be at the match unfortunately. And while the result was largely acedemic for us, conceding 19 scores suggests we were second best around the middle?

mannix

Jason doherty is a breath of fresh air, I am sure all the lads try very hard and I salute them for giving up what they do and training hard. Whether they are good enough or not time will tell, for now my guess is we are still short a few players.
i wonder would todays game have changed horans mind about any players or made his mind up about others?

Never beat the deeler

From reading JH's comments in the Mayo Advertiser, it seems he was less than impressed with the effort being expended by some of the lads yesterday. Good to see he cares, even though it was a meaningless game.

I would have thought that most of the players would be looking over their shoulders at least, and not happy to coast through a game....

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/38595/mayo-fail-to-pass-monaghan-exam-
Hasta la victoria siempre