Mayo v Cork McHale Park 03/04/2011

Started by maigheo, March 29, 2011, 01:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 02, 2011, 12:02:31 AM
Think Mayo will win this.Doubt if Cork are too bothered about reaching league final and will use two remaining games to try out players. This team is average enough and I don't think Paddy Kelly will play. Fiachra Lynch is not bad but he is very much a fringe player. Expect Mayo to dominate midfield in the abscence of Walsh and to win by 3 or 4 points..

An informative insight. I hope you're right.

@stephenite - Yeah, O'Neill missed a lot of 2009 with same injury afaik
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 01, 2011, 10:35:03 PM
Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on April 01, 2011, 05:48:38 PM
Will Mayo have the same fullback as they had against Dublin? He looked a bit small to me,
Fiachra Lynch is 6'3" and good under a high ball.

God bless you both, Chris and Snoop. You know how to sugar the pill to help the medicine go down.  ;D

The full-back against Dublin is 5'9" with the wind in his hair I believe. Sure what chance had he?
If it were up to me, I'd have a word with Dublin zoo and see if they can get the lend of one of their gorillas to go back there on the edge of the Mayo square and impose rule among the ungodly. I remember Mick Lyons. He was the boy. Not much nonsense on his watch.

We have to get over this obsession with the full-back thing. There is no such thing as a full-back (as Maggie Thatcher said about society). Mick. Noel Tierney, Francie, Jack Quinn, Seán Doherty and The Iron Man from Rhode and all the old hardies were great but are as relevant as Victorian manners now.

parkoncrokie

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 02, 2011, 12:02:31 AM
Think Mayo will win this.Doubt if Cork are too bothered about reaching league final and will use two remaining games to try out players. This team is average enough and I don't think Paddy Kelly will play. Fiachra Lynch is not bad but he is very much a fringe player. Expect Mayo to dominate midfield in the abscence of Walsh and to win by 3 or 4 points..

Our mindset needs to change in saying Hopefully cork wont be too bothered about winning. we need to
be playing against teams at full strength and want it 100%.to gauge where we are at .Definatlly Cork didnt want to win last year when we beat them in the group stages and look what happened in the final.
they ambushed us.in to thinking we were worl beaters.and we fell for it hook line and sinker I hope to god we beat them on sunday and It migt be a sign of progress at the right time but only against a cork team that gave it 100%

parkoncrokie

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 01, 2011, 01:03:15 PM
This has to be one of the quietest Mayo threads ever!!!

Any word on the team yet??

Five games in and we have yet to bring in a reliable freetaker - this is something we've lacked sinec MS retired and something we could badly do with.

Winning this game would secure Div 1 for us next if Monaghan don't get something out of the Kerry game. Difficult to see though, I have a feeling Cork will be able to up it a gear or two if needed in the last 15-20 minutes.
Sat  Morning and no team announced yet. when are the matchday programmes done Im sure they need
to be done by now.meaning the team should be known.

Tatler Jack

I don't mean Cork won't be trying but I doubt if they will burst a gut to pull it out of the fire if they are a few points behind going in to last 10 minutes. The team has an experimental look about it and some of the newer faces are average enough - certainly no better than any Mayo players. I am not  convinced of this Cork midfield and I think Mayo can get on top there early on and put the Cork defence under pressure. O'Sullivan at FB for Cork is an experiment and the half backl line could also come under pressure, Interesting Cadogan is now back in h/back line where he played as an U21 and looked at that time a natural half back. In the games against Monaghan and Down he made some great attacking runs from the FB line so Mayo will need to curtail him.

Would not be surprised to see a couple of more changes on Cork team before the start - in any event this game gives Mayo a great chance to get 2 league points and ease their relegation worries.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo team named

Mayo Team & Panel as follows:

1)   Robert Hennelly   Breaffy
2)   Tom Cunniffe   Castlebar Mitchels
3)   Alan Feeney   Castlebar Mitchels
4)   Keith Higgins   Ballyhaunis
5)   Richie Feeney   Castlebar Mitchels
6)   Ger Cafferkey   Ballina Stephenites
7)   Lee Keegan   Westport
8   Aidan O'Shea   Breaffy
9)   James Kilcullen   Ballaghaderreen
10)   Kevin McLoughlin   Knockmore
11)   Alan Dillon   Ballintubber
12)   Andy Moran   Ballaghaderreen
13)   Cillian O'Connor   Ballintubber
14)   Alan Freeman   Aghamore
15)   Jason Doherty   Burrishoole

16)   David Clarke   Ballina Stephenites
17)   Peadar Gardiner   Crossmolina
18)   Chris Barrett   Belmullet
19)   Barry Moran   Castlebar Mitchels
20)   Jason Gibbons   Ballintubber
21)   Tom Parsons   Charlestown Sarsfields
22)   Aidan Kilcoyne   Knockmore
23)   Enda Varley   Garrymore
24)   Ronan Rochford   Crossmolina
25)   Aidan Campbell   Swinford
26)   Eoghan O'Reilly   Castlebar Mitchels

That's not far off what I thought it would be. But some mild surprises - Lee Keegan and Cillian O'Connor. That will be our full-forward line for the summer, methinks. And close enough to the rest of the team too. I'm optimistic looking at that.

Edit: Five changes from the Dublin game.

maguire 4 mayo

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 02, 2011, 10:39:04 AM
Mayo team named

That's not far off what I thought it would be. But some mild surprises - Keegan and Cillian O'Connor. That will be our full-forward line for the summer, methinks. And close enough to the rest of the team too. I'm optimistic looking at that.

thought keegan was gone from the pannel after the FBD Final, hasnt even be in the 26 man squad much at all since then....
is one of the slectors in the new set up from westport ?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: maguire 4 mayo on April 02, 2011, 10:43:48 AM
Mayo team named

That's not far off what I thought it would be. But some mild surprises - Keegan and Cillian O'Connor. That will be our full-forward line for the summer, methinks. And close enough to the rest of the team too. I'm optimistic looking at that.

thought keegan was gone from the pannel after the FBD Final, hasnt even be in the 26 man squad much at all since then....
is one of the slectors in the new set up from westport ?

Martin Connolly is who you're thinking of. He's actually from Ballindine but managed Westport last year so probably knows more than anyone what Keegan is made of. He's one guy I certainly wouldn't accuse of parorchialism. Keegan hasn't been named in many squads but has been involved all year. Ronan Rochford is on the bench too, I don't think he has been in any squad before this.

Cosmo Kramer

Looks like Horan is determined to experiment all the way to the end of the league regardless of the outcome. I'm all for experimentation but this is our 10th competitive game and we only have two more after this (including London) before it gets serious. It really is time to be nailing down a 15 now and sticking close enough to it bar an odd change here or there.

On the positive side its good to see Feeney back and will be interesting to see him against a 6 foot 3 inch full forward. The full forward line looks like it has a decade of mileage in front of it, but I think this year could be a year too soon for O'Connor.

Negatives - that midfield could go either way, we could find that one of them solve a problem for us or they could get wiped. I am yet to be convinced at all by Kilcullen since he has come back but I haven't seen all the games so maybe I'm missing something. Also, how many different players have we tried at 7 now?

I'd fancy Cork to win this to be honest.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

parkoncrokie

Mayo team named

Edit: Five changes from the Dublin game.

Looks ok   The Management know best..the Diamond around the middle has the experience of Dillon the power and strength of O shea and kilcullan. and Caff will be needed there as well for breaking ball. so if they break even in Mf it could be close but I think all we can expect and hope for is a good solid performance going forward I cant see anything other than a Cork win. hope im Wrong

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on April 02, 2011, 12:43:53 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 01, 2011, 10:35:03 PM
Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on April 01, 2011, 05:48:38 PM
Will Mayo have the same fullback as they had against Dublin? He looked a bit small to me,
Fiachra Lynch is 6'3" and good under a high ball.

God bless you both, Chris and Snoop. You know how to sugar the pill to help the medicine go down.  ;D

The full-back against Dublin is 5'9" with the wind in his hair I believe. Sure what chance had he?
If it were up to me, I'd have a word with Dublin zoo and see if they can get the lend of one of their gorillas to go back there on the edge of the Mayo square and impose rule among the ungodly. I remember Mick Lyons. He was the boy. Not much nonsense on his watch.

We have to get over this obsession with the full-back thing. There is no such thing as a full-back (as Maggie Thatcher said about society). Mick. Noel Tierney, Francie, Jack Quinn, Seán Doherty and The Iron Man from Rhode and all the old hardies were great but are as relevant as Victorian manners now.

I like Victorian manners almost as much as I like Mick Lyons. Please and thank you and respect for elders are eternal values and if they're not, they damn well should be.

I see where you're coming from Moysider and I'm fully aware of the points you've been making during the League about game plans and tactics and the way the team is(n't) knitting together. But I can't get around the idea that a big bad hombre minding the house makes everyone in front of him feel better.

This Sunday is a bit of lottery. Both kind of meh team selections. Mayo need to win it more - maybe that will swing it. But who knows, really? Who knows what the hell is going on?

moysider

Just about to hit the road. Reasonably hopeful we can get something from the game if we keep it tight early on. Anyway if we show a bit more cop on it ll be progress I suppose.

Cosmo Kramer

Real soccer style response from the Mayo fans to the ref there at half time, rarely hear that at a league match.

Mayo one point ahead at half time (7-6) but will be playing into a hurricane in the second half.

Cosmo Kramer

No stopping Doherty at the moment - 6 goals in 4 starts for Mayo...

1-11 to 0-7, wouldn't have seen that coming at half time.

AbbeySider