Ulster Under 21 Football & Ulster Under 21 Hurling Championships 2011

Started by drici, February 11, 2011, 12:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: tyroneman on April 13, 2011, 11:43:27 PM
No scores from Coney?

Game by-passed him to a large degree and when he got the ball he nearly always had two men hanging of him.

This Cavan team also have perfected the art of fouling out the field and really slowing down the free by blocking, holding onto the ball, shoving etc. Not complaining though as we have used it a lot in senior football.

On a side note, they obviously weren't expecting such a big crowd as only two turnstiles open on the 'road' side of the ground. At approx 8.15pm the gates had to be opened and at least 200-300 people got in for free as there was a major crush to get in through the stiles.

orangeman

Very well done to Cavan - much, much hungrier team who looked as if they wanted it a lot more than Tyrone and who were up for it a lot more than Tyrone  - but that's not to say that the result could have been different had Tyrone converted some glorious opportunities for goals and points. I thought Tyrone were going to get a penalty near the end which would have swung the game in Tyrone's favour. Also with about 5 minutes left and 2 points Down, Tyrone's Mc Nulty was hit with the mother of all big hits ( not sure if it was fairly or unfairly ), the ref didn't blow ( not that he blew much all night to be fair to him ), and instead of there being a point in it, Cavan worked the ball up the field and hit a mighty score. Fine line between winniong and losing. Tyrone had 11/12 wides compared to Cavan's 4/5 wides ??

I would love to see Cavan go on now and win the whole thing.

Any craic

Watch the Tyrone penalty claim late in the second-half - http://bit.ly/glztK9

armaghniac

Great to see Cavan coming through. With Donegal last year the Ulster scene is getting more interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

cavanmaniac

Delighted for our lads, it's a serious monkey off our backs to finally beat Tyrone, Lord knows we've been knocking on the door long enough and have suffered plenty of underage anguish at the red hands...if we got any bit of luck in this final we surely had it well earned for the last ten years.

This is a shot in the arm for our ailing fortunes and for the neutrals, puts a slightly new perspective on the Ulster scene too. Most refreshingly, it'll finally open the eyes of a lot of so-called experts from outside (and a few inside) the county who have been saying forever that 'Cavan don't produce at underage' and 'Cavan don't have the players'. Simplistic, results-based analysis from afar will always point to that slightly lazy conclusion but thankfully now there's some silverware there to show that in a football-mad county like ours, there's always a decent amount of talent around and it's just a matter of channelling it right and getting the breaks sometimes.

Chuffed to bits. ;D

rrhf

Most importantly well done to Cavan who deserved their victory and hopefully you can take an ai title back to Ulster and restabliish yourselves. Disappointed from a Tyrone perspective and I think Take your points may have a point there.  I noted that 13 of the Cavan team that lost to Tyrone 3 years ago were playing last night whilst many less of the Tyrone team were.  Perhaps success can stint players application and many fail to push on. Unfortunately I wonder did the management have a chance to review players club performances of guys who just didnt make the minor squads over the last while as I know of 1 player would have been a much better half back option and who was unlucky to miss out on the panel in 2008 -  particularly with our injuries mounting.  As long as we keep an open mind to late developers in senior club football we might yet be able to spot the next Ryan Mc Menamen type who never made a minor or u21 squad etc.    These 5 games will have brought on the county senior lads who now need a bit of club football to restore their joi de foot by taking the pressure off and learning their game at different levels.  No ones the finished deal but as we seen last Sunday some of our senior players no longer are either.   

Any craic

See some first-half scores from the game, played at a frenetic pace in front of a lively 5000 crowd mainly of the Breffni Blue persuasion - http://bit.ly/eJTHGA

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Any craic on April 14, 2011, 07:53:48 AM
See some first-half scores from the game, played at a frenetic pace in front of a lively 5000 crowd mainly of the Breffni Blue persuasion - http://bit.ly/eJTHGA

Great score from Harte there! Is that mcguigan with the shaved head?
Looked like there was alot break away stuff.
Congratulations to Cavan I'd say hunger was the key factor in this title! Not saying the Tyrone lads weren't hungry but I can imagine Cavan were super hungry for it!

Denn Forever

Looks like its the Munster/Connacht semi final unless the show the other semi final instead of the Munster/Scarletts game.  Heres hoping.

20:15 GAA Beo Coverage of an All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship semi-final, featuring either Ulster v Leinster or Munster v Connacht (Kick-off TBA). Commentary by Brian Tyers.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Thanks to all the Tyrone posters, ye have been very gracious in defeat and thanks for the best wishes in the semi. I just hope the lads can get their feet back on the ground and get focuses. Wexford will have a big advantage in having been able to sit and watch that match yesterday and hatch a plan.

What about Paddy King for an impact sub at the end of that game, 2 points and won some critical possession. Delighted for him as he never even got on as a sub in the 1st 2 games.

omagh_gael

So that's all of the respective minor provincial champions from '08 out of the '11 u-21 championship. Goes to show how successful minor teams don't always fulfill their potential further down the line. Clearly that Cavan minor team have worked their balls off over the past 3 years and it's paid dividends. Thirteen out of their team that played against Tyrone in '08 played last night, they cleary had some hunger.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 14, 2011, 11:30:19 AM

What about Paddy King for an impact sub at the end of that game, 2 points and won some critical possession. Delighted for him as he never even got on as a sub in the 1st 2 games.

Great to see a lad like that come on and make an immediate impact.

laoisgaa

From Tg4
SATURDAY 16 APRIL
8:15pm   GAA Beo
Full deferred coverage of Galway v Cork in the Cadbury GAA All Ireland U21 Football Championship Semi-Final from Cusack Park, Ennis.
Presented by Micheál O Domhnaill with commentary and analysis by Brian Tyers and former Galway player Seán Ó Domhnaill.

redandblackareback

Quote from: tyroneman on April 13, 2011, 11:43:27 PM
No scores from Coney?

I only seen 1 of the 3 games down played against tyrone but from what I seen and what I heard about this lad are two differing opinions, I personally feel the lad is seriously over hyped, I didnt see the other 2 games so maybe Im wrong but even at schools level I remember a few years back being at Casement park to watch St Malachys playing holy trinity and all the talk was about Kyle Coney... He disappointed that day too.. Is the lad really that good?? Do tyrone posters think he ll feature for the seniors this year?

Many congratualtions to Cavan, its great to see another county having success outside of Down, Tyrone and Armagh. Well Done.

Any craic

See the best score from last night, a Cavan break for a point from a sub just when Tyrone were knocking on the door. You have to say that Cavan played good, fast, strong, modern football. You could even say they beat Tyrone at their own game. Possession and breaking at pace and power. A lot of Cavan teams have failed in recent times because they kicked away possession but not this time.  http://bit.ly/emMGTv