Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gander

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 07, 2011, 11:16:49 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 07, 2011, 11:08:59 AM
In my opinion, the difference between the teams was the goal-keepers.

Cluxton was excellent (proved he's the best!). 2 fantastic saves from goal bound efforts & also saved a point. His kick outs were varied & superb!

McEvoy on the other hand, although obviously a fine shot stopper, dithered when it mattered for the 2nd goal - he was certainly favourite for that ball but stopped. His kick outs had Armagh under pressure (reminded me of an underage match).
Vernon brought fantastic intensity to the game, some great clashes with Bastic. Donaghy was excellent.
Nippy was superb.

He can get lenght in them but they hang up.  Hearty can be erratic too but he drives his kicks more than hanging them and that makes a difference.  McEvoy is a good keeper but doesn't inspire confidence, he doesn't command his back line and could have saved both goals.  he did pull off one good save but it was also a tad fortunate.  I would give the McCullough lad his turn in the next game to see what he is made of.

What ever happened Paudi Rodgers?  He was looking like a good keeper a few years ago

BerfArmagh

have to say I don't see what the attraction is with Dyas, someone suggested playing in the HF line come championship WTF???? I have yet to see him play well for Armagh

illdecide

Quote from: BerfArmagh on February 07, 2011, 12:02:27 PM
have to say I don't see what the attraction is with Dyas, someone suggested playing in the HF line come championship WTF???? I have yet to see him play well for Armagh

I think he's over rated myself and what has he achieved in club football to warrant a call up. A spell in Aussie Rules seems to be enough, he may well be a lot better than i think but i haven't seen it yet
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 07, 2011, 11:08:27 AM
Decent performance and a lot of positives.  i thought the defence did ok with Duffy, Donaghy and Mallon being the pick.  MF worked hard but need to win more first time ball.  Swift was excellent, Stevie played well but he should not be playing anywhere outside of the 30m infront of the goal.  He is need there to get scores.  Come champioship I would like to see the team line out,

Hearty

Mallon  Donaghy  Mckeown/Morgan

AK  McKeever  Duffy

Vernon  Toner

Dyas  R Clarke  Padden

Stevie  Nippy Jamie

I cant see McKeown making the county team. Would the other Kernan not be in front of him?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Joxer

Other Kernan isnt on the panel I dont think.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on February 07, 2011, 12:25:59 PM
Decent performance and a lot of positives.  i thought the defence did ok with Duffy, Donaghy and Mallon being the pick.  MF worked hard but need to win more first time ball.  Swift was excellent, Stevie played well but he should not be playing anywhere outside of the 30m infront of the goal.  He is need there to get scores.  Come champioship I would like to see the team line out,

Hearty

AK  McKeever  Duffy

Vernon  Toner

Dyas  R Clarke  Padden

Stevie  Nippy Jamie

I cant see McKeown making the county team. Would the other Kernan not be in front of him?

Paul will make the cut as will Morgan.  PK is not a corner back.  He is the type of player needs to play centrally so I can't see him playing in the corner. 

Quote from: illdecide on February 07, 2011, 12:09:35 PM

I think he's over rated myself and what has he achieved in club football to warrant a call up. A spell in Aussie Rules seems to be enough, he may well be a lot better than i think but i haven't seen it yet

Dyas does a lot of work that goes unnoticed.  I reckon he would be a very useful wing forward as he is good at foraging and can work very hard.  Also he can work as a cover for either AK or Paul Duffy, giving them more licence to attack.

mountainboii

Quote from: gander on February 07, 2011, 11:49:00 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 07, 2011, 11:16:49 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 07, 2011, 11:08:59 AM
In my opinion, the difference between the teams was the goal-keepers.

Cluxton was excellent (proved he's the best!). 2 fantastic saves from goal bound efforts & also saved a point. His kick outs were varied & superb!

McEvoy on the other hand, although obviously a fine shot stopper, dithered when it mattered for the 2nd goal - he was certainly favourite for that ball but stopped. His kick outs had Armagh under pressure (reminded me of an underage match).
Vernon brought fantastic intensity to the game, some great clashes with Bastic. Donaghy was excellent.
Nippy was superb.

He can get lenght in them but they hang up.  Hearty can be erratic too but he drives his kicks more than hanging them and that makes a difference.  McEvoy is a good keeper but doesn't inspire confidence, he doesn't command his back line and could have saved both goals.  he did pull off one good save but it was also a tad fortunate.  I would give the McCullough lad his turn in the next game to see what he is made of.

What ever happened Paudi Rodgers?  He was looking like a good keeper a few years ago

Dreadful kickouts. Even Benny Tierney would've been embarrassed by the length of them.

mackers

Hearty's kickouts are good until he tries to spread them out to the wings, you're basically guaranteed 2/3 a match to go over the sideline. He had a great year last year and certainly wouldn't have fudged his lines for the second goal on Saturday evening.
I can see where Dyas divides opinions but I would bear with him, he's starting to show what he can do in patches over the last few games, I wouldn't judge him on any performances before that as he clearly wasn't fit.
Not convinced by Paul Kernan at all and as BC1 says he has to be in a central position,if Donaghy and McKeever stay fit the centre of our defence is just fine.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

heffo

bennydorano

Paul Kernan got dropped last summer, doubt he'll make the championship cut.

Apple Crumble

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 07, 2011, 12:31:22 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 07, 2011, 12:25:59 PM

Hearty

AK  McKeever  Duffy

Vernon  Toner

Dyas  R Clarke  Padden

Stevie  Nippy Jamie

Paul will make the cut as will Morgan.  PK is not a corner back.  He is the type of player needs to play centrally so I can't see him playing in the corner. 

Quote from: illdecide on February 07, 2011, 12:09:35 PM

Dyas does a lot of work that goes unnoticed.  I reckon he would be a very useful wing forward as he is good at foraging and can work very hard.  Also he can work as a cover for either AK or Paul Duffy, giving them more licence to attack.

Have to agree about Dyas.  Hope he shows us the potential he had a few years ago.

bennydorano

What ever happened the Dublin player Davoran??, break a leg or something? No sign of a return?  Think he gave Cross an awful time of it in a club game a few years back

heffo

Quote from: bennydorano on February 07, 2011, 03:43:22 PM
What ever happened the Dublin player Davoran??, break a leg or something? No sign of a return?  Think he gave Cross an awful time of it in a club game a few years back

Did his cruciate on his championship debut v Meath two years ago - he was back running and light training for Crokes late spring last year and came on for the last ten minutes of a challenge game and did it again the first time he turned for a ball.

He'll hopefully be back playing club football before the summer.

Joxer

Who is with O'Rourke in the Armagh managment team.  Murtagh and McGurn I know but unless my eyes were deceiving me I swore there was a thrid man out on the sideline.  I couldnt get a good look from where I was sitting?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Joxer on February 07, 2011, 04:07:16 PM
Who is with O'Rourke in the Armagh managment team.  Murtagh and McGurn I know but unless my eyes were deceiving me I swore there was a thrid man out on the sideline.  I couldnt get a good look from where I was sitting?

Maybe Sean O'Hare from Burren, I think he is involved somehow.  I know he is definitely involved in coaching at some level.