Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on February 04, 2011, 10:42:52 AM
Quote from: Aghdavoyle on February 04, 2011, 10:36:55 AM
Is Murray the hairy boy that was full back against Meath?
Thats the fella - he's not a full back - with the two O'Carrolls & Paul Brogan unavailable he's just a square peg there for the moment
v intelligent lad and will do a decent job for you anywhere he is put (apart from maybe scoring forward - though he could chip in with the odd score). But decent is not good enough at intercounty level.
not a defender imo. Bridgids caused themselves and murray by playing there starting off a couple of seasons ago.
best position is midfield or better again third midfield with his engine and readong of the game meaning he always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
Dito with Lally. wing half forward where he should be. DCU played him half back and ever since then he thinks he is a back.
can do a good job there, but can do a superb job from wing forward !

not fussed on the corner backs to be honest.

Goats Do Shave

Wasn't it Bastik that broke Charlie's jaw in Ballycrummy a couple of years ago?

Could be interesting...

BerfArmagh

looking forward tomorrow nights game. Quite like the look of the forward unit. Good luck lads

heffo

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 04, 2011, 11:46:32 AM

Could be interesting...

It was indeed - I wouldn't like to be the fella looking for retribution from Bastick though.

It was a hospital ball that Bastick was perfectly entitled to go for on the day.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: heffo on February 04, 2011, 12:04:41 PM

Could be interesting...

It was indeed - I wouldn't like to be the fella looking for retribution from Bastick though.

It was a hospital ball that Bastick was perfectly entitled to go for on the day.

I don't think Charlie is the type to be honest.
I don't recall it as you see it though. It's a pity there's no video evidence, i was standing 10 yards from it... he meant to hurt him all right!

heffo

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 04, 2011, 12:08:02 PM

Could be interesting...

I don't recall it as you see it though. It's a pity there's no video evidence, i was standing 10 yards from it... he meant to hurt him all right!

Sure we all have different interpretations of it, but I remember most of the Armagh posters here who were at the game said it didn't look deliberate.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: heffo on February 04, 2011, 12:11:59 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 04, 2011, 12:08:02 PM

Could be interesting...

Sure we all have different interpretations of it, but I remember most of the Armagh posters here who were at the game said it didn't look deliberate.

To be fair it was a hospital ball and Bastik had every right to go for it, just one of tose collisions that happen.

illdecide

Dubs looks strong in attack but also look to be under srtength in defence, i actually think Armagh will beat Dublin by 2pts
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

The result will depend on how well our defence can hold a lively looking Dublin attack. There are fitness concerns over some of our main defenders so the jury is out on how well we will cope.
Hopefully Padden and Vernon can get a bit of ball and create space for Grugan to ping a few passes into Stevie and Nippy. I presume B Mallon will come out the field and put in his usual shift.
Our midfielders will have to improve on their McKenna Cup performances (albeit that Toner was playing at FB) to contain Macauley who was a real star last year. I've never been overly impressed by Bastick so there may be a chink of light for us in midfield.
Weather forecast is good................really looking forward to it.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

mrgaa1

In advance of this game I think it can be safely said that Armagh are looking forward to hosting Dublin - their team and fans. 
For those supporters travelling from Dublin my advice would be that there are two main ways into the city.
You can travel up via Newry and down to Armagh but you'd be going near Newry around 5pm(ish) and lots of traffic.
My advice would be to get off at Ardee and head for Carrickmacross, Castleblayney, Keady and then Armagh.  When you come into Armagh, and I'll assume you'll be up early, from the Keady side the new Athletic Grounds will be on your left past McAnerneys supermarket.  If you can turn around and park back out the road you came in on if your planning on heading back down the road.
For food etc... the Hotel does decent food and is about a 4-5 minute lazy walk to the pitch.  There are great pubs nearby and you will all be made very welcome.
If sight seeing - the two Cathedrals are easily accessible as well as Navan Fort which are all signposted. 
Euro is accepted very easily (notes in particular) and the rate is usually displayed.
Shopping for the ladies - basically don't bother - there is f*ck all in Armagh.  Some good sport shops and coffee houses but thats it.
From what I can gather there will be loads of stewards about, the Artane Boys Band will be there as well as dignataries.
And as much as we hope to make you all welcome we don't want to give you two points so you'll pardon us if we don't hand them over too easily.  Gates are to open from 6:30pm but I'd guess it'll be a little earlier.
Safe driving down as it is a great road all the way down until you come across the border as the road network is slightly behind.

armaghniac

QuoteYou can travel up via Newry and down to Armagh but you'd be going near Newry around 5pm(ish) and lots of traffic.

That said the new improved Newry bypass is a good improvement in this regard.

QuoteIf sight seeing - the two Cathedrals are easily accessible as well as Navan Fort which are all signposted. 

Armagh city is one place where sightseeing is capable of filling most of day and as the song says it contains the bones of Brian Boru, assassinated by a previous generation of Dubliners. 

QuoteSafe driving down as it is a great road all the way down until you come across the border as the road network is slightly behind.

And be sure to have the white diesel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heffo

Quote from: mrgaa1 on February 04, 2011, 03:24:39 PM
In advance of this game I think it can be safely said that Armagh are looking forward to hosting Dublin - their team and fans. 
For those supporters travelling from Dublin my advice would be that there are two main ways into the city.
You can travel up via Newry and down to Armagh but you'd be going near Newry around 5pm(ish) and lots of traffic.
My advice would be to get off at Ardee and head for Carrickmacross, Castleblayney, Keady and then Armagh.  When you come into Armagh, and I'll assume you'll be up early, from the Keady side the new Athletic Grounds will be on your left past McAnerneys supermarket.  If you can turn around and park back out the road you came in on if your planning on heading back down the road.
For food etc... the Hotel does decent food and is about a 4-5 minute lazy walk to the pitch.  There are great pubs nearby and you will all be made very welcome.
If sight seeing - the two Cathedrals are easily accessible as well as Navan Fort which are all signposted. 
Euro is accepted very easily (notes in particular) and the rate is usually displayed.
Shopping for the ladies - basically don't bother - there is f*ck all in Armagh.  Some good sport shops and coffee houses but thats it.
From what I can gather there will be loads of stewards about, the Artane Boys Band will be there as well as dignataries.
And as much as we hope to make you all welcome we don't want to give you two points so you'll pardon us if we don't hand them over too easily.  Gates are to open from 6:30pm but I'd guess it'll be a little earlier.
Safe driving down as it is a great road all the way down until you come across the border as the road network is slightly behind.

Thanks for the pointers.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: mrgaa1 on February 04, 2011, 03:24:39 PM

You are obviously not long out of Ardee if thats how you would go from Dublin to Armagh.

The direct route is the best. Dublin-Newry-Armagh.  You wont have any hold ups on the new section of the Newry bypass.

You could also go Dublin-Dundalk-Newtownhamilton-Armagh, but the Dundalk-Armagh Road isn't great. I would stick to the main roads.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

el_cuervo_fc

Stick to the main roads surely. With the new by pass you don't even have to go into Newry. Dublin-Newry- Armagh.

Looking forward to this game tomorrow. Hopefully this wind calms down a bit though.

whitegoodman

Would that be armagh best team outside of the 2 clarkes and A Kernan and hearty.  Who would the outfield players come in for, martin, lavery,padden and mallon???