The Fighting Irish of Bondi Junction

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 18, 2011, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

tommysmith

Sounds like a c0ck and bull story to me.

Big Puff

No real problem. this pub was grand when i was out there.

Some sunday sessions in it!

The other pub they refer to in bondi junctions in the tea gardens.

stephenite

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 18, 2011, 06:18:54 PM
Never stayed there during my time in Oz. When I visited Bondi, I didn't think there was much special about the place other than a half decent beach.

You're right, there is nothing special about Bondi, in fact it's a fckuing kip unless you can get there at 7:30am and enjoy the half decent beach in peace and quiet

DownFanatic

Bondi is a hole. Stayed in a grip of a hostel there with a fat German man in the bunk above me who had a penchant for yankin' himself off in the middle of the night.

The Tea Gardens at the Junction was a big beer spot and full of Irish. Only stayed in the area for a few days. Didn't do anything for me.

Galwaybhoy

In my time in Sydney I only went out in Bondi one night.  I have a good few friends living there and we were at theTea Gardens and theres not much to be said about it.  Thankfully the other nights out were around the city itself which were much better.  The reputation of the place is well known.  I think it would be the last place I would move to.  I was shocked when I found out I had seen more in my first three days in Sydney than they had in over a year.  Don't see the attraction of that sort of life.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 18, 2011, 11:38:17 PM
In my time in Sydney I only went out in Bondi one night.  I have a good few friends living there and we were at theTea Gardens and theres not much to be said about it.  Thankfully the other nights out were around the city itself which were much better.  The reputation of the place is well known.  I think it would be the last place I would move to.  I was shocked when I found out I had seen more in my first three days in Sydney than they had in over a year.  Don't see the attraction of that sort of life.

Some things never change, it was the same in NYC back in the 80's, lads stuck in Irish bars, living in Irish neighborhoods never checking out the city itself, never mixing with Americans. Its a rut immigrants can get into so easily.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AlriteHorse

Bondi Junction is a total dump. Tea Gardens is just a total c*ckfest. Got stuck in Bondi for 6 months due to blowing all my cash in SE Asia / S America and not having the cash to get outta Sydney.

c**k & Bull actually isn't that bad for a nights craic but the bouncers there are complete twats. (Unfortunately, the same goes for a large majority of bouncers over here. Not even gonna start with The Courthouse!)

That ACA show is complete tripe as well. They have 3 stories on every night....usually on new diets, fashion / trends, scams, big corporation scandals etc. Obviously they're gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel sometimes and as far as I can see, this story is one of barrell bottoms. How often do they repeat the same clip of nothing more than handbags? Doesn't even show one slap!!!
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

ballinaman

Can't stand the place! I avoid it at all costs to be honest, the majority of irish there...not all it may be said are there for a year long J1 in Australia basically. You'd meet them out and you'd soon realise why there are here in the first place.

edit: fantastic women on the beach though... :D

nrico2006

A few friends of mine moved there a few years ago and they seem to go nowhere but the Tea Gardens, and everyone they seem to run about with is from here.  Shows how small a world it is when I was on Facebook the other night looking at a mate's pictures from over there, and I noticed a doll in them that I knew.  She is from Castlefin and he is from outside Castlewellan, and they wouldn't have known each other from before going out there and probably don't realise that I know them both.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Galwaybhoy

I'm not surprised nrico.  When you take into the account the amount of Irish in Bondi and the fact they drink in the same pubs.  One night we were in Scruffy Murphys and this lad was interested in a friend of mine so I got chatting to him and asked him where he was staying and what he was working at.  When his answer was Bondi I asked him did he know a very good friend of mine and he was shocked when I knew him!  But its really no suprise when thats where a good percentage of the Irish in Sydney decide to live and spend most of their time drinking.

Does anyone know of the Clare Bar in Sydney?  Its not an Irish pub despite the name.  Its about a 5-10 minute walk from The Wake Up hostel.  One of the biggest shit holes I was ever in.  My girlfriend and myself went in there for a drink our first night in Sydney and it was an awful dirty area.  The barman put chairs across one area to stop people from sitting there.  I wondered why he did this and on closer inspection I could see someone had gotten sick and instead of cleaning it up they just blocked the area off and left it there!

Sydney is a great city.  We only had over two weeks there before we moved on so we had to try to see everything in such a short time.  But I couldn't understand why so many people could move to Sydney and never bother to take in the sites during their time there.

nrico2006

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 19, 2011, 10:20:42 AM
I'm not surprised nrico.  When you take into the account the amount of Irish in Bondi and the fact they drink in the same pubs.  One night we were in Scruffy Murphys and this lad was interested in a friend of mine so I got chatting to him and asked him where he was staying and what he was working at.  When his answer was Bondi I asked him did he know a very good friend of mine and he was shocked when I knew him!  But its really no suprise when thats where a good percentage of the Irish in Sydney decide to live and spend most of their time drinking.

Does anyone know of the Clare Bar in Sydney?  Its not an Irish pub despite the name.  Its about a 5-10 minute walk from The Wake Up hostel.  One of the biggest shit holes I was ever in.  My girlfriend and myself went in there for a drink our first night in Sydney and it was an awful dirty area.  The barman put chairs across one area to stop people from sitting there.  I wondered why he did this and on closer inspection I could see someone had gotten sick and instead of cleaning it up they just blocked the area off and left it there!

Sydney is a great city.  We only had over two weeks there before we moved on so we had to try to see everything in such a short time.  But I couldn't understand why so many people could move to Sydney and never bother to take in the sites during their time there.

The same fella from Castlewellan decided to phone me one night about 1am our time, and he was in Perth at the time.  He said he was in a casiono (could barely understand him as he was wrote off) and that the barman knew me, so he puts the barman on the phone and its a fella from down the street at home who was our club hurling keeper. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 19, 2011, 10:20:42 AM

Out near Redfern that Clare bar, am I right?

That ACA show is a load of tripe though. Typical Aussie shit.

Galwaybhoy

http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/venue/bar/the-clare-hotel.aspx

Thats it there.  Got an OK review here but to me it was a hole.  From the outside especially it looked like a run down kip.  Infact if the doors weren't open I would have thought the place was shut down.