Where would you like to visit? But probably won't

Started by armaghniac, January 15, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

#105
Have never been to Milford Sound but looking at the pictures it looks similar to the Norwegian fjords & I agree the Grand Canyon is unique, though make sure you don't do the skywalk tour as looking at the pictures/videos it's a poor view.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

illdecide

My next door neighbour's knickers

On a serious side it would prob be New Zealand and a few of the South American countries...

For some reason the Asian countries do not appeal to me at all
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Goldengreen

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2011, 09:05:35 PM
Anywhere where I can see the Northern Lights in the depths of winter. Been planning it for about ten years and am no further along than the day I started.

I am sure I heard that the northern lights will be seen as far south as Rome in 2012, so find some dark wee spot up the north and you should have a good view of them.

muppet

Quote from: Goldengreen on January 17, 2011, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2011, 09:05:35 PM
Anywhere where I can see the Northern Lights in the depths of winter. Been planning it for about ten years and am no further along than the day I started.

I am sure I heard that the northern lights will be seen as far south as Rome in 2012, so find some dark wee spot up the north and you should have a good view of them.

http://mediacentre.canada.travel/content/travel_story_ideas/aurora_2012

To catch this brilliant swirl of shimmering colours in the night sky, head north—to Canada.
by Suzanne Morphet 6 November 2009

Have you seen the Northern Lights? I mean really seen them, in all their glory as they swirl over the night sky, colouring it red, green and purple?

If you're guilty of putting off that trip north—maybe spending time outdoors in minus 40 degrees C (-40 degrees F) isn't your idea of fun!—don't wait much longer. Beginning about 2012, the aurora borealis will be at its best in a long time.

The lights will be more brilliant, more frequent, more amazing than any time in the last decade—maybe even the last century.

Why? The short answer is "solar maximum." Sounds scientific, and it is, but the simple explanation is that between 2012 and 2013, the sun will be going through an intense period of activity, producing lots of charged particles. When these hit the earth's atmosphere, look out! Or rather, look up. If you're in the right place, you'll see a fantastic show of lights.

And, where's the right place?  Yellowknife, NWT, for a couple reasons. It's at 62 degrees latitude, and if you know anything about the earth's magnetic field, you know that 62 degrees is directly under a dominant magnetic line. Plus, Yellowknife skies are usually clear, with no clouds impeding your view.

Rent a parka, drive a dog team (or snowmobile) away from the city lights. Or visit Aurora Village and stay warm in a traditional tipi.

Yes, it can be mighty cold up there, but the night sky is sizzling hot.

MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Schofield on January 17, 2011, 12:58:42 AM
Just to turn the topic on its head, Place i probably will visit but don't really want to. Herself is dying to go to las vegas but for some reason i can't think of anything worse. Not sure why i've such a dislikefor a place. If anyone can convince me otherwise i intend to propose soon and the honeymoon will be a hot topic

I was there on honeymoon,I'd like to tell you more but it might sound like boasting
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2011, 11:46:04 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 16, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
Reading through this thread I just realised that I`ve never been to the Giants Causeway. Is it worth the drive or is it as drab as it looks on TV?

Balls.

Not worth the drive then?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

flantheman82

We've been to the pyramids. Pyramids like the museum are spectacular but kinda let down by Cairo itself.
On the list for want to go places:
Ayres Rock
Grand canyon
Machu picchu
Any part of the great wall of china

stephenite

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 17, 2011, 11:38:02 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2011, 11:46:04 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 16, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
Reading through this thread I just realised that I`ve never been to the Giants Causeway. Is it worth the drive or is it as drab as it looks on TV?

Balls.

Not worth the drive then?

No, It's rubbish. The missus wanted to take a look a couple of years back so we drove up from Belfast for a look, it would have been the biggest waste of a day ever only we drove back along the coast road and that was very impressive. Drive the coast road and don't bother yourselves going down to see a few 'oul rocks

Puckoon

I've never been to Scotland or Wales, and there are a bunch of places in Ireland I've yet to see, and with living abroad and the time it takes to see all the family and friends when you get home - I doubt I'll get to see them all.


All of a Sludden

Quote from: Puckoon on January 17, 2011, 11:49:48 PM
I've never been to Scotland or Wales, and there are a bunch of places in Ireland I've yet to see, and with living abroad and the time it takes to see all the family and friends when you get home - I doubt I'll get to see them all.

I`ve always liked Scotland, even more so if you avoid Glasgow, especially at the weekends. The Highlands are beautiful, fantastic scenery, lovely people, its very like the west of Ireland.

Wales on the other hand. Avoid. Downtrodden little Englanders. Dont go there, especially Holyhead.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ziggysego

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 17, 2011, 11:09:48 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 17, 2011, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: Schofield on January 17, 2011, 12:58:42 AM
Just to turn the topic on its head, Place i probably will visit but don't really want to. Herself is dying to go to las vegas but for some reason i can't think of anything worse. Not sure why i've such a dislikefor a place. If anyone can convince me otherwise i intend to propose soon and the honeymoon will be a hot topic

I was there on honeymoon,I'd like to tell you more but it might sound like boasting

Ach go ahead and tell the fella more. After all since Christmas you've told us that you've been to Australia New Zealand, Egypt, and the USA,  you spend hundreds on camera lenses, you've a Ping G15 golf driver, you've played Portmarnock and Druids Glen golf courses and you're getting a 3D telly. Sure after all that one more little boast is neither here nor there.

Since he can afford all that, he must have did alright in Vegas.
Testing Accessibility

ross4life

When i did the Causeway it was one of those bus tours things that included Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge & a tour of the Bushmills distillery.

Agree Holyhead is a awful place though the scenery around Anglesey is perhaps the best in Wales
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on January 18, 2011, 12:20:54 AM
When i did the Causeway it was one of those bus tours things that included Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge & a tour of the Bushmills distillery.

Agree Holyhead is a awful place though the scenery around Anglesey is perhaps the best in Wales
Is that not like judging France on Calais or Scotland on Stranraer?

ross4life

Wouldn't judge Wales on just Holyhead, just agreeing it's not the best of towns.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open