Laptops and printers

Started by winsamsoon, January 10, 2011, 02:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Lads/ladettes, I have a limited knowledge of computers . I am looking to purchase a printer for my laptop but when I go online I am getting the computer jargon which goes over my head. Anyone out there know are there and specific requirements needed for a laptop printer? Can any printer be loaded onto a laptop and work ? Does it have to be wireless? Any suggestions or recommendations would help
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

armaghniac

Any printer will plug into the laptop if you have a cable and it has a USB port. Wireless is just handy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tyrones own

Quote from: armaghniac on January 10, 2011, 02:48:29 AM
Any printer will plug into the laptop if you have a cable and it has a USB port. Wireless is just handy.

True but one of the benefits of a laptop being the freedom of cables... wireless is the way to go
and Epson would be my recommendation, the rest have gone fair cheap in terms of quality imo  :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Lar Naparka

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 10, 2011, 02:04:51 AM
Lads/ladettes, I have a limited knowledge of computers . I am looking to purchase a printer for my laptop but when I go online I am getting the computer jargon which goes over my head. Anyone out there know are there and specific requirements needed for a laptop printer? Can any printer be loaded onto a laptop and work ? Does it have to be wireless? Any suggestions or recommendations would help

Connectivity is an issue alright but there are a number of others you should bear in mind. Fitness for purpose is one of those. In other words, what do you plan to do with it?
Is it a case of general printing or do you plan to produce mainly high quality photographic work? I guess you don't plan on high volume output like multiple copies of reports, circulars etc-a business printer.
I do a fair amount of inkjet printing and  some laser work too. (Raffle tickets for the local GAA club ands also for an oul' fellas' pitch & putt club and the likes.)
I'd be inclined to go with Epson for photographic work but it will cost a bomb if you follow the manufacturer's instructions to buy their recommended ink and paper only. BTTW, all of them will say the say thing. B*ll*x to the lot of them!
Canon are good for all around work and HP do good business printers.
I'd look for one with separate ink tanks- far cheaper to run. You could wind up buying a printer for less than you would pay for a new set of inks and I am being serious here.
My advice would be to fix on some printer and then go to EBay. Type you model in and search for compatible cartridges eg "Canon MP550 compatible cartridges"
You could also search for compatible in . Take a look at a few of what comes up and see if they are readily available and what the situation is about cartridges being chipped and such issues.
It's advisable to make sure you can get a supply of their party high class ink tanks for your printer and don't go by buying price alone. Cheaper the printer-dearer the recommended ink is a good rule of thumb. Third party or generic brands I have used and found good are fotorite, print-rite and colortec.
One supplier, hornseainkjets does very god deals on Epson inks. You'd be talking less than 20% of the price of original carts and damn the difference in quality.
I'd probably go with a multifunction machine unless you just need a straightforward printer- you should get one that scans and  photocopies at least.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

winsamsoon

Thanks lads I'll bear this in mind
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The Real Laoislad

Anyone recommend a good printer for printing photos? I'm not talking about the small ones that print the normal size photos I'm more looking for a A4 size or bigger.
Looking for something of high quality and cheapish to run regarding the ink and paper.
Have heard Canon ones not so good but Epson very good?
Will only be using it for photos as I have a decent one for normal printing.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tyrones own

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 04:16:01 PM
Anyone recommend a good printer for printing photos? I'm not talking about the small ones that print the normal size photos I'm more looking for a A4 size or bigger.
Looking for something of high quality and cheapish to run regarding the ink and paper.
I'm currently looking in to picking one of these bad boys up...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/119873/first_look_epsons_big_beautiful_photo_printer.html
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Why would you bother? The cost of home printing must be hugely expensive compared to online printing services.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2011, 08:12:32 PM
Why would you bother? The cost of home printing must be hugely expensive compared to online printing services.

Have you any good websites that do it?
As I get more and more in photography I wouldn't mind printing and framing some of my pics
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 08:24:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2011, 08:12:32 PM

Have you any good websites that do it?
As I get more and more in photography I wouldn't mind printing and framing some of my pics

My oul boy is into it in a big way. He reckons the best paper for printing is "photo rag". If that makes any sense to you !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Got one of those Kodak ESP 5200 all in one printers. Had it set up on the wireless network and was working fine for a few months but now it just wont print. It's still connected to the network and has plenty of ink and paper. but for some reason it cancels any time I try to print something. even a notepad document. It can print test pages no problem but for some reason it wont print anything sent from the computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016