Hurling in the US army

Started by Hardy, January 03, 2011, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Documentary on hurling  in the US military (interest generated by soldiers seeing hurling on TV while passing trough Shannon) streaming live starting now (12:30) on http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hardy

Very interesting, though it's a pity they didn't show some footage of a big game in a full Croke Park. That channel has an audience of 30 million. It's great to see the respect for the game and the impression it can make, even though though you'd be sceptical about the soldier-boy hokum these lads bring to it. I don't know whether it'd be good or bad for the game if it became popular in the US army. You'd be worried about what they might do to it.

I understand today's programme will be available soon as a podcast on www.pentagonchannel.mil .

Here's a "report" (the presenter's style is something else) from gaelicsportscast.com about it, featuring a coaching session by Fraggy Murphy.
http://www.gaelicsportscast.com/2010/12/30/179-us-soldiers-take-hurling-into-30-million-homes/

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2011, 01:58:16 PM
How did you find that Hardy?

I heard it mentioned on the sports news on RTE radio the other day and they gave the URL. I meant to post here about it in advance but forgot until the alarm I set to remind me to watch it went off today.

Eamonnca1

laoisgaa

Don't think the programme is streaming at that link though?

andoireabu

you can see it on the link Hardy put up in the first post.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

laoisgaa

What is the name of the programme

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on January 03, 2011, 01:11:43 PM
It's great to see the respect for the game and the impression it can make, even though though you'd be sceptical about the soldier-boy hokum these lads bring to it. I don't know whether it'd be good or bad for the game if it became popular in the US army. You'd be worried about what they might do to it.

Bit of an odd thing to say. These lads have a lot of respect for the game and its traditions, something that I find is common in American-born players.

andoireabu

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 03, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
What is the name of the programme
Recon: two fields one team.

Under the streaming bit there is a list of videos. Its top of the list on the right.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on January 03, 2011, 01:11:43 PM
Very interesting, though it's a pity they didn't show some footage of a big game in a full Croke Park. That channel has an audience of 30 million. It's great to see the respect for the game and the impression it can make, even though though you'd be sceptical about the soldier-boy hokum these lads bring to it. I don't know whether it'd be good or bad for the game if it became popular in the US army. You'd be worried about what they might do to it.

Was waiting on footage from Croker too. It was a brilliant idea.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2011, 01:58:16 PM
How did you find that Hardy?
Some of you boys must never check out the hurling forum at all.  Ash Smoker (i think) posted about this the other day - he didn't post the link though, fair play for that Hardy.

Isn't there another side around Wisconsin or somewhere who started playing off their bat (pardon the pun) too?

Found something on the milwaulkee hurling club:

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/hurlingcal.html?viewall=1

Banana Man

it's on page 3 of the irish news today...