GPA Team of The Year

Started by blanketattack, November 04, 2010, 12:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

2010 Opel Gaelic Team of the Year for Football

1 Brendan McVeigh (Down)

2 Charlie Harrison (Sligo), 3 Michael Shields (Cork), 4 Philly McMahon (Dublin)

5 Kevin McKernan (Down), 6 Emmet Bolton (Kildare), 7 Paudie Kissane (Cork)

8 Paddy Keenan (Louth), 9 John Galvin (Limerick)

10 Daniel Hughes (Down), 11 Martin Clarke (Down), 12 John Doyle (Kildare)

13 Daniel Goulding (Cork), 14 Benny Coulter (Down), 15 Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

BerfArmagh

No major problems with that team, though i'd have the gooch in there somewhere if I could. And Philly Jordan is a shoe in for CHB

J OGorman

daftish question, but does one have to be a member of the GPA to be selected? any idea what percentage of county footballers are members of the GPA?

cornafean

Quote from: J OGorman on November 04, 2010, 01:18:05 PM
daftish question, but does one have to be a member of the GPA to be selected?

Philip Jordan apparently resigned from the GPA some years ago so that might explain his omission from the team.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

George Foreman

Who picks this team? This is the real Allstar team anyway, clearly picked by real football men instead of Adrian Logan and Eamon O'Hara.  I'm sure it was debated to death on the Allstars thread but I didn't read it, but how Kevin McKernan didn't get an Allstar is so far beyond me.

rrhf

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: rrhf on November 04, 2010, 02:16:46 PM
Who won the car?
Not decided yet.

Brogan, Coulter and Doyle are the nominations

rrhf

1 Brendan McVeigh (Down)

Down 5
Dublin 2
Cork 3 at this stage Cork must be wondering how they managed to win the league and all ireland 
Kildare 2
Louth 1
Limerick 1
Sligo 1
Philip Jordan was the best half back in Ireland this year for most of the year and for the rest of the year Kevin Mc Kiernan was so fair enough on Mc Kiernans part.   But Jordans not a GPA man so we must judge these awards on what they are. As for the omission of Gooch I dont think hes a GPA man either so he wouldnt qualify for the car draw.   Did they not take a car or an award off Pauric Joyce one time because he wasnt a GPA man or is that an old wives tale?   How many games of Louths Lomericks and Sligos did the judges actually see?

Croí na hÉireann

IIRC the GPA nominations are selected by a committee and 3 players for every position are selected. The winners are selected by the players themselves, based on most votes received I presume. Phillip Jordan was nominated for left half back, which was won by Paudie Kissane, so whether he is or is not a member of the GPA would seem to be irrelevant. The Gooch was also nominated in Daniel Goulding's position and there was an issue a couple of years ago where he endorsed Lucozade Sport whereas the GPA were endorsing Club Energise. So membership/past indiscretions wouldn't appear to have any influence on getting nominated anyway...

Not a bad team, was surprised to see Philly McMahon make it until I saw who he was up against, John O'Brien (Louth) and Eoin Cadogan (Cork).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: rrhf on November 04, 2010, 02:36:57 PM

1 Brendan McVeigh (Down)

Down 5
Dublin 2
Cork 3 at this stage Cork must be wondering how they managed to win the league and all ireland 
Kildare 2
Louth 1
Limerick 1
Sligo 1
Philip Jordan was the best half back in Ireland this year for most of the year and for the rest of the year Kevin Mc Kiernan was so fair enough on Mc Kiernans part.   But Jordans not a GPA man so we must judge these awards on what they are. As for the omission of Gooch I dont think hes a GPA man either so he wouldnt qualify for the car draw.   Did they not take a car or an award off Pauric Joyce one time because he wasnt a GPA man or is that an old wives tale?   How many games of Louths Lomericks and Sligos did the judges actually see?
They definitly didnt see our Down game anyway becuase if they did we'd have no one on the team. Congrats to Charlie again, not our best defender but easier on the eye than donovan for those forward runs.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

bcarrier

Aaron Boone

No provincial winners on it at all. Something not right about that in my book.

imtommygunn

A fair enough team to be honest.

The only one I don't think should be on it is Kissane. To be honest I don't think he's in the best three half back in Cork. However with Cork's lack of "stars" I think there would be some element of accomodating him here. Jordan IMO best wing half back this year and second only over last 10 years to Tomas O'Se. (who to be honest is one of the better wing half backs to have played the game)

Would maybe have Gooch just ahead of Goulding but can see the argument's for Goulding too. I think Goulding this year was nowhere near as good as last year.

Leo

Your opinion is as important as my opinion, i.e. not at all.
This is the players' selection
About 15 years ago  - when Powerscreen sponsored the GAA all-stars -  they introduced a players' vote and were roundly boycotted by the press who usually dominate these things.
The hacks had omitted Brian Whelehan (Hurler of the Year 1994 !!!) from their team the previous year....
Powerscreen (  Dungannon company) were ahead of the game, typical Tyrone!
I have the two posters form the 1995 & 1996 Powescreen all-stars voted by the players - something to be treasured and more important than your opinion or mine.
Well done to the GPA winners this year. Especially Galvin - immense.
Fierce tame altogether