Ringland quits UUP over stance on GAA

Started by Eamonnca1, October 05, 2010, 02:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: King Henry on October 07, 2010, 08:07:48 AM
Quote from: Onlooker on October 06, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
I have always regarded "Hurling only" snobs from Kilkenny as sad people and as far removed from real GAA supporters that you can get.  I wonder does King Henry regard himself as a GAA man at all.

I am dedicated to my club and county,I would say I am more heavily involved in Gaa than you are,just because I am dedicated to hurling and have no real interest in Gaelic Football doesn't make me less of a Gaa man than you or anyone else,I would guess there are people who are the same as me but prefer Gaelic Football to Hurling,and good for them.

Also I have won 2 minor All Ireland winners medals,1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal and 2 Club All Ireland winners medals.. (also numerous Leinster titles in hurling both club and county at various age groups)

What have you won?
So your contribution is measured by the number of medals you win?

You might be a decent player, but that doesn't make you more of a GAA man than someone with no medals. Had you been born into another county, you might have nothing to show for your skills. Would you then be less of a GAA man?

Onlooker

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 07, 2010, 08:45:59 AM
I have always regarded "Hurling only" snobs from Kilkenny as sad people and as far removed from real GAA supporters that you can get.  I wonder does King Henry regard himself as a GAA man at all.
They are a bit like the football only snobs on this site!! Both games should be promoted and played equally, we are fortunate to have the two best field sports in the world....loosen up and enjoy. :)
I agree with you 100%.  Those of us who follow and enjoy both games get twice the enjoyment out of the games.  My point was that some hurling people like King Henry enjoy knocking football at every opportunity.  It is much rarer to hear football people knocking hurling.  Of course, both games should promoted and played equally.  That is my only problem with Kilkenny.

brokencrossbar1

I am dedicated to my club and county,I would say I am more heavily involved in Gaa than you are,just because I am dedicated to hurling and have no real interest in Gaelic Football doesn't make me less of a Gaa man than you or anyone else,I would guess there are people who are the same as me but prefer Gaelic Football to Hurling,and good for them.

Also I have won 2 minor All Ireland winners medals,1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal and 2 Club All Ireland winners medals.. (also numerous Leinster titles in hurling both club and county at various age groups)

What have you won?

No harm to you King Henry but your "idol" would not be too impressed with you attitude.  Medals do not maketh the Gael, nor do they maketh the man.  I have always been a "football" man but have always encouraged my son to play hurling and would expect every person to do the same if they believed in our assocaition.  You do not have to like it but you should respect it.  You may have shown great commitment to win your medals but no more so than many others do on a regular basis. 

armaghniac

QuoteAlso I have won 2 minor All Ireland winners medals,1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal and 2 Club All Ireland winners medals.. (also numerous Leinster titles in hurling both club and county at various age groups)

What have you won?

And BC1 is being modest, he has a few medals himself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 06, 2010, 12:10:57 AM
Individual/personal steps:
Read a newspaper from the other side for a day/week
We may criticise the leader of the UUP but how many of his counterparts would be willing to take any of these small steps and how many of our posters would take some of these small steps?  Or would we all prefer to scoff at them?

Mlkman delivers the news letter to homet (for the farming life pull-out), i'd always take a look, it'd make you more bitter however, not less!!  ;)

Bogball XV

What have you won?
the funny thing is that if he were from anywhere else we could probably narrow him down to one or two individuals ;D ;D

brokencrossbar1

That ironic thing about King Henry is that Ballyhale were actually a strong dual club back at the start of the 1980's and won several Kilkenny senior football championships along with the first of their hurling championships.  Maybe he should be trumpeting that rather than taking the moral high ground.

Banana Man

Bogball is right, the sad reality is that if it was any other county we would have a fair shot at finding out who he is!

Milltown Row2

What have you won?

You say you have an 1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal, are senior clubs in Kilkenny allowed to have players that can play in that grade?

my first sport is hurling but have played all grades for my club and all codes including handball while at school.

Henry stop talking shite please, your the first Kilkenny man to enter this board and your becoming a WUM
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

King Henry

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 07, 2010, 08:51:41 AM

What have you won?

You might be a decent player, but that doesn't make you more of a GAA man than someone with no medals. Had you been born into another county, you might have nothing to show for your skills. Would you then be less of a GAA man?

No of course not and that is not what I meant,but an accusation was made that I wouldn't consider myself a Gaa man which I responded too,the amount of medals I have was only enforcing the point maybe I should have left it out,as of course it doesn't matter how many you have but I didn't like what Onlooker said.
I'll think of Molly while sun and moon shine
On the banks of the Suir that flows down by Mooncoin

muppet

Quote from: King Henry on October 07, 2010, 04:46:40 PM

What have you won?

No of course not and that is not what I meant,but an accusation was made that I wouldn't consider myself a Gaa man which I responded too,the amount of medals I have was only enforcing the point maybe I should have left it out,as of course it doesn't matter how many you have but I didn't like what Onlooker said.

Kevin Moran is a bigger Gaa man than you. He trumps you with his Senior All-Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: snoopdog on October 05, 2010, 09:20:28 PM
If both sides were as accomodating as Mr Ringland it would be a far better place. The GAA are doing a lot of work in trying to get unionism away from the view that it was once a recruiting ground for the
ira, in my opinion it never was.
But attitudes need to change and if changing names of grounds from Republican names is required then so be it.
Obviously we should not forget our past but a peaceful future and a sporting organisation for all would be a better legacy for the communities of the north and our children.
it will take years for unionism to get away from the bitterness it holds towards Nationalist people and their heritage.

WTF?  In your opinion it never was?
We all know for a fact it wasnt!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 07, 2010, 04:33:36 PM

What have you won?

You say you have an 1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal, are senior clubs in Kilkenny allowed to have players that can play in that grade?

my first sport is hurling but have played all grades for my club and all codes including handball while at school.

Henry stop talking shite please, your the first Kilkenny man to enter this board and your becoming a WUM
Sure haven't we Senior Hurling Clubs in Antrim dropping to Intermediate so that they can pick up an easy Ulster or All Ireland.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 07, 2010, 10:59:00 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on October 05, 2010, 09:20:28 PM
If both sides were as accomodating as Mr Ringland it would be a far better place. The GAA are doing a lot of work in trying to get unionism away from the view that it was once a recruiting ground for the
ira, in my opinion it never was.
But attitudes need to change and if changing names of grounds from Republican names is required then so be it.
Obviously we should not forget our past but a peaceful future and a sporting organisation for all would be a better legacy for the communities of the north and our children.
it will take years for unionism to get away from the bitterness it holds towards Nationalist people and their heritage.

WTF?  In your opinion it never was?
We all know for a fact it wasnt!
Hold on a second, are we going to De-Irish the GAA....It is an Irish Cultural and Sporting organisation...Why should we change names or drop Irish or drop the national Flag and Anthem? It is not going to attract any significant unionist support.we need to remember where we have come from, Sean Brown, Aiden McAnespie should not be forgotton, we can move on but we need to maintain or ethos.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: King Henry on October 07, 2010, 04:46:40 PM

What have you won?

Onlooker was spot on with what he said. It really grinds my gears when "GAA men" run down the other codes. If you don't like the other codes there's no one going to force them on you so why feel the need to run them down? BTW, take a redner on listing your medals, self praise is no praise...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...