Quote from: King Henry on October 05, 2010, 10:28:39 PM
Bit of a silly reason to quit IMO.
Politics should never come into Sport
That's a bit naive.

Orior

Exactly. But the leader of the UUP brought sport into politics by saying he would not attend Croke Park.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on October 05, 2010, 10:42:53 PM

Exactly. But the leader of the UUP brought sport into politics by saying he would not attend Croke Park.
He's from Fermanagh, christ they're unlikely to make an All Ireland Final!! :)

Maguire01

Quote from: King Henry on October 05, 2010, 10:49:36 PM

So what if he doesn't want to go,I bet none of you would really want him there anyway,what odds would it make to anyone.
Some lads go out of their way to be upset I think.
I wouldn't like to go to Windsor Park to a Northern Ireland game

I wouldn't be arsed going to a Gaelic Football match either so I can kind of see where he is coming from ;)
Yes, but you're not the leader of a political party. And his real objection to not attending a GAA match has nothing to do with a lack of interest in the sport.

Orior

So what if he doesn't want to go,I bet none of you would really want him there anyway,what odds would it make to anyone.

I wouldn't be arsed going to a Gaelic Football match either so I can kind of see where he is coming from ;)

We (the GAA) are forever being chasitised as a bigotted organisation, and pitched in the same light as the Orange Order. Nelson McCausland and his brethern withhold funding from the GAA which they should be entitled.

This sort of action the UUP leader endorses Nelson's stance.

You're a long way from the occupied six counties sir. You're right, nobody gives a toss what he does. But as a leader, he should lead, instead of inadvertently encouraging low-life to burn down GAA club houses.

Orior

Quote from: King Henry on October 05, 2010, 11:06:58 PM

Fair enough,But I can guarantee if he did decide to go to a Gaa match there would be lads on here giving out as to why a Unionist is going to Croke Park taking up a good gaels seat and what business did he have there anyway as no one wanted him there.

No, you're thinking of that "John 3:16" fecker, lol.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 05, 2010, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2010, 07:30:00 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 05, 2010, 06:57:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2010, 02:04:00 AM
Maith an fear, Trevor. You're ahead of your time.

Good to see a politician finally standing up for what he believes in. A rare breed indeed. Fair play to him.

Actually I'm more impressed that he stood up for what he probably doesn't believe in, in the interests of all of the community.
I think you're doing him a disservice. The interests of all of the community is exactly what he does believe in. As well as the important role of sport in achieving that. What would be the point in standing up for something you didn't believe in?

"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write."
Voltaire, letter to M. le Riche, February 6, 1770

MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: King Henry on October 05, 2010, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 05, 2010, 10:56:26 PM

Yes, but you're not the leader of a political party. And his real objection to not attending a GAA match has nothing to do with a lack of interest in the sport.

I know that but why let it bother you? Seriously do you really care that some Unionist doesn't want to go to a Gaa match?
Why would anyone care I don't get it..Maybe you have to be from the North but I don't see why anyone would give a dam.
Every one has their beliefs,if there his then let him have them,what loss is he to Croke Park anyway,he would only be taking up someones seat.
As I said I believe people really go out of their way to be offended.
As a nordy I agree 100% who really gives a toss and you are right too about the NI soccer team why would any self respecting person from the nationalist tradition want to be subjected to the sectarian crap that passes for "football" at windsor.

Eamonnca1

If a leading politician stands up in public and denounces the GAA in any shape or form, including refusing to go to its games or claiming ignorance about highly publicised upcoming games, then he is feeding into the same mentality that leads the bottom-feeders in society to go out and burn down GAA halls. If such knuckle-dragging neanderthals see their leaders attacking the GAA, then they're going to feel quite justified in their actions.

It may seem like an empty gesture to a southerner, but if you're a northerner who has put a lot of work into a GAA club and gets up in the morning wondering if his club has been attacked in the night, it's a very real concern.

This anti-GAA attitude takes many forms, ranging from active indifference to outright violence. For a leading politician to encourage the attitude rather than to try and overcome it is a major cause for concern. "Going out of your way to be offended" has nothing to do with it. It's a very real safety issue.

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2010, 11:42:11 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 05, 2010, 10:06:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2010, 07:30:00 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 05, 2010, 06:57:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2010, 02:04:00 AM
Maith an fear, Trevor. You're ahead of your time.

Good to see a politician finally standing up for what he believes in. A rare breed indeed. Fair play to him.

Actually I'm more impressed that he stood up for what he probably doesn't believe in, in the interests of all of the community.
I think you're doing him a disservice. The interests of all of the community is exactly what he does believe in. As well as the important role of sport in achieving that. What would be the point in standing up for something you didn't believe in?

"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write."
Voltaire, letter to M. le Riche, February 6, 1770
That implies that Ringland is merely tolerating the GAA. That's not the case.

anglocelt39

Indeed Henry, attending a sporting event as a neutral is never quite the same thing. You could always give your allegience to London in the NFL since they do the decent thing each year and round the football up to 32 participants ;D
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

5 Sams

The boys in New York will be delighted with you!!
The Aristocrat Years

Onlooker

I have always regarded "Hurling only" snobs from Kilkenny as sad people and as far removed from real GAA supporters that you can get.  I wonder does King Henry regard himself as a GAA man at all.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Onlooker on October 06, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
I have always regarded "Hurling only" snobs from Kilkenny as sad people and as far removed from real GAA supporters that you can get.  I wonder does King Henry regard himself as a GAA man at all.
They are a bit like the football only snobs on this site!! Both games should be promoted and played equally, we are fortunate to have the two best field sports in the world....loosen up and enjoy. :)

Applesisapples

Quote from: King Henry on October 07, 2010, 08:07:48 AM
Quote from: Onlooker on October 06, 2010, 09:55:16 PM

I am dedicated to my club and county,I would say I am more heavily involved in Gaa than you are,just because I am dedicated to hurling and have no real interest in Gaelic Football doesn't make me less of a Gaa man than you or anyone else,I would guess there are people who are the same as me but prefer Gaelic Football to Hurling,and good for them.

Also I have won 2 minor All Ireland winners medals,1 Intermediate All Ireland winners medal and 2 Club All Ireland winners medals.. (also numerous Leinster titles in hurling both club and county at various age groups)

What have you won?
Haven't you heard the GAA ethos is not all about winning!!