Handpass rule idea

Started by Eamonnca1, October 01, 2010, 11:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Just went for a walk and something came to me.

Ever notice how sometimes it's hard to tell if a hurler is throwing the ball or making the striking action of a handpass?  Maybe not, but I've seen it.  Can be hard to tell from a distance.

Well anyway.  What say we change the rule so that a player has to bounce the ball off the hurley before making the handpass?  So instead of popping the sliothar into the air and slapping it, he bounces it off the stick and then slaps it. Might make it clearer.  Might also inhibit the use of the handpass by making it less convenient.

Thoughts?

sammymaguire

Good idea. Get it passed by Congress and trialled in the National League
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Eamonnca1

I don't think this sort of thing comes from Congress, isn't it an executive decision to try experimental rules?

Asal Mor

I'd be very much against trying this. I don't think there's anything wrong with the game of hurling (apart from the fact that there's so few realistic contenders for the All-Ireland at all grades, but that's nothing to do with the rules). Tampering with the rules should only be done where there's a major flaw. If you make it more difficult to make a handpass then players will just get bottled up especially after fielding a high ball. There'll be two or three guys on top of them and they won't be able to release the ball to a team mate. You'll get a lot more frees for charging and overcarrying which won't do anything for the spectacle of the game.Some of this year's games like Galway v Offaly x2, Galway v Tipp and KK v Tipp showed how brilliant hurling can be when you get 2 fairly even teams. Unfortunately that's not happening enough at the top level.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera