BBC Newsline - Flags

Started by gallsman, September 28, 2010, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: winsamsoon on September 29, 2010, 12:48:14 AM
what was shocking about the piece was the fact that some guy is able to make a living out of selling union jacks and the rest( no tricolours of course). Just goes to show how bitter the other side are when they can provide someone with yearly living selling items that are no longer recognised

That shop has been open for years. Shouldn't come as any surprise.

T Fearon

Given the plethora of flags displayed all year round on both sides to mark out territories, I'd say the issue of flags is rather significant in this locality and the main point of this feature, which lasted all of three minutes, was that one tribe's cherished emblem is not recognised in official circles anywhere.

saffron sam2

Quote from: winsamsoon on September 29, 2010, 12:48:14 AM
what was shocking about the piece was the fact that some guy is able to make a living out of selling union jacks and the rest( no tricolours of course). Just goes to show how bitter the other side are when they can provide someone with yearly living selling items that are no longer recognised

Plenty for sale there, depending on the time of year. Need something for the top of the bonfires.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

AZOffaly

I was driving through Aughnacloy there yesterday. Some amount of Tyrone flags on view. Slightly different sight than what I was driving through out in East Belfast the day before :D I nearly felt like I was home :D

gallsman

Tony, once again, regardless of the fact that the reporter may be a "good Fenian from Crossmaglen," the standard of journalism in his report was woeful.

mackers

Quote from: T Fearon on September 28, 2010, 09:36:32 PM
Good God, some of you are easily offended! What the reporter, Conor Mc Cauley (a good Crossmaglen man) was explaining was the fact the North of Ireland flag (Ulster Flag) had no official status or recognition, and hasn't had since 1972 and emphasised that perhaps it was time for a new flag that would command cross community support. Surprise surprise a couple of people interviewed in East Belfast didn't like the green white and orange on one new design, one other was indifferent, and saliently the last interviewee said in his best John Hume imitation "You can't eat flags!"

I saw nothing to take umbrage with at all, the piece was informative particularly to unionists, in that it informed them that a flag they recognise and cherish has no official status whatsover. If anything it should raise a smile with nationalists far from causing offence
Eh..............no he's not......
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mackers on September 29, 2010, 10:47:52 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 28, 2010, 09:36:32 PM
Good God, some of you are easily offended! What the reporter, Conor Mc Cauley (a good Crossmaglen man) was explaining was the fact the North of Ireland flag (Ulster Flag) had no official status or recognition, and hasn't had since 1972 and emphasised that perhaps it was time for a new flag that would command cross community support. Surprise surprise a couple of people interviewed in East Belfast didn't like the green white and orange on one new design, one other was indifferent, and saliently the last interviewee said in his best John Hume imitation "You can't eat flags!"

I saw nothing to take umbrage with at all, the piece was informative particularly to unionists, in that it informed them that a flag they recognise and cherish has no official status whatsover. If anything it should raise a smile with nationalists far from causing offence
Eh..............no he's not......

I meant to say that, I don't know whether he is lauded by his fellow villagers either :P

T Fearon

Gallsman, what was woeful about his report? The subject itself, the content, his communication skills/method of delivery?

I thought it was concise, well delivered and overall a message for the numbskulls in this place (and there are tens of thousands of them) that palce great store on flags and lampposts

johnneycool

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on September 28, 2010, 09:36:04 PM
The fleg of the Northern Ireland State became obsolete in 1972 with the end of Stormont. The flag of Ulster is of course the yellow and red one - good to see the rugger fans at Ravenhill giving it a go! Finally, 'as Ulster as Carson' ...? for a man born and educated in Dublin to an Anglo-Irish family, that's a bit rich. That's like saying as Irish as Daniel Day-Lewis or as Black as Michael Jackson or as Pure as Iris Robinson OR as Armaghish as Paddy O' Rourke.

Ulster rugby is a nine county organisation.

Maguire01

Quote from: swing-er-over on September 28, 2010, 08:52:56 PM
interesting topic though....if there is to be a united ireland, there most likely would have to be a new flag....(i know some ppl may dispute this) but its a sad reality
It's not a sad reality at all - it would be a very small price to pay. I suppose the only 'sad reality' is that a good concept has become so distorted over the years, both by people who don't understand its meaning and by its misuse.