Fine Gael ends Dáil pairing agreement

Started by Zapatista, September 27, 2010, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 27, 2010, 04:34:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2010, 03:40:35 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on September 27, 2010, 12:55:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2010, 10:26:09 AM
An election will send bond rates past 7% probably. Bad news for people with mortgages.
not if they've a tracker!!

I don't know how the banks ever thought that selling trackers was a good idea. You link the interest paid on the loan to the ECB central rate (<2%) while funding a large portion of the book on the international money markets (6.5%) . Muppets.
In fairness to them they were obtaining finance at more or less the same rate as the ECB as it was the primary driver of the rate charged on euro denominated fund, and it was practically unheard of that the interbank rate would be much different from the ecb rate.  From their point of view they had a built in profit margin of approx 1%, and that's before taking into account that each mortgage granted meant more money could be borrowed thanks to the wonders of securitisation!!

Unless the same basis is used for funding and charging there is a mismatch risk. So the crisis came laong. And then some.
And now it is a shocking mess. The banks are now making miniscule margins on their loans- most of them are below 100bps.
It's a super deal for the tracker customer  but suicide for the banks.   

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

A bit unrelated to the pairing issue, but most certainly connected to the mess this government which needs to go now has made of this country. Anyone else hear that letter read out by George Hook on Newstalk. It makes me wish that we put the entire FF party on a plane to the States and then rescind their citizenship and banish the b**tards forever.

It was a shockingly sad letter.   >:(

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 27, 2010, 04:13:41 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
Is it just me or are Labour beginning to sound more and more like Fianna Fail everyday, say nothing controversial, populist politics and make the grab for power at all costs. Are Labour Fianna Fail-Bertie-Lite!

It's not just you. It's no wonder though as they prepare to run in every constituency they need the grassroots set-up that they are missing across the Country. Where best to get this but from those who's natural home is in FF and as such they will flock to the popular party of the day. This swing to Labour and away from FF should have Labour threading very carefully. Instead you have Gilmore spreading his arms welcoming them.

However, maybe Ruairi Quinn is right. FG were right to end the pairing but if the Junket in the US is seen as important then let her go. It should end there though.

Traditionaly I always thought a Fine Gael - Labour coalition was a good balancing mix, but daily Labours populist drivel is making me unsure. We do need to sort out this country after all, be it over 3 years, 5 years or 10, more of the same Bertiesque politics will ensure our ruination for deacades to come.

Maybe an overwhealmingly huge FG-Labour Coalition will reassure the International Markets as well as ensure no member of any other party or independent ever needs to pair with a Fianna Failure ever again.

You assume Labour won't go into coalition with FF. I wouldn't be so sure.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 05:23:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 27, 2010, 04:13:41 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
Is it just me or are Labour beginning to sound more and more like Fianna Fail everyday, say nothing controversial, populist politics and make the grab for power at all costs. Are Labour Fianna Fail-Bertie-Lite!

It's not just you. It's no wonder though as they prepare to run in every constituency they need the grassroots set-up that they are missing across the Country. Where best to get this but from those who's natural home is in FF and as such they will flock to the popular party of the day. This swing to Labour and away from FF should have Labour threading very carefully. Instead you have Gilmore spreading his arms welcoming them.

However, maybe Ruairi Quinn is right. FG were right to end the pairing but if the Junket in the US is seen as important then let her go. It should end there though.

Traditionaly I always thought a Fine Gael - Labour coalition was a good balancing mix, but daily Labours populist drivel is making me unsure. We do need to sort out this country after all, be it over 3 years, 5 years or 10, more of the same Bertiesque politics will ensure our ruination for deacades to come.

Maybe an overwhealmingly huge FG-Labour Coalition will reassure the International Markets as well as ensure no member of any other party or independent ever needs to pair with a Fianna Failure ever again.

I'm beginning to fear they will, a small bit as a Fine Gaeler, but overwhealmingly worried as a patriotic Irishman all party politics aside.

Zapatista

That's were I'd be putting my money at the minute.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zapatista on September 27, 2010, 05:36:55 PM

That's were I'd be putting my money at the minute.

If they do, Labour deserve to be destroyed too. It will be Fine Gael V Sinn Fein forever after.

funtime frankie

Lads what makes you think that the Blueshirts can deliver anything?

In this time of recession/depression its easy to sit on the sidelines and point the finger but if the Blueshirts were in power how do you know they would deliver?

Can you seriously trust an eejit like Enda Kenny to run this country? I have no faith in any party who has appointed such a numpty as their leader. I think that FG would be stronger with Richard Bruton at the helm.   

Whilst FF have pished the Nation's wealth and resources up against the wall I'm not so sure that the Blueshirts are the answer. In fact they're not the answer.

muppet

Quote from: funtime frankie on September 27, 2010, 05:51:44 PM

In this time of recession/depression its easy to sit on the sidelines and point the finger but if the Blueshirts were in power how do you know they would deliver?

Can you seriously trust an eejit like Enda Kenny to run this country? I have no faith in any party who has appointed such a numpty as their leader. I think that FG would be stronger with Richard Bruton at the helm.   

Whilst FF have pished the Nation's wealth and resources up against the wall I'm not so sure that the Blueshirts are the answer. In fact they're not the answer.

By your logic so we must re-elect Fianna Fail. The only strategy FF have is to ridicule the FG leader no matter who it is. Come election time Richard Bruton would have been lampooned by the Indo same as Kenny, Noonan and the other Bruton before them. Amazing how many idiots it works on though.

This country will shortly be bankrupted by the incredible stupidity of its citizens as much as any other reasons.

sadly no Irish paper would publish the following story. Why is that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/apr/22/pressandpublishing

O'Reilly newspapers back Ahern for third term

Henry McDonald, Ireland editor
The Observer,    Sunday 22 April 2007 11.34 BST
Article history
Sir Tony O'Reilly is to swing his Independent Newspaper group behind Bertie Ahern in the Irish general election next month.
The Observer has learnt that all three of O'Reilly's main national titles - the Irish Independent, the Sunday Independent and the Evening Herald - will back Ahern to get re-elected.

Support from the newspaper group that controls the overwhelming majority of the press in the Republic is a major boost for the Taoiseach. Fianna Fail sources said the party was 'cracking open the champagne this weekend' over the news.

The likely date of the election is Thursday 24 May. An alternative date is the following week but the 24th remains Ahern's preferred option to go to the country.

As well as editorials supporting the current Fianna Fail/Progressive Democrat coalition, high-profile Independent Group columnists such as Eoghan Harris in the Sunday Independent are also expected to call for the Coalition's re-election.

The shift in support away from Fine Gael to Fianna Fail in the Independent Group has been as significant as Rupert Murdoch's backing of Tony Blair prior to the 1997 UK general election.

If elected for a third time, Ahern will become the most successful Taoiseach since Eamon de Valera. Paul Bew, Professor of Politics at Queen's University and author of a new book on Irish history since 1789, said a hat trick would be truly historic. 'Bertie already broke the pattern set in Irish politics from 1969. Up until he was elected for a second time in 2002 every other Irish government served only one term from 1969 before they were kicked out. He has already made history and if he gets the hat-trick, that will be a stunning achievement.'

MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: funtime frankie on September 27, 2010, 05:51:44 PM

By your logic so we must re-elect Fianna Fail. The only strategy FF have is to ridicule the FG leader no matter who it is. Come election time Richard Bruton would have been lampooned by the Indo same as Kenny, Noonan and the other Bruton before them. Amazing how many idiots it works on though.

This country will shortly be bankrupted by the incredible stupidity of its citizens as much as any other reasons.

sadly no Irish paper would publish the following story. Why is that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/apr/22/pressandpublishing

O'Reilly newspapers back Ahern for third term

Henry McDonald, Ireland editor
The Observer,    Sunday 22 April 2007 11.34 BST
Article history
Sir Tony O'Reilly is to swing his Independent Newspaper group behind Bertie Ahern in the Irish general election next month.
The Observer has learnt that all three of O'Reilly's main national titles - the Irish Independent, the Sunday Independent and the Evening Herald - will back Ahern to get re-elected.

Support from the newspaper group that controls the overwhelming majority of the press in the Republic is a major boost for the Taoiseach. Fianna Fail sources said the party was 'cracking open the champagne this weekend' over the news.

The likely date of the election is Thursday 24 May. An alternative date is the following week but the 24th remains Ahern's preferred option to go to the country.

As well as editorials supporting the current Fianna Fail/Progressive Democrat coalition, high-profile Independent Group columnists such as Eoghan Harris in the Sunday Independent are also expected to call for the Coalition's re-election.

The shift in support away from Fine Gael to Fianna Fail in the Independent Group has been as significant as Rupert Murdoch's backing of Tony Blair prior to the 1997 UK general election.

If elected for a third time, Ahern will become the most successful Taoiseach since Eamon de Valera. Paul Bew, Professor of Politics at Queen's University and author of a new book on Irish history since 1789, said a hat trick would be truly historic. 'Bertie already broke the pattern set in Irish politics from 1969. Up until he was elected for a second time in 2002 every other Irish government served only one term from 1969 before they were kicked out. He has already made history and if he gets the hat-trick, that will be a stunning achievement.'

Because in this Country the Newsmedia and RTE are the enemies of Freedom and Democracy, with Fianna Fail spivs such as O'Connor and Tubthingy among many others controlling the chatshow lite agenda and Lord Haw Haws newsmedia, what do you expect.

muppet

I don't buy the RTE conspiracy personally. Most politicians believe that all the media are out to get them and support their opponents unfairly. Most of it is just personal paranoia.

But Tony O'Reilly's IN&M would appear to be an exceptional outfit for interfering in our democratic process.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:27:24 PM
I don't buy the RTE conspiracy personally. Most politicians believe that all the media are out to get them and support their opponents unfairly. Most of it is just personal paranoia.

But Tony O'Reilly's IN&M would appear to be an exceptional outfit for interfering in our democratic process.

You don't believe that Ryan the Andrews Tubridy isn't Ogra Fianna Fail in disguise and acting as the Greek Horse into our homes every weekend.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:38:23 PM

You don't believe that Ryan the Andrews Tubridy isn't Ogra Fianna Fail in disguise and acting as the Greek Horse into our homes every weekend.

No and I don't particularly care either.

What I want is this Government thrown out on their ear for bankrupting us. That means putting FG in next no matter how you look at it. If they then screw it up I want them turfed out onto the scrapheap and ideally something new to come in and replace them both.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 06:38:23 PM

No and I don't particularly care either.

What I don't want is this Government thrown out on their ear for bankrupting us. That means putting FG in next no matter how you look at it. If they then screw it up I want them turfed out onto the scrapheap and ideally something new to come in and replace them both.

Thats fair enough re: Fine Gael, thats how a mature democracy should work, but Ireland's so called democracy has been infintile for decades. Those addicted to the Fianna FAIL heroin have ruined us on so many levels not just fiscally.
I still believe there is something very rotten at the heart of RTE.

mylestheslasher

I think there is a strong possibility that FF and labour will go into a coalition. FG are a mess, even with FF at their lowest ebb they are not making inroads. Labour might be shy on publishing actual details but people who are struggling will see a vote into the left as a means to helping themselves more than a vote for conservative party no 2 Fine Gael. As much as I detest FF I have a serious problem with FG, their history, their leader (who is an idiot, his "I won't do business with SF" being the thing that annoys me most about him - talk about making an issue out of nothing). The country does not like Kenny and there is a strong possibility when people get into the poll both they will reject FG based on a dislike for Kenny and give Labour a strong bump. A stronger SF and maybe Greens/independents has an outside chance of making a 100% left government too.