OVER-RATED or under-rated you decide?

Started by lawnseed 2, February 19, 2007, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad The Impaler

Sean Og is a "clearance machine", what a fault in a back. He marked Henry in 2004 All Ireland Final & King Henry didnt do much. DJ may have given him a hard time unless it was in an All Ireland Final.....

imtommygunn

A clearance machine on loose ball because of athleticism. However he'll not dispossess defenders a la JJ Delaney or the like. Don't get me wrong - brilliant. Just donesn't have the flicks and hooks the real skillful boys do.

I'd have Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney, Ken McGrath or Tony Brown over him.

Still would love him for my county!

realredhandfan

under rated historically (except maybe in Derry) Tony scullion was the best tightmarking Ulster back of the last 20 years. 
Over rated historically:  Kevin Mc Cabe Tyrone..

Captain Scarlet

as a kildare man. on a national level Johnny Doyle is often forgotten about, he is overlooked coz we are crap at the mo.
over rated players the list are endless in kildare, great white hopes abound.

under
national level paul barden is shockin under rated, pure class. mcguigan as well, you see how important he is to tyrone when he is gone. times gone by o'cinneide who was more than a dead ball man. excellent vision too. anthony lynch too nearly forgot him.

over
yea mossy quinn, peadar andrews and goggins. how are they makin it still. peadar gardiner is a wing back who doesnt defend. sean cavanagh is a player still in search of his proper position too. dont think he is a proper midfielder.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Springfield

Over rated - Derrys defence.Supposedly very good with players such as K Mc Cloy, K Mc Guckain, SM Lockhart etc.
                 They have been brutal and it is now a weak point of the team

Under rated - F Doherty.A class midfielder to match any of the best in Ireland

J70

Quote from: full back on February 21, 2007, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on February 21, 2007, 01:50:04 AM
Underrated: N Murphy, K McMahon, T Griffin, O Moran, G Power, T Doyle, J Quane, J Doyle, M Fitzgerald, G Geraghty
Overrated: C Mortimer, J Bergin, SM Lockhart,
Overrated unless they've a good 07: C Cooper, S McDonnell, C Whelan, B Cullen,

How can you say Cooper is overrated unless he has a good 07?
Ach, I suppose you are right, he has done nothing so far in his career ::) ::)

That's a strange one alright! Every player loses his form at some point, as Cooper did in the early part of last season. However, he's a young lad who had lost his auld fella very suddenly, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. You don't lose the composure, accuracy and space-creating tricks that he possesses overnight.

ONeill

Overrated -- Mossey Quinn (does feck all apart from swing his leg sometimes)
Underrated -- Conor Gormley (deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Moynihan, McGeeney etc)

Overweight: Clarke, the O'Rourkes, Hughes, Keaveney.
Underweight: Cooper, Ricey, Mark Harte.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rosnarun

under rated C mortimer
obviously no one here thinks hes any good so its hard to see how hws over rated . hes bee top scorer for mayo for about 5 years in which weve reached 2 all ireland finals the guy almost never misses free and get no credit for it   and scoring is the  name of the game
ergo
underrated
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Handball Ace

The main reason no-one rates Mortimer is because he's such a twat

He rates himself highly enough anyway

caraghtyrone

Under Rated: Conor Gormley (Agree he should be mentioned along with Moynihan and Mc Geeney)  & Brian Mc Guigan (How he never got an all star in 05 I will never know!)

Over Rated: Raymond Mulgrew (So much hype for 1 so young and for me hasnt even shown glimpses of anything average never mind of any class!) & Davy Harte (He will be found out 1 day soon, in my opnion an average player)

Handball Ace

A few others from past and present

under rated: Declan McCrossan (tyrone) -don't know much about this fella but looked class when ever I saw him play, bit loose maybe for a defender but class with the ball

Johnny doyle - one of the top five forwards in the country, if he played for the Dubs he'd be the new Messiah

Raymie Gallagher - as sweet a left peg as there was in the country when he was at his prime. Could fire over line balls at his leisure

Dermot McCabe - around 97/98/99, he was the top midfielder in the country by a mile. Fair enough, got an all star but also carried Cavan to an Ulster final which they narrowly lost to tyrone in '01 and a league final

Paddy Bradley - best forward in ireland imho (probably get shot down by the anti bradley brigade here)

neil Gallagher  -every bit as good a fielder as O Se

Liam Doyle in hurling

Over rated: Nicholas Walsh definitely

David Brady - as one hack said "if he could turn around quick enough he'd ride himself"

Dessie Dolan

Sean Og O hAilpin

stephenite

Quote from: Handball Ace on February 21, 2007, 11:30:46 PM

David Brady - as one hack said "if he could turn around quick enough he'd ride himself"

That's as maybe, but I wouldn't say he's over rated as a footballer, well obviously I wouldn't. But I think most people would have him ahead of McCabe in any team. Brady has played in quite a lot of big games, All Irelands etc. And if your one of the main midfielders, well teams don't tend to get to All Ireland finals with bad midfielders IMO

Handball Ace

He wouldnt hold a candle to McCabe if they were both at their best in my opinion.

Plus, mayo 2003 (when they best an understandably weak tyrone, and then stumbled past star struck fermanagh before getting hammered) and 2005 (beat the pretty boys of Laois and Dublin, before getting destroyed) were the weakest team to make an All Ireland in living memory, so i doubt that holds water

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, we'd be gald to have him, what I'm saying is tjhat all the media posturing etc has led to him being perceived as a lot better than he is

stephenite

Quote from: Handball Ace on February 22, 2007, 12:04:47 AM
Plus, mayo 2003 (when they best an understandably weak tyrone, and then stumbled past star struck fermanagh before getting hammered) and 2005 (beat the pretty boys of Laois and Dublin, before getting destroyed) were the weakest team to make an All Ireland in living memory, so i doubt that holds water

I suppose Fermanagh beat an understandly weak Armagh as well that day  ???
You can only beat or be beaten by whats put in front of you

nrico2006

The fact that Brian McGuigan never got an all-star 2005 shows that he is under-rated, and even until tyrone lost him last year people never really appreciated how important he was to the side, he is the key player.  Declan Mc Crossan is also under-rated.  Hes only 27odd and pulled out of tyrone panel 2 years ago to 'build a house' just after he got married.  He lives outside strabane and still plays away for Owen Roes.  Not sure why there has never been talk of him coming back, maybe he just doesnt want to!  Very stylish left footer!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'