Ulster Minor Football Club Championship 2010 (at St Pauls)

Started by drici, September 03, 2010, 09:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Are there defined parish boundaries in Belfast as the way I see it in Lurgan there aren't and therefore players can transfer to any of the other clubs with ease. Would LD even be considered a 'real' Belfast team? Their pitch is a good bit out of the way...

gallsman

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 24, 2011, 05:05:25 PM
Are there defined parish boundaries in Belfast as the way I see it in Lurgan there aren't and therefore players can transfer to any of the other clubs with ease. Would LD even be considered a 'real' Belfast team? Their pitch is a good bit out of the way...

I played against them right the way up from U10 to minor and would have certainly considered them a Belfast club.

Most of their players came from the Glen Road schools when I played, so would definitely have been seen as "local" rivals.

CentreHalfBack

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 24, 2011, 08:44:25 AM
I don't agree with those posters who feel this is a major boost for Antrim football. What it is, is a major boost for expanding your catchment area to stretch from Lough (Neagh) to shining (Belfast) Lough; a major boost for the practice of raiding smaller clubs for their finer talents. How many of the LD that played on Saturday started their footballing careers at other clubs?

100% correct. Belfast select team
New season - new reason

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CentreHalfBack on January 24, 2011, 07:41:53 PM
I don't agree with those posters who feel this is a major boost for Antrim football. What it is, is a major boost for expanding your catchment area to stretch from Lough (Neagh) to shining (Belfast) Lough; a major boost for the practice of raiding smaller clubs for their finer talents. How many of the LD that played on Saturday started their footballing careers at other clubs?

100% correct. Belfast select team

Wouldn't say Lamhs are a big club for starters, so you're off the mark with part of your statement :D :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I think Belfast football is a lot different to the like of Beragh or Slaughtneil. There is no real 'catchment area'. Can you tell me what the catchment area is for each club? Is the Rossa's on the Falls Rd or down near the pitch? If you're from Coolnasilla who should you play for?

Also, underage football is notorious for players changing club. Take Clonoe parish in Tyrone - lads from U10-U16 often drift from Derrylaughen to Clonoe to Brocagh or Derrytresk before settling at senior level.

St Gall's are probably the masters of grabbing players from outside the club, from Fermanagh to St Endas.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.