AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Also, jas376, you're absolutely right that this is a discussion forum, so here's my two cents.

Cadogan and O'Leary are two of the filthiest c***ts ever to have played in Croke Park.

Rossfan

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 07:53:34 PM
good last 20 or so, pretty poor before that.

+1.
I dont know if it was because I didnt mind who won or that the game was poor  but I just coudnt get anyway excited or wound up abut the game today.
Still I don't expect Cork will be too bothered  8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

I wanted Cork to win because I think it'll be a weight off their shoulders and now they can get back to being a fast, direct, footballing team instead of the cagey, safety-first, lateral hand-passing outfit they have become.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bogball XV

Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2010, 08:31:05 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 08:00:45 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2010, 06:15:35 PM
to be honest down were there on a wing and a prayer, cork are great athletes but not great footballers. for the second time the boys in white coats could have seriously changed the outcome of the premier tournament. had down equalised or even won the rebels could have pointed to a clear penalty- denied.
it would have been a very harsh penalty imo, whilst he may have just touched the ball on the ground (but may not have) it had no influence on the ball, i'd liken it to an unavoidable ball to hand situation rather than the other way round.

f**k that, he blatantly lifted it off the ground about three inches from his goal.

Not having a go at you or anything but how on earth was it unavoidable??
i didn't see it as a clear lift, i thought he just barely touched the ball with his hand whilst it was on the ground, and that the ball was slightly off the ground when he took possession.  i'd need to see it again though, my auld eyes aren't as hot as they used to be.
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2010, 08:35:46 PM
Also, jas376, you're absolutely right that this is a discussion forum, so here's my two cents.

Cadogan and O'Leary are two of the filthiest c***ts ever to have played in Croke Park.
harsh, but they were definitely value to be booked.  And somebody won, cos if the punters didn't, then the bookies did.

Bogball XV

also I think a few people are being a harsh on cork, i've never credited them with having decent forwards but today sheahan, o'connor and kerrigan all took some great scores.  Their domination in the second half was total until about the 65th minute, which is why clarke and coulter looked poor (was very impressed with Poland today), down couldn't win any ball and forwards struggle without it.  Great run by coulter into his own half to win the ball for that point by fitzpatrick?  But it showed the lengths they had to go to try and win ball.
I wouldn't see this Down side hanging around too long, although maybe Rogers would make a big difference to that midfield.
Still, for a side that could have exited Ulster to Donegal, that was a great season.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 08:46:47 PM
also I think a few people are being a harsh on cork, i've never credited them with having decent forwards but today sheahan, o'connor and kerrigan all took some great scores.  Their domination in the second half was total until about the 65th minute, which is why clarke and coulter looked poor (was very impressed with Poland today), down couldn't win any ball and forwards struggle without it.  Great run by coulter into his own half to win the ball for that point by fitzpatrick?  But it showed the lengths they had to go to try and win ball.
I wouldn't see this Down side hanging around too long, although maybe Rogers would make a big difference to that midfield.
Still, for a side that could have exited Ulster to Donegal, that was a great season.

I thought Poland was excellent myself though not everybody i spoke to agreed. Have to say i thought Coulter had a good game, he won quite a bit of ball around the middle sector, his best position is probably midfield.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

INDIANA

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 19, 2010, 08:46:47 PM

the reason Cork don't look a great side is becasue they haven't any great players yet. Some of their younger ones should develop into great players but as yet thye haven't any bar maybe Canty. What they have is 20 very good inter county footballers. No other county has that. That is why they aren't as aethetically pleasing as other teams. However perhaps thye have a better winning formula then any other county.

Canalman

Just back from game......a cracking 2nd half.Cork by far the better team and amazed only 1 point in it at the end. Referee favoured Down imo.Emotional outcome with Murphy,Canty,O'Leary etc deservedly getting their AI medals.
Down's substitutions baffled me ........ lads taken off must have been injured. Counihan played a blinder.

Thought roof would come off when Sam was lifted.

Down by losing the AIF revert to the land of the mortals........ welcome to the club lads.

Pleasure to have been there.

Great to see pure character and failure to whinge/wallow in self pity rewarded today. Well done Cork.

Kerry Mike

better team won on the day well done the langers , its great to be from Munster.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Aaron Boone

Cork won the National League as well so the strong correlation between League & Championship continues.

thewobbler

Congrats to Cork, better team won on the day, playing a brilliant brand of football in the 2nd half. Their inside forward line was superb, while their midfield dominance - kudos to Nicholas Murphy- was amazing. Also, this is a Down team that loves scoring goals and never got a snuff today, which tells a story of a well organised defence.

I'd have minor gripes about 2 mins of injury time and dubious frees, but in truth if Down had have won, it would have been stolen.

The most telling thing for me today was the sheer athleticism of the Cork team. Forget hard training -down do plenty of that - this was just savage natural athleticism on view from the Rebels. The heavier ground suited them 100%.

Anyway thanks to James and the boys for a great year. It may have ended on a dampener, but pride is well and truly restored. Any Down fans feeling sore or disappointed now should just recall the overwhelming elation with 15 mins to go inbthe quarter final when we knew Kerry were gone, or the tremendous relief when that final whistle came against Kildare.

It's been a great year.

ardmhachaabu

Fair play to you wobbler for being gracious in defeat.  A lot of your county men on here could do with a lesson or 2 in humility
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

It's a very minor gripe, and probably as much to do with my dislike for Marty Morrissey, but I hate the way a microphone was shoved in Counihans face about 30 seconds after the final whistle so Marty can ask him a raft of stupid questions.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Did anyone find it strange that a Cork player swapped shirts after the match? Not sure who it was & he had Benny Coulters( I think) top on during the lap of honour. If I had just won an All Ireland I wouldn't be swapping tops.

Maiden1

Cork played the ball too short in the first 1/2.  Once they went more direct in the second they were just a little too good.  I would like to see Gordon play alongside his man a bit more, Cork I think tried to isolate him and O'Connor a bit.  Every free or 45 you just knew watching that Goulding would score.  Only losing by a point was no disgrace.  They could have maybe have nicked it if Hughes last fisted point had somehow landed in the net.  Playing in division 1 should help Down next year to get more experience of playing tough teams every couple of weeks.

Fair play to Cork they have had a lot of knockers but they are now league and AI winners.
There are no proofs, only opinions.