Where Now For Connacht Football.

Started by Shrewdness, August 05, 2010, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beard

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2010, 10:05:28 PM
Connacht football was in a much worse state in the early 90s. Mayo fans will remember 1993.
Galway couldn't win a Connacht title from 1988 to 1994. Things change and surely Mayo will improve and Ros are making shapes and Galway can do better and Sligo aren't that bad either..

Roscommon fans will remember it also. The Connacht Final that year was the worst game of senior championship football that I have ever seen.

ross4life

Quote from: Beard on August 10, 2010, 08:48:45 PM
Connacht football was in a much worse state in the early 90s. Mayo fans will remember 1993.
Galway couldn't win a Connacht title from 1988 to 1994. Things change and surely Mayo will improve and Ros are making shapes and Galway can do better and Sligo aren't that bad either..

Roscommon fans will remember it also. The Connacht Final that year was the worst game of senior championship football that I have ever seen.

Indeed we do, i also remember the weather that day to... we had like the four seasons in 2hrs  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on August 10, 2010, 08:47:49 PM
With his injuries i think we have seen the last of Casey in Roscommon colours as i said before Div 4 will give us a great opportunity to try out something new

GK Claffey
                     Fb line of Ormsby,Collins, McDermott
                     HB line of Purcell, Domican McKeague
                 3 man Midfield C. Shine, D. Shine, finneran
                     Same HF Line of Keenan, O'Gara, Cregg
                           Two man FF line of Devaney, Mannion

Sure if it doesn't work change it for the Championship

I'd imagine the Connacht title will give Ros a huge lift in all aspects. I would imagine ye to go and win Division 4 next year. But then again, there's a long way until next Spring and things might turn for better/worse for ye.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Beard on August 10, 2010, 08:48:45 PM

one 5 to seven points. Dempsey goal after a sublime pass by a young Kevin O Neill. Funny how a win gives a different perspective on things. I really enjoyed that one. i still have a grainy tape of it I ve watched several times. Mayo had good players then if anybody had a clue.

moysider

With his injuries i think we have seen the last of Casey in Roscommon colours as i said before Div 4 will give us a great opportunity to try out something new

GK Claffey
                     Fb line of Ormsby,Collins, McDermott
                     HB line of Purcell, Domican McKeague
                 3 man Midfield C. Shine, D. Shine, finneran
                     Same HF Line of Keenan, O'Gara, Cregg
                           Two man FF line of Devaney, Mannion

Sure if it doesn't work change it for the Championship

Why are you giving up on Casey for hb line? Thought he was great against Sligo.

Farrandeelin

Is it true that Mayo's scores were all from Knockmore men? ;D I was too young to go.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 10, 2010, 12:03:32 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 09, 2010, 11:42:27 PM
QuoteIn terms of football ability we are the best in Connacht

Just out of interest Sligonian how do you define football ability?
Good call, without any physical or mental advantage everything else is football ability to me. I count a game on 25% mental, 25%physical and 25% football ability and 25% team selection and tactics. ALot of Sligo people said we were on empty for final so physical for us would be 0%, mental in that were cocky and arrogant so again 0%, football ability 25% on the day, ye had mental 25% probably, 25% physical, as leitrim or london took feck all out of ye. Therefore our football abiltiy advantage counted for feck all on the day, which means everything in the teams potential with the ball in hand. See i would have ball winning in mental and physical, movement for me is mental again and ye destroyed us in those areas. I felt yere gameplan was to carry into tackles at pace and win frees and it worked, as ye have a great free taker which is partly football ability but reliant on a ref to give the frees. Now the above are just a simplistic analysis to get my point across, i dont think we were empty but roscommon had more in the tank mentally and physically and it negated our football ability advantage over ye. Yer management won the tactical battle too. Physically is fitness not size as i know ye dont see yourselves that way.

You got a bit sidetacked Sligonian. Genuinely I would like to see what you define as football ability.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2010, 10:11:22 PM

Injuries been 30 & finally winning his medal might be the reasons for early retirement
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 10, 2010, 10:17:12 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 10, 2010, 12:03:32 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 09, 2010, 11:42:27 PM
QuoteIn terms of football ability we are the best in Connacht

Just out of interest Sligonian how do you define football ability?
Good call, without any physical or mental advantage everything else is football ability to me. I count a game on 25% mental, 25%physical and 25% football ability and 25% team selection and tactics. ALot of Sligo people said we were on empty for final so physical for us would be 0%, mental in that were cocky and arrogant so again 0%, football ability 25% on the day, ye had mental 25% probably, 25% physical, as leitrim or london took feck all out of ye. Therefore our football abiltiy advantage counted for feck all on the day, which means everything in the teams potential with the ball in hand. See i would have ball winning in mental and physical, movement for me is mental again and ye destroyed us in those areas. I felt yere gameplan was to carry into tackles at pace and win frees and it worked, as ye have a great free taker which is partly football ability but reliant on a ref to give the frees. Now the above are just a simplistic analysis to get my point across, i dont think we were empty but roscommon had more in the tank mentally and physically and it negated our football ability advantage over ye. Yer management won the tactical battle too. Physically is fitness not size as i know ye dont see yourselves that way.

You got a bit sidetacked Sligonian. Genuinely I would like to see what you define as football ability.
Im not sure what you want me to say, Football ability is the technique of a player, his potential when he has the ball.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 10, 2010, 10:11:47 PM
Is it true that Mayo's scores were all from Knockmore men? ;D I was too young to go.
You're obsessed :D

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on August 10, 2010, 10:18:16 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2010, 10:11:22 PM

Injuries been 30 & finally winning his medal might be the reasons for early retirement

Yeah, ok. Knew he was wrecked by injuries but hard to believe he's already 30. Glad he got his medal. Fine player. You d never know, sometimes you get a good late run with no injuries in the 30 s. A lot of lads bow out too soon.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 10, 2010, 10:11:47 PM

It s true. 3 of the 5 scorers in the AI semi were Knockmore men as well. Do you see the county team as club individuals or club groups all the time Farrandeelin. Lord Liam always maintained that club rivalry ( I m being diplomayic here) prevented Mayo teams from gelling and seeing the big picture. I think Mayo seniors will be better now with the club scene less competitive. It s well known that at least 1 great club player stopped trying against Leitrim 94 and when cajoled by a club nemesis said ' what's the point?'

spectator

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2010, 10:06:45 PM
[quote author=Beard link=topic=17021.msg834465#msg834465 date=1281469725

one 5 to seven points. Dempsey goal after a sublime pass by a young Kevin O Neill. Funny how a win gives a different perspective on things. I really enjoyed that one. i still have a grainy tape of it I ve watched several times. Mayo had good players then if anybody had a clue.
[/quote]

That's the only thing I can remember from what was one of the most forgettable games of all time ... great pass in over the top & Dempsey finishing low along the ground to the right corner of the net across the keeper ... at the graveyard end.

Other than that I think I must have completely wiped the oul memory banks asap :D

muppet

Quote from: spectator on August 10, 2010, 11:33:16 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2010, 10:06:45 PM
[quote author=Beard link=topic=17021.msg834465#msg834465 date=1281469725

That's the only thing I can remember from what was one of the most forgettable games of all time ... great pass in over the top & Dempsey finishing low along the ground to the right corner of the net across the keeper ... at the graveyard end.

Other than that I think I must have completely wiped the oul memory banks asap :D
[/quote]

That is the only thing I remember about it as well.

After that we lost 5-15 to 0-10 points to Cork and then we lost every game in the League Division 1, were relegated to division 2 where we lost every game except one draw against Gaillimh, were relegated to div 3 where we won every game which in those days meant you got to the league quarter final where we beat Meath.
MWWSI 2017

spectator

Just pulled out the 2004 final program & see a report on it in there ... 62 frees awarded in 70 minutes play  ... 9 players booked and two sent off ... Mayo scored two points against the wind in the first half ... Ros managed one against it in the second half ... no score for either side over the final 14 minutes.

There's also a picture of the broken crossbar from the year before alongside ... spookily, the scoreboard in the background at that stage read Mayo 1-5 Ros 0-7 :o