Where Now For Connacht Football.

Started by Shrewdness, August 05, 2010, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Before Mayo people dump 93 on the pile, it would be, maybe, appropropriate to compare that to what we ve had to indulge the last 4 years. And who let things drift to that low. Mayo had very good individual players at that time. but the culture was cat. As it is now. The difference is probably we dont have the same player quality now. Then we had lads that could have won an AI and others that should have won one a few years later. But they had nothing done for them 88- 94. It was a joke.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2010, 11:25:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 10, 2010, 10:11:47 PM
Is it true that Mayo's scores were all from Knockmore men? ;D I was too young to go.

It s true. 3 of the 5 scorers in the AI semi were Knockmore men as well. Do you see the county team as club individuals or club groups all the time Farrandeelin. Lord Liam always maintained that club rivalry ( I m being diplomayic here) prevented Mayo teams from gelling and seeing the big picture. I think Mayo seniors will be better now with the club scene less competitive. It s well known that at least 1 great club player stopped trying against Leitrim 94 and when cajoled by a club nemesis said ' what's the point?'

In a word no. When a man pulls on the county jersey, he's a Mayoman, same as me, you and all the other people from this great county of ours. McHale could have been right though about the over-competitive club scene however, I don't know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Dont know how many know this but just going to repost here to remind all of ye of Connacht Club draw and dates for yere diary.

Sligo v Roscommon 17th October

Leitrim v Winners of Sligo/Roscommon 7th November

Mayo v Galway 7th November

Connacht Final 21st November

Roscommon champs wil be at home against us i presume. From what I seen last weekend not sure if Club football is that great in Sligo at the minute.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Castlerea are looking strong in Roscommon again but would like to see St Brigids or Clann na nGael win it this time as they would have more firepower for the Connacht championship
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Didn't Kevin O'Neill win an allshtar in 1993?

I remember Ross Carr writing in 1995 that a connacht team had the potential to reach an all-Ireland final within 10 years. 
And there in the flash of an eye a year later was Mayo giving Kerry a right going over.

I think when Mayo and galway get their mojos back and with Ros on the up the good times will be back again. 

western exile

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2010, 05:33:55 PM
Didn't Kevin O'Neill win an allshtar in 1993?

I remember Ross Carr writing in 1995 that a connacht team had the potential to reach an all-Ireland final within 10 years. 
And there in the flash of an eye a year later was Mayo giving Kerry a right going over.

I think when Mayo and galway get their mojos back and with Ros on the up the good times will be back again.
Should that not be NoJoe  ;)