Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: Qwerty28 on July 27, 2010, 10:06:54 PM
George Graham said the same about Graham Geraghty (Longford waterboy!!) when he went for a trial with Arsenal in the mid 1990's

But you see, he didn't....

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: dublinfella on July 27, 2010, 11:26:49 PM
George Graham said the same about Graham Geraghty (Longford waterboy!!) when he went for a trial with Arsenal in the mid 1990's

Dublinfella is correct there Qwerty.

George Graham did not say Graham Geraghty was one of the fittest players he's ever seen....................... Paul Merson did!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Turlough O Carolan

Could have been better than Mick O'Connell only for the drink.

Puckoon

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 27, 2010, 11:36:19 PM

George Graham did not say Graham Geraghty was one of the fittest players he's ever seen....................... Paul Merson did!

Without lying - I heard it was Ray Parlour.

blanketattack

If the Kerry team was in the Ulster C'ship instead of the Munster C'ship they wouldn't have won as many All-Irelands, particularly during the 70s and 80s.

Proof against this myth: Look at some of the Ulster teams' results in that era:
Kerry 0-23; Derry 0-10
Cork 5-10; Tyrone 2-4
Kerry 5-14; Derry 1-10
Dublin 5-12; Armagh 3-6
Dublin 1-16; Down 0-8
Kerry 5-14; Monaghan 0-7
Kerry 3-15; Armagh 1-11

If this was what was happening to the best team in Ulster surely the lesser teams in Ulster wouldn't have been too much trouble either?

blanketattack

Quote from: Puckoon on July 28, 2010, 12:58:07 AM

I'm genuinely not making this up, but I heard it was Lee Dixon.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Mayo can't win the All-Ireland because the Mayo team & the Sam Maguire overtook a funeral in the year dot.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

spuds

Quote from: blanketattack on July 28, 2010, 01:13:33 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 28, 2010, 12:58:07 AM

I'm genuinely not making this up, but I heard it was Lee Dixon.
it was john jensen so I heard
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stephenite

You're all wrong, Tony Adams it was

DoireGael

Quote from: LeoMc on July 27, 2010, 10:16:29 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 27, 2010, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on July 27, 2010, 05:41:49 PM
That GAA players are the fittest in the world.

See also Kevin Moran/Graham Geraghty/Anthony Tohill were on trial with British club x and player y said they were the fittest they have ever seen in their autobiography, but strangely no-one can find the actual quote.

Something has been more than a figment of your imagination before it becomes a myth. I've never heard anybody make that assertion in my life. Evidently it isn't true.

I have heard it of both Tohill & Geraghty. I think both times it was Aresnal got mentioned. Shortly afterwards there was talk of Tohill playing for Tobermore...

Tohill played for Man U reserves, fact

PadraicHenryPearse

did not all that stuff come from that tv programme with rubgy, soccer etc. players who used to compete against each other years ago. Spillane was on it i think.

AZOffaly

I actually heard it was Graham Geraghty said that. :D

Anyhow, kudos to BnM man. So many times I've heard 'Clare offered a replay'. Bogus.

DoireGael

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 28, 2010, 09:09:33 AM
did not all that stuff come from that tv programme with rubgy, soccer etc. players who used to compete against each other years ago. Spillane was on it i think.

It was an old show called Superstars, check it out on Pat, laochral Gael, on Youtube, I thought it was a really good concept. Pat doesnt do much for the sterotype, skin raw red in the sun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superstars_competitors

AbbeySider

That people used to ring the airport when Willie Joe Padden was playing in Croke Park

To tell them not to have airplanes flying over Croke Park, because he was going to jump so high he didnt want any mid-air collisions!

(There is a bit of truth in that one)

AbbeySider

That any player ever "lit up the pitch"