Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Anthony Tohill was a clean player.
Francie Bellew was a dirty player.
Mickey Harte is a genius.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

I am not a big fan of the "too small for intercounty football".

Armaghtothebone

The 1977 semi final between Dublin and Kerry was one of the greatest games ever.

ONeill

Football in the 70s was magical.

5 Sams

That if you're not careful you'll get a celtic cross in your change when you order a pint in a pub in Kerry.
Absolute bullshit....you don't get any change when you order a pint in Kerry....or anywhere else for that matter in the south these days ;)
The Aristocrat Years

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: dublinfella on July 27, 2010, 05:41:49 PM
That GAA players are the fittest in the world.

See also Kevin Moran/Graham Geraghty/Anthony Tohill were on trial with British club x and player y said they were the fittest they have ever seen in their autobiography, but strangely no-one can find the actual quote.

Something has been more than a figment of your imagination before it becomes a myth. I've never heard anybody make that assertion in my life. Evidently it isn't true.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

From the Bunker

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 27, 2010, 09:17:02 PM

See also Kevin Moran/Graham Geraghty/Anthony Tohill were on trial with British club x and player y said they were the fittest they have ever seen in their autobiography, but strangely no-one can find the actual quote.

Something has been more than a figment of your imagination before it becomes a myth. I've never heard anybody make that assertion in my life. Evidently it isn't true.

Heard it said of Larry Tompkins by Alan Shearer when he went for treatment in the late 80's early 90's. Then again, in them times Larry was animal fit!

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Qwerty28

George Graham said the same about Graham Geraghty (Longford waterboy!!) when he went for a trial with Arsenal in the mid 1990's

That Dublin v Kerry games in the late 70's were classics and better than anything since is a huge myth in my book!

Also, telling corner forwards, esp in underage games, to stay in the corner! (Although maybe that was only me that was told that!!)

ardal

Pat Spillane's (grand)mother can run faster than Francie Bellew, and she's got arthritis. She does fecking not have arthritis,

LeoMc

I have heard it of both Tohill & Geraghty. I think both times it was Aresnal got mentioned. Shortly afterwards there was talk of Tohill playing for Tobermore...

Kerry Mike

QuoteThen again, in them times Larry was animal fit!

And a biteen of sun on his ankles knocked him out, and thats no myth.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

From the Bunker

Remember Liverpool's Roy Evans was supposed to be keeping tabs of Sherlock when Dublin were making their AI run in '95. ;D ;D ;D ;D

ONeill

Quote from: LeoMc on July 27, 2010, 10:16:29 PM

I have heard it of both Tohill & Geraghty. I think both times it was Aresnal got mentioned. Shortly afterwards there was talk of Tohill playing for Tobermore...

Bear in mind that Tony Adams had 13 pints of stout in him and playing with a binliner under his clothes.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on July 27, 2010, 10:32:09 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 27, 2010, 10:16:29 PM

Bear in mind that Tony Adams had 13 pints of stout in him and playing with a binliner under his clothes.

That's nothing, Paul McGrath said he was once so drunk on the pitch he could see two balls.