DUBLIN V ARMAGH sat 17th @ 5.00pm croke park

Started by lawnseed, July 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerfArmagh

Great draw for Armagh, its an opportunity to gain real experience and see what the younger players are made of. I was at the fermanagh match on sunday, if we play anything like that next saturday we will be well beaten. It was quite a depressing perfromance. Both sides were appalling, Armagh agaion were very very negative, i lost cout the numbe rof times we broke into fermanaghs half of the field and there was only Clarke and mc donnell in our half of the field. Joe feeney had a nightmare, as did malachy mackin. Young clarke continues to impress, as doesswift who worked very hard. Hearty is playing very well at the moment. Big toner made a difference when he came on, I would start charlie in the half forwards against the dubs, who really struggle when run at. Looking forward to the match

Declan

QuoteThe DCB have intervened and instructed that O'Carroll be made available for the hurling game tonight.

Good news that

If Bastick is available I think he'll pick him in the HB line

Hound

Quote from: Declan on July 14, 2010, 09:53:37 AM
QuoteThe DCB have intervened and instructed that O'Carroll be made available for the hurling game tonight.

Good news that

If Bastick is available I think he'll pick him in the HB line
Forgot about Basto. I'm pretty sure he's available - suspension ended last Saturday night at midnight.

DuffleKing

what was he suspended for ?

was it retrospective for breaking charlie vernon's jaw?

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2010, 10:45:58 AM

He challenge a player off the ball and got them with a high tackle.

illdecide

I'm happy enough with Armagh's back six and goal keeper, 4 out of the six pick themselves and as for the other two positions I'm happy enough with whoever the put in as they're well capable. Midfield can hold it's own and break even with 80% of teams, our full forward line with Jamie Clarke and S McDonnell are two class acts. I know if Ronan clarke was fit that it would be the best full forward line in Ireland but it's Armagh's half forward line that's killing us and has been for the last 4 years, we just can't seem to pull a couple of natural scorers for that position.

We've tried everything the last few years and it hasn't worked, we have a defender playing at CF, we have midfielders playing wing half forward (and even corner forward) but until we get natural half forwards then we can forget about challenging for major honours. the Armagh team is fairly decent with only a few positions to fill to make us into a top team again.

A win on sat would be great and would give the young members of the team a major boost and i expect Armagh to win this one by 2pts
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

"natural half forwards" are a myth in the modern game. its a creative playmaker needed at centre forward - which we dont have - and two footballers at wing forward that can defend without the ball, win possession and support the attack.

mackers

Quote from: Uladh on July 14, 2010, 12:22:32 PM
"natural half forwards" are a myth in the modern game. its a creative playmaker needed at centre forward - which we dont have - and two footballers at wing forward that can defend without the ball, win possession and support the attack.
I think that Nippy is growing into this role and the fact that he isn't the finished article just yet is down to the previous management not even including him in last year's panel!! Some posters seem to think he's a midfielder but he has played a good bit of football in the forward line and can take a score. Young Grugan is my big hope for another wing forward and would like to see him taken through the ranks ASAP. CHF remains a problem though. We've been unlucky with injuries to Toner, Lavery and Ronan Clarke as we would be closer to a team challenging for honours with all these on board.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: Uladh on July 14, 2010, 12:22:32 PM

Sorry don't agree with ya there, the Cf should yes in theory be a creative playmaker but the other two half forwards need to be scoring forwards who can put the ball over the bar, our problem is we have half forwards that are natural midfielders and are not known for their scoring abilities which snowballs more pressure on our FF line, yes they work hard and defend but cause little to no scoring threat whatsoever and until that changes we will not be competing for major honours.

Cork, Kerry and Tyrone have 6 scoring forwards and that's why they're the top 3 teams in the country
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

you take er!

I agree with Mackers that Rory Grugan is perhaps a natural half forward and should be brought on asap. he started for U.21's this year and was one of the best players on view. next year should be his year to begin to establish himself. Brian Dooher was won an all-ireland minor in 1993 and was drafted on to the senior panel in 1995 it hasn't harmed him any.

BerfArmagh

Lyons backs Dubs

Former Dublin manager Tommy Lyons
14 July 2010

Tommy Lyons has tipped Dublin to beat what he regards as an over-rated Armagh team in Saturday's All-Ireland football qualifier at Croke Park.

The Orchard County put paid to Dublin's All-Ireland ambitions in 2002 and 2003 when Lyons was Dubs boss, but he is confident that the Metropolitans will avenge those defeats at the weekend.

"I think Dublin can only improve and I think Armagh haven't really improved," he said.

"They won the league (Division 2) and then they didn't play well the first day.

"Donegal were dispirited, it was local rivalry against Fermanagh, and Armagh aren't as good as people think they are - they are untested. I think if Dublin get pace into their play, they will win.

"The big problem is if they allow their full back line to be exposed again and Jamie Clarke and Steven McDonnell will do damage. I like (Eoghan) O'Gara, (Michael Darragh) McAuley and the two Brogans."

Hardy

Tommy Lyons is my octopus in reverse. I'm lumping on Armagh.

Armaghgeddon

What I would like to see next year is a lot of new young forwards for Armagh. Who better to learn from Stevie McDonnell and Ronan Clarke.

This was always my problem with our midfield. Toal and Loughran were always going to replace McGrane and McGeeney when they left. Unfortuantely Toal's career was ended and Loughran never played again and because of it the Midfielders were thrown in at the deep end.

heffo

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2010, 10:45:58 AM

Vernon got a hospital ball and Bastic went for it with his eyes on the ball - that notwithstanding, I hear Mickey Linden is doing up his dental expenses arising out of a challenge from your erstwhile fullback..

Onlooker

Hound, I would not agree that the Dublin full back did well against Tipperary.  The Tipperary full forward line scored 1-11, of which 1-6 was from play.  Barry Grogan and Philip Austin are probably Tipp's best players, but Stevie McDonnell is something special and young Clarke looks to be a very promisiing player.  I think the Dublin full back line will find the going tough on Saturday, but maybe the Brogans will swing it for Dublin.