What should be done about the Leinster Final Fiasco?

Started by muppet, July 11, 2010, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should be done?

Award Louth the title and Meath enter qualifiers
39 (22.8%)
Order a replay
69 (40.4%)
Meath are champions and Louth enter qualifiers
63 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Capt Pat

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2010, 12:49:04 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 12, 2010, 12:47:10 AM
The GAA will side with Louth on this one, an extra day out at Croke park will mean more €€€€€€

However county boards will challenge reults more often if a team is hard done by.

They cannot and should not. It would be such a ridiculous precedent.

I don't think it would, nothing like this has ever happened before. I have never seen the outcome of a match being so badly messed up by such a poor refereeing decision in the last second of the game. The only way a precedent would be set is if the same incident happened again which is very unlikely.

orangeman

Galway were beaten on Saturday it could be argued by another refereeing error. Jimmy White gave Wexford a penalty that kept Wexford in a game that Galway dominated.

I can't see there being a replay.

I don't really understan the calls fo a replay anyway. Why aren't people calling for the game to be given to Louth instead ?

Zapatista

Not to mention last years Hurling All Ireland final when KK were awarded a penalty for a foul comminted outside the large square. Should Tipp have got a replay? No.

Mac2

Quote from: orangeman on July 12, 2010, 09:29:25 AM
Galway were beaten on Saturday it could be argued by another refereeing error. Jimmy White gave Wexford a penalty that kept Wexford in a game that Galway dominated.

I can't see there being a replay.
I don't really understan the calls fo a replay anyway. Why aren't people calling for the game to be given to Louth instead ?
Neither do I push for the game to be awarded to Louth & yes justice will be felt to have been executed in this case but that ignores the nature of the GAA and the huge pressure on managers to deliver, this case will be cited for penalty awards,(Galway game, Sligo game against Armagh a few years back, sideline balls that never were (Mayo v Meath last year) and so on..

Capt Pat

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2010, 12:49:04 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 12, 2010, 12:47:10 AM
The GAA will side with Louth on this one, an extra day out at Croke park will mean more €€€€€€

However county boards will challenge reults more often if a team is hard done by.

They cannot and should not. It would be such a ridiculous precedent.

Declan

An absolute joke really. Haven't read through all the posts on the threads but the gobshites who went after the ref need to be dealt with immediately and banned. Just shows how important it is that crowds are stopped coming onto the pitch.
Really feel for the Louth lads. Can't imagine how they must be feeling to be cheated out of a famous win like that. What do the Meath lads think of Sheridan's actions?
To me he's the a bigger culprit than the ref. The offer of a replay may go some way in redressing the injustice but in reality the Cup should be residing in the Wee County.
I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around and I know it's hard but the Louth lads should just get on with it and go through the qualifiers. Meath will get their "reward" on another day
Another thing it highlighted to me is that "pundits" really shouldn't be involved in their county's matches. Watching o'rourke last night I felt like putting my boot through the telly

Shamrock Shore

Lads I can bore ye to tears with incidents of goals allowed/disallowed when they shouldnt have been, penalties, square balls, off-the-ball incidents, yada yada yada.

1. The ref/umpires made a balls of it and this should be officially noted by the Leinster Council. Sludden should be 'busted down' to beat patrol in referee terms.
2. Joe Sheridan should be man enough to admit he tried a fast one and stop saying he was 'pulled over' the line or whatever guff he came out with.
3. Louth CB identify the gombeens on the pitch and make sure they are barred from any GAA activity for life
4. Thus ends the matter.

Meath are Leinster Champions, tainted some may say, but that's life. Louth should pick it up for the Qualifiers and make a serious go of it.

Uladhabu

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 12, 2010, 09:58:42 AM
Lads I can bore ye to tears with incidents of goals allowed/disallowed when they shouldn't have been, penalties, square balls, off-the-ball incidents, yada yada yada.

1. The ref/umpires made a balls of it and this should be officially noted by the Leinster Council. Sludden should be 'busted down' to beat patrol in referee terms.
2. Joe Sheridan should be man enough to admit he tried a fast one and stop saying he was 'pulled over' the line or whatever guff he came out with.
3. Louth CB identify the gombeens on the pitch and make sure they are barred from any GAA activity for life
4. Thus ends the matter.

Meath are Leinster Champions, tainted some may say, but that's life. Louth should pick it up for the Qualifiers and make a serious go of it.

Totally agree A Chara, and just to add to this the Ulster College's should take his details from their website Tyrone Referee's, I.E Mobile Number etc from the contacts section, I am sure he's getting enough hassle even though I think he's deserves the criticism totally he has a family and all that!

Galwaybhoy

Between FIFA and the GAA and after all the shocking decisions that were made over the last few months I don't understand why nothing is never learnt from it.  IMO the GAA is more to blame than anyone for what happened yesterday.  The media will use this as a reason to bash the GAA and rightly so.  When you look at other sports and competitions such as The National Football League (American Football) where very little is left to chance it just shows how incompetent the GAA really are.  In this day and age there is no excuse not to have video ref in Championship matches to stop these mistakes from reoccurring.  Refs and umpires should be trained to the highest degree but even then they are only human and mistakes will be made, having a video ref would put an end to the these sort of situations occurring.  American Football have it, Rugby have it, many other sports have it, why can't we have it in the GAA?

blanketattack

Replays have been awarded previously for timing issues (Clare v Offaly '98), a score incorrectly awarded by an umpire (Laois v Carlow '95) and for a goal scored from a penalty that seemed fine but was actually disallowed (Galway v Roscommon '89).

The incident in the Louth-Meath match would come under the "a score incorrectly awarded by an umpire" category and so the precedent has been set and thus a replay should be awarded.

Hound

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 12, 2010, 10:09:36 AM
Between FIFA and the GAA and after all the shocking decisions that were made over the last few months I don't understand why nothing is never learnt from it.  IMO the GAA is more to blame than anyone for what happened yesterday.  The media will use this as a reason to bash the GAA and rightly so.  When you look at other sports and competitions such as The National Football League (American Football) where very little is left to chance it just shows how incompetent the GAA really are.  In this day and age there is no excuse not to have video ref in Championship matches to stop these mistakes from reoccurring.  Refs and umpires should be trained to the highest degree but even then they are only human and mistakes will be made, having a video ref would put an end to the these sort of situations occurring.  American Football have it, Rugby have it, many other sports have it, why can't we have it in the GAA?
Video ref wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference yesterday. Sludden didnt want to hear what the umpire wanted to say, so he wouldnt have gone to a video ref either.

Zapatista

Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2010, 10:13:20 AM
Replays have been awarded previously for timing issues (Clare v Offaly '98), a score incorrectly awarded by an umpire (Laois v Carlow '95) and for a goal scored from a penalty that seemed fine but was actually disallowed (Galway v Roscommon '89).

The incident in the Louth-Meath match would come under the "a score incorrectly awarded by an umpire" category and so the precedent has been set and thus a replay should be awarded.
In this case a foull was commited by a player by throwing the ball. Replays hould not be awarded for a player throwing a ball regardlass of where it lands.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hound on July 12, 2010, 10:15:30 AM

Video ref wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference yesterday. Sludden didnt want to hear what the umpire wanted to say, so he wouldnt have gone to a video ref either.

Why are you so blind to reason on this?

JMohan

Quote from: Declan on July 12, 2010, 09:58:02 AM
An absolute joke really. Haven't read through all the posts on the threads but the gobshites who went after the ref need to be dealt with immediately and banned. Just shows how important it is that crowds are stopped coming onto the pitch.
Really feel for the Louth lads. Can't imagine how they must be feeling to be cheated out of a famous win like that. What do the Meath lads think of Sheridan's actions?
To me he's the a bigger culprit than the ref. The offer of a replay may go some way in redressing the injustice but in reality the Cup should be residing in the Wee County.
I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around and I know it's hard but the Louth lads should just get on with it and go through the qualifiers. Meath will get their "reward" on another day
Another thing it highlighted to me is that "pundits" really shouldn't be involved in their county's matches. Watching o'rourke last night I felt like putting my boot through the telly

Couldn't agree more

They should bring that in

orangeman

It sounds like a lot of people are saying the equivalent of this : we're part of a great organisation, but we're not perfect and when we do make mistaks that are glaringly obvious, you just have to be prepared to put up with those injustices / mistakes, cos we've no "mechanism" with which to deal with them.

Surely, if there is no "mechanism" to deal with clear errors, then there should be a means created in order to remedy errors ?.

It's not as if the authorities can't bring in legislation to deal with these things ?.

As we've seen recently with the hand pass rule, where there's a will, there's a way.